UFC Cruiserweight (206-230) why does this not exsist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch-Face.com

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Watching Ngannou and Bojan highlighted this huge issue in the UFC for me. I don't know who signed off on the idea that weight stops playing a factor once you go over 205 pounds, but it makes no sense and should be corrected ASAP. I wrote a short opinion piece on this subject on my MMA blog where I go a little more in depth on the matter, please check it out if you have a sec and any feedback would be appreciated.

http://punch-face.com/2016/07/26/call-for-cruiserweights

Because LHW and HW are 2 of the weakest divisions in MMA and putting a weight class in between them would be idiotic. What is your goal in suggesting this? Most every HW in the UFC could cut to 230 except maybe 5 or 6.

You want even fewer guys fighting at HW? That's not going to go over well...

cause it would be garbageweight

I wouldn't oppose it. The challenge is that the depth of the LHW and HW divisions is both not deep enough currently to spread the two divisions over 3. Obviously if there were enough quality fighters to span these three WC's, it (IMO) would be a no brainer.

Possibly lifting the weight limit cap on HW, adding the cruiserweight division and removing the absolute UFC "exclusive contract" policy could help, but even then I am not sure that there would be enough quality fighters to make it work out!

I'd like to see it

It seem the solution for HW's overpopulation problem, too many and too good for one single division

The best HWs we've had in MMA haven't been the huge guys

It seem the solution for HW's overpopulation problem, too many and too good for one single division
you said it. time to give those top tier, unranked HW's a place to shine

I'd be fine with a 230 division and lifting the 265 pound limit on HW.

It's less of an issue now that USADA prevents "prime" Brocks and Carwins (and Ubereems) from existing, and guys like Bigfoot can't take their medicine. It would mostly just cause Hunt and Roy to get fatter, I imagine.

HW and LHW are thin enough. No need to over saturate.

There are more small people in the world anyway.

removing the cap at Heavyweight would help as well, How could their not be enough talent to fill two divisions when you have the world as your talent pool? A division where Stipe, Cain and JDS type fighters competed against other similar body types would be marketable. Cutting to 230 wouldn't always be an advantage, cutting to 230 wouldn't help Bigfoot against Cain, weight has a point of diminishing returns. Fighters should fight opponents that weigh the same, easy as that.

removing the cap at Heavyweight would help as well, How could their not be enough talent to fill two divisions when you have the world as your talent pool? A division where Stipe, Cain and JDS type fighters competed against other similar body types would be marketable. Cutting to 230 wouldn't always be an advantage, cutting to 230 wouldn't help Bigfoot against Cain, weight has a point of diminishing returns. Fighters should fight opponents that weigh the same, easy as that.

How can you ask how can there not be enough talent????? There just isn't take a look at the divisions currently. What's gonna happen to make it better? Your idea is not new or novel I've seen it floated on here for as long as I've been posting. Its a bad idea it'll never work or happen so it's essentially a pointless convo.

Too diluted, if there were enough quality fighters I'd change it to:

HW: 220-285
CW: 200-219
LHW: 183-199
MW: 170-182

Watching Ngannou and Bojan highlighted this huge issue in the UFC for me. I don't know who signed off on the idea that weight stops playing a factor once you go over 205 pounds, but it makes no sense and should be corrected ASAP. I wrote a short opinion piece on this subject on my MMA blog where I go a little more in depth on the matter, please check it out if you have a sec and any feedback would be appreciated.

http://punch-face.com/2016/07/26/call-for-cruiserweights
206-220 would be better

Stop spamming your website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back