Rumored UFC Considering Atomweight Division

When should the UFC introduce an Atomweight division?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jinh-Yu-Frey-Muscle-2.jpg

Invicta FC atomweight champion Jinh Yu Frey and top contender Ashley Cummins hope the UFC introduces the women’s 105-lb division into the world’s top MMA promotion. Frey and Cummins meet this Friday night at Invicta FC 39 for the promotion’s atomweight belt. Speaking to MMAjunkie.com before the fight, the champion Frey said she has heard rumors the UFC is considering adding the women’s 105-lb division, and she would be in favor of that in fact happening.

Jinh-Yu-Frey-Boxing-Practice-2.jpg

“I’ve heard a lot of rumors that say maybe the UFC is starting to look into the atomweight division. I’m going to be 35 this year and I’m hanging in there as long as I can. We’ll see. I’m not basing my hopes at the start they’ll start a division. I’m just taking it one fight at a time,” Frey said.

Jinh-Yu-Frey-Muscle.jpg

Her opponent Cummins agrees with Frey that the UFC should bring in the women’s 105-lbs division.

“Every day I say a little prayer the UFC is finally going to start the atomweight division. That’s been the goal, to be a UFC fighter. I want to be a world champ and I want to be a UFC fighter. Hopefully, 2020 will be the year (the UFC) finally starts the atomweight division,” Cummins said, agreeing with Frey.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/jin...wants-ufc-to-bring-in-womens-105lbs-division/

Last edited:
The Women's talent pool has already been stretched thin. We have a gap from 155 to 170, 170 to 185, and 185 to 205 for Men's but we are going to have 105-115-125-135-145 for Women's?

Pass

Yes, finally. Now get rid of 145.

Karate Hottie would’ve excelled there, unfortunately a few years too late.

I would prefer a 165 and 195 division over this.

@CPH hit it on the head.

I’ll take 105 over 145.

145 was created for cyborg.
Nunes is a professional so she can make 135.
Cyborg is a joke. “I’ll die if I make 135”
Hey man. Stop lifting weights all the time then.

105 >>> 145

I think they should just sign entire ACA & Rizin rosters for more top fighters. I really don't watch Invicta but 105 is still better than that garbage of 145.

Jin, hamasaki, esparza, karate hottie, lots of good talent. They need 3-4 new divisions to be honest. 105, 165, 175, 195, 225

If you build it they will come

Karate Hottie would’ve excelled there, unfortunately a few years too late.

But there are other girls that can thrive there. They are easy to spot among the true 115lbers.

grumpycatno.png

The UFC has 1 functional women's division out of 3 (I don't recognize FW as a division).
Get 125 and 135 sorted out first, then they can think about 105 if there's enough fighters & demand around to make it a thing.

Finally. Can't wait to see the superior p4p skill of the smaller fighters.

I don't believe it for starters. but I really hope it's not a possibility. yuck.

grumpycatno.png

The UFC has 1 functional women's division out of 3 (I don't recognize FW as a division).
Get 125 and 135 sorted out first, then they can think about 105 if there's enough fighters & demand around to make it a thing.

Haha

They can do whatver the fuck they like, it'll simply be another fight on the prelims to fast-forward through and never think about again. I only know about 5-6 WMMA fighers exist to be perfectly honest, I honestly live in complete ignorance that WMMA is a thing apart from a handful of fighters I dont mind watching.

Back