UFC Champs=Best TDD

kpxl1023

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was just thinking about it and the best fighters in the world rarely get put on their backs, if ever. To remain a UFC champ I think you have to have stellar TDD

The fact is that the UFC champions are the most well rounded fighters in each div

Also not getting punched in the face a lot seems to be a decisive factor...

ps Silva was spent rounds and rounds on his back... and won.

Aldo has the most proven followed by GSP and then JDS. Bones appears to have good tdd, but he's only had like 2 attempts on him.

Cruz and MM are obviously good, but I haven't seen enough of them.

Part of Anderson's strategy seems to be fighting off his back at times and he looks comfortable there, but his tdd is the weakest of the champs. Butbhe looked way way better in Sonnen 2.

I remember in the commentary goldie claimed Anderson had either the second or third best takedown defense in middleweight history,and when he is on his back he looks comfortable there so i agree the champions are generally the guy who can dictate were they want the fight .

lol isn't GSP like second or third for all time highest TDD in the UFC period?

Course no one's even come close to Jones.

I agree with this statement all the champs have incredible tdd except silva. His tdd is good but nothing special IMO. It's certainly improved but he was taken down immediately by sonnen and managed to defend one lazy shot a mile away by cheal in the second round.

In one fight, hardly a good sample size.

It's not just one fight he was on his back in the Hendo fight, and the Travis Lutter fight as well. Silva can be taken down but is very comfortable there and onbiously good off his back. I he fights Weidman I'm sure he will spend time on his back again but he will also find a way to win like he always does.

Bendo's TDD isn't amazing. It is good but not amazing. Silva is in a similar boat. MM's was a bit of a problem at BW and against McCall in the first fight but it looks like he corrected that as he outwrestler Benavidez in his last fight.

Anderson doesn't have good tdd? Whaaat? He got surprised in one fight and it was Sonnen who is great at takedowns. That's like saying Chuck has bad tdd cause Randy took him down. Other than those fights the two are beast at tdd.
Gsp never stays down for long if he does get taken down, Condit reversed him and gsp waited for the pass to hop up again.

Aldo has the most proven followed by GSP and then JDS. Bones appears to have good tdd, but he's only had like 2 attempts on him.

Cruz and MM are obviously good, but I haven't seen enough of them.

Part of Anderson's strategy seems to be fighting off his back at times and he looks comfortable there, but his tdd is the weakest of the champs. Butbhe looked way way better in Sonnen 2.

Primarily because of the 3 minute short grab

as a general rule, the champs are usuallly the most well rounded

Back