UFC cutting Josh Thompson is a travesty... wtf!

Sponsor dollars are not part of either contract.

That's between the fighter sponsor. It wouldn't be considered in a matching dispute.

Isn't that up to the fighter? He can tell which one would be the better deal and he let his contract expire, I don't think their is any matching dispute.

Isn't that up to the fighter? He can tell which one would be the better deal and he let his contract expire, I don't think their is any matching dispute.

UFC has the right to match regardless of what the fighter thinks.

Whatever potential earnings from sponsors in either org wouldn't be part of the dispute because they are not guaranteed contractually by either organization.

The matching would be based solely on the dollar amount of the contract offered by Bellator and sponsors would have not a thing to do with it.

This. I think it is a travesty how many people on Sherdog don't seem to know the difference. The UFC wanted Thomson on the roster. Thomson made the decision to leave. You can't fault a guy for going with the better money.

That really is not true
Ariel posted an email (after Josh called him out) that was from Zuffa to Josh, stating that he is free to negotiate with anybody & that they would not match.

That is a release (cut)

Sherdog does not care for the guy, but I always enjoy watching him fight.
F
or me it is all Mma, I will enjoy watching him in Bellator as I enjoyed him in the Ufc.

That really is not true
Ariel posted an email (after Josh called him out) that was from Zuffa to Josh, stating that he is free to negotiate with anybody & that they would not match.

That is a release (cut)

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that. If the UFC told Josh his contract was up and that they didn't want to renew it, then yes, that is being cut.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that. If the UFC told Josh his contract was up and that they didn't want to renew it, then yes, that is being cut.

Josh's manager still went back to the UFC with the offer they received from Bellator hoping to get a matching offer from UFC even after being told he could walk.

It is clear that Josh left on the UFC's terms no matter how you slice it.

]UFC has the right to match regardless of what the fighter thinks.
[/B]
Whatever potential earnings from sponsors in either org wouldn't be part of the dispute because they are not guaranteed contractually by either organization.

The matching would be based solely on the dollar amount of the contract offered by Bellator and sponsors would have not a thing to do with it.

When their contracts are up? Josh Thomson wasn't under contract, he let it expire to test free agency.

I think what you are saying is true when a fighter still has fights left on their contract.

That really is not true

That is a release (cut)

You can not cut a free agent. You don't understand sports or contracts

When their contracts are up? Josh Thomson wasn't under contract, he let it expire to test free agency.

I think what you are saying is true when a fighter still has fights left on their contract.

A fighter can't look for other contracts when they're still under contract....

A fighter can only look for contracts when they complete their contracts and become a free agent.

Most major orgs have matching clauses and can match any offer the free agent receives. UFC and Bellator do anyway.

You can not cut a free agent. You don't understand sports or contracts

But you can tell a free agent trying to resign with you to fuck off, and that's what the UFC did here.

Glad he's going to Bellator; they have some really legit guys and even though Josh is on the tail end of his career, he's a great fighter.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/11/9135047/dana-white-ufc-released-josh-thomson

MMAFighting.com obtained an e-mail, entitled "Josh Thomson offer," sent from Thomson's manager Bob Cook to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva on Aug. 10, which backs up this report.

"I know you said it wasn't necessary," Cook wrote in the e-mail, "but here's the offer for Thomson[. I] was trying to do everything by the book. The sooner you can let me know we can proceed would be appreciated thank you."

As reported earlier, Silva didn't match the offer sent to him on Aug. 10, nor did he offer a new contract.

MMAFighting.com later reached out to Cook for further comment, but he politely declined to discuss the matter on the record. Multiple sources close to Thomson did confirm that while preliminary contract talks occurred months before Thomson's contract expired, no new deal was offered following the July 15 Ferguson fight.

EDIT: I was wrong about who sent the email to whom though (I had it reversed), but same outcome

Semantics, UFC let him go because they did not want him

You are one of those "You are fired - no I quit" guys I see

What are u talking about? The Ufc tried to resign him. Obviously they didn't cut him.

Either way it matters little. He's 36, no longer ranked and coming off 3 straight losses.

He's way more valuable to Bellator than the Ufc. Him leaving means little to nothing to the Ufc.

What are u talking about? The Ufc tried to resign him. Obviously they didn't cut him.

Either way it matters little. He's 36, no longer ranked and coming off 3 straight losses.

He's way more valuable to Bellator than the Ufc. Him leaving means little to nothing to the Ufc.

Didn't you read the article?

They tried to resigned him MONTHS ago before his contract was finished and before his last fight.

After that performance they decided not to offer him a new contract and when Joe Silva was approached by Bob Cook with Bellator's offer he declined to match.

THEY LET HIM WALK.

Sponsor dollars are not part of either contract.

That's between the fighter sponsor. It wouldn't be considered in a matching dispute.

That's both literally wrong and effectively wrong. To the former, sponsor dollars are a part of the UFC contract. To the latter, UFC sponsor dollars are effectively capped at the level of the Reebok contract while Thompson and his agent probably have a reasonably sound picture of the sponsors dollars available to him in Bellator where that effective cap doesn't exist. And you're smart enough to know this too so stop trying to insult my intelligence.

A fighter can't look for other contracts when they're still under contract....

A fighter can only look for contracts when they complete their contracts and become a free agent.

Most major orgs have matching clauses and can match any offer the free agent receives. UFC and Bellator do anyway.

But you can tell a free agent trying to resign with you to fuck off, and that's what the UFC did here.

That's just the UFC's way of saving face when they let someone go that they don't want as much as someone else when they are still a top fighter. They tried to pull the same line when Werdum and Hendo left for more money.

Back