UFC cutting Josh Thompson is a travesty... wtf!

He lost 3 in a row. No reason for the UFC to keep him.

Umm, have you watched any of his fights? Very durable just gets hurt sometimes... He hasn't been finished in 11 years buddy.

he's talking about all the injuries Thompson has had throughout his career.

Can we talk a bit about your account, TS?

respect

They don't want to pay out that Strikeforce money even if he is a top guy. The UFC is fuckin' cheap and economically they unfortunately making the right move because they can throw in some non top 20 fighter to fill his place on a card and no one will complain.

He wasn't cut. He didn't like the level opponents he was losing to, didn't like the sponsorship stuff, didn't like the pay he was given and chose to walk away. Good for him.

Helwani published an email from Zuffa to Josh that said otherwise

They told him they would not match any offer and he was free to sign with anybody

You really think an 0-3 & 1-4 fighter that is 37 is calling the shots over the #1 org?

Umm, have you watched any of his fights? Very durable just gets hurt sometimes... He hasn't been finished in 11 years buddy.

He's pulled out of at least 5 fights that I can recall just off the top of my head and been injured during at least 2 more.

I also attended his fights against Melendez (II) and JZ.

With UFC giving title shots to people coming off losses it's weird they don't try harder to keep an exciting fighter like Thompson even if he is 0-3 in his last 3.

They should have, the guy is a top fighter.

Not matching Bellator's probably low offer is essentially cutting him without directly cutting him

* Bellator offered him the ability to get his own package of sponsors.

* UFC is contractually unable to match that offer.

* Bellator wins

He costs a lot of money and wasnt winning, why would they match the offer?

TS you should probably know some facts before ranting, he was not cut, Bellator offered him more $ and the UFC did not match so Josh left for the $. Good for him, hope he makes bank and kicks some ass

He didn't get cut. He got offered a better deal that the UFC didn't match.

This. I think it is a travesty how many people on Sherdog don't seem to know the difference. The UFC wanted Thomson on the roster. Thomson made the decision to leave. You can't fault a guy for going with the better money.

They should have, the guy is a top fighter.

Not matching Bellator's probably low offer is essentially cutting him without directly cutting him

No its not and Bellator probably paid him well.

You're a drama queen

He didn't get cut he likely got more money directly from Bellator and will get more money from sponsors than he did from Reebok. I hope more fighters wait out their contracts and see what their value is with the other organizations.

Josh is worth keeping around, but from the UFC's perspective not worth the 85,000 he was making before. Or heck, maybe he wanted more money on top of that to make up for no sponsors.

UFC offered Thompson a contract, but Bellator offered him more money.

* Bellator offered him the ability to get his own package of sponsors.

* UFC is contractually unable to match that offer.

* Bellator wins

Sponsor dollars are not part of either contract.

That's between the fighter sponsor. It wouldn't be considered in a matching dispute.

Back