UFC cuts nine fighters

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The UFC has reportedly cut nine fighters from the roster to make way for their Strikeforce recruits. MMA Opinion was first with the list of names, which includes light heavyweight Chad Griggs (0-2 UFC) and bantamweight Jeff Hougland (1-2 UFC). Here are the departures:

- Chad Griggs
- Yasuhiro Urushitani
- Henry Martinez
- Joey Gambino
- Nick Penner
- John Cofer
- Jeff Hougland
- Marcus LeVesseur
- Jared Papazian

From www.mmaliveshere.com

They should have given Griggs one more chance. He always brings it and only had one fight at LHW (his new weight class)

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more cuts to follow this year, there will probably be a lot of streamlining going on. And it's a necessary move now, really. A lot of guys they have signed are below UFC-calibre.

They should have given Griggs one more chance. He always brings it and only had one fight at LHW (his new weight class)

Maybe if he was at least somewhat competitive in one of his 2 UFC fights. He was completely steamrolled in both with no offense whatsoever and I think we saw enough of him to know he can't compete in the UFC.

I like watching him fight but honestly I'm not even sure how he'd do in Bellator. Let's see him fight Babalu or something lol

i remember a time when if someone gave me a list 10 UFC fighters...i would be able to tell they were UFC fighters just from their names...

Wish they would have given Griggs and Martinez one more chance but I understand why they'd get cut.

Everyone else makes perfect sense

Feel bad for these guys.. Hope getting cut makes them more motivated and determined to get better.

No! Not the Grave Digger!

I'm ok with all of these particularly Papzian. I don't like how he acts

I feel like Griggs could have had another fight. But... well I guess he can always head over to Bellator.

The only one I dont remember is nick penner. Anyway, seems fair I guess, I like jeff but its all good

You can lose in the UFC, but you'd better do it in exciting fashion. Getting subbed twice in a row in the first round for Griggs against guys not known for submissions is not the way to keep employed.

Maybe if he was at least somewhat competitive in one of his 2 UFC fights. He was completely steamrolled in both with no offense whatsoever and I think we saw enough of him to know he can't compete in the UFC.

I like watching him fight but honestly I'm not even sure how he'd do in Bellator. Let's see him fight Babalu or something lol

He would never be a contender and LHW is one of the toughest divisions but he should have faced someone like a Joey Beltran. These type of gatekeepers are entertaining and should have their place on the undercard.

He would never be a contender and LHW is one of the toughest divisions but he should have faced someone like a Joey Beltran. These type of gatekeepers are entertaining and should have their place on the undercard.

I agree with keeping gatekeepers who put on fun fights, I'm not one of the types who thinks only championship contenders should be on the roster lol.. I just think those 2 fights were SO one sided it's pretty clear he's in over his head and belongs in a smaller promotion

Although if anything, Beltran should be cut and Griggs kept considering his last fight was boring AND he got busted for PEDs.

Agreed completely, Griggs is a warrior but the UFC supposed to be for the top guys.

You can lose in the UFC, but you'd better do it in exciting fashion. Getting subbed twice in a row in the first round for Griggs against guys not known for submissions is not the way to keep employed.

Well, they were exciting... but it'd probably be exciting to watch me try to fight Cain Velasquez too if you like quick finishes.

Because Cain can't take my power! :cool::eek:

Back