UFC Champion: "I'm rooting for Aldo"

That fight was talked about endlessly for a damn year before it happened. A lot of Sherdoggers thought Weidman was a bad matchup for Silva, that poll notwithstanding.

I thought he was an awful match-up for Silva. My point is that 70+ percent of people will always pick the [Long-time] champion on Sherdog more often than not.

Then when said champion is dethroned the next guy becomes invincible until he loses.

I.E: Chris Weidman is now invincible. Jon Jones was invincible [Until Gustafsson] - The next one will likely be Conor if he beats Aldo.

Conor makes these alpha male member look so beta its not even funny. TJ is jealous because he will never be anywhere close to Conor in terms of skill.

That's stupid, TJ's accomplished more than anything Conor has so far or will ever tbh. I don't see him beating Aldo after that Siver performance.

That's stupid, TJ's accomplished more than anything Conor has so far or will ever tbh. I don't see him beating Aldo after that Siver performance.

Has TJ ever had the blackout treatment? has he sold any stadium on his own name ? do people fly across the country to watch dildoshaw? I dont think so.

And your not impressed with Connor's performance against Denis, thats laughable considering TJ was having a tough time defending against Joe Soto.

Whenever one talks to employees about another employee that is paid double what they are, statements like this are heard "Yeah, they are really nice/good BUT (here is the hey word ('but'), the word that they believe lends credibility to the bashing about to come) they just suck".

Ever since we go thru grade school, we subconsciously or consciously dislike those that score higher grades, are better at the subjects we fancy or are just flat out teachers pets. Conor is the teachers pet and also school yard bully. Not only is Conor the most transcendental and influential figure in MMA (go walk around Dublin if you feel differently, you won't see hords of people in Rio de Janeiro dressing as the Spider), he is the most talked about, the most loved and also the most hated, the closest with Dana and Lorenzo, the highest promoted and the hardest hyped. Conor exposes the envious and insecure, he is the antithesis of people who say "don't climb mountains, for it is dangerous", he says and does what we wish we could but are too afraid for societal repercussions. He is proof that is you believe in yourself and absolutely dedicate yourself 100% to your passion, you can do it.

For all these reasons paired with his obvious talent, it does not jive well with the quiet but abundant society norm of 'just keep your nose clean, don't make a lot of work and don't make any offensive noise'. Win or lose against Aldo, Conor is here to stay and will retire the most successful athlete to ever compete in MMA.

For your emotional well being, if you are a Conor hater, you may want to dedicate your emotions to something else because he will keep on proving you wrong and you will be left with nothing but ash in your mouth. Nietzsche would characterize someone like him as an 'overman' - he will not fail in the long run and it is better to take note and draw from this once in a generation type athlete than to totally and completely reject him.
I think you are reading way too much into things. I have not seen another fighter say anything negative about his talent. They just find him annoying and unprofessional. Fighters are mostly old-school and they train in places that are old-school from guys that are definitely old-school. It really isn't surprising a more WWE approach would rub a lot of fighters the wrong way.

I am sure part of it is also seeing that kind of thing get rewarded for some guys and I get why it would bother a fighter when their fights aren't enough and now suddenly they have to be a comedian and actor and entertainer and all sorts of other things. But even if that factor was removed there would always be a decent percentage of fighters that would push back against this new kind of self-promoting and carrying of one's self. Some people don't have any issue with it. Some people find it annoying. I think to make it any more than that is over-complicating a pretty simple situation. JMO

Last edited:
Jesus, if TJ thought Dodson hit hard...

Conor's good for the sport. But not every fighter has the personality to do what Conor does so well, and so most fighters probably shouldn't even try it. Conor's a natural. You can't teach that stuff.

TJ ought to pray everyday that some young up-and-comer in his division can pull off a similar routine with similar results, because it would really focus attention on TJ's division his division and ultimately - if TJ can keep the belt - on TJ himself.

Since BJ Penn left the sport, the lighter divisions (155 and lower) have really been starved for some fighter to come along and draw attention to them. Conor's that kind of guy.

Jesus, if TJ thought Dodson hit hard...

1.gif

Lol I dont think he still knows what quite happened that night.

I thought he was an awful match-up for Silva. My point is that 70+ percent of people will always pick the [Long-time] champion on Sherdog more often than not.

Then when said champion is dethroned the next guy becomes invincible until he loses.

I.E: Chris Weidman is now invincible. Jon Jones was invincible [Until Gustafsson] - The next one will likely be Conor if he beats Aldo.

While i do hate the mentality of people putting way too much emphasis on someone's last fight where they are a star or a can based on it, it is hard not to feel that way about champs. Most of them anyway. To get there most beat the best of the best in their division and until someone proves otherwise, they kinda earned the respect that says they are the best. There are some exceptions or flukes like Serra but look at the talent level of Jones, Weidman, Aldo, etc. It is really high. And it would take someone even better to beat them which naturally is going to give that person the aura of invincibility.

There are some divisions like Welterweight where i could see the title changing hands a lot. But some champs deserve to be thought of that way IMO. Even though realistically most champs will get knocked off at some point but if it isn't during their prime then people weren't really wrong about them either. I get what you are saying but just saying in some cases I don't think it is simply blind following of anyone with the strap. Some of these guys are just that good. Many of the champs now are potential p4p guys.

He's kind of a clown, but I actually liked it. Not really because I wanted to see Conor acting like a spaz, but because it actually made Aldo laugh. And Aldo's laugh wasn't the nervous type of laughing, it seemed like he actually thought Conor's antics were funny.

I started laughing when I saw Aldo do it. I've never been a big Aldo fan really (I don't dislike him, and I realize how great he is, I've always just had other guys I'd root for at FW over him) but that response actually made me a fan of his. It was perfect. And seemed genuine in the face of a guy who was mugging and spazzing for nothing but effect.

I kind of hope we see more interactions like that. I wonder what Conor would think if Aldo just laughs at him nonstop every time they have to interact leading up to the fight?

I laughed as well because it was dumb. Its worse because hes a proffesional fighter. Thats some fake tough guy shit you see in a bar. Idk its just funny cause Conner thought it was bad ass.

thats laughable considering TJ was having a tough time defending against Joe Soto.

Yes, he had a tough time with a guy that he won every round against and ended up finishing.

Not to mention TJ fought Soto on what? Two days' notice?

He had been game planning the entire time for a fighter with a completely different style (Barao).

Pretty fucking impressive if you ask me.

You make a great point. The funny thing about Conor is I think he has a better chance against Aldo than he does against Edgar. So even if he wins, I do not think he would automatically jump into the unbeatable category.

If he wins, be prepared to see dozens of thread about how the champ is untested.

Yes, he had a tough time with a guy that he won every round against and ended up finishing.

He had been game planning the entire time for a fighter with a completely different style (Barao).

I agree

Soto was a Bellator champ and is a very solid fighter too. He may not be widely known in UFC circles and people may have just assumed things about him because he was originally scheduled on the prelims but Soto is legit. Not an easy guy to fight with almost no notice or time to really study film and develop a game-plan for a different style of fighter let alone have time to practice it.

I agree

Soto was a Bellator champ and is a very solid fighter too. He may not be widely known in UFC circles and people may have just assumed things about him because he was originally scheduled on the prelims but Soto is legit. Not an easy guy to fight with almost no notice or time to really study film and develop a game-plan for a different style of fighter let alone have time to practice it.

I was impressed with how effective his jabs were.

everybody forgets co.nor is irish. i guess nobody understands what that means. the people are fighting not trying to make peace treaties. connor is having fun, making money, and being irish. nothing more to it then that. nobody else seems to be having fun. they all seem to be too serious and get all butthurt at connor cause he not only wins but finishes people and everybody likes him including the bosses.

You make a great point. The funny thing about Conor is I think he has a better chance against Aldo than he does against Edgar. So even if he wins, I do not think he would automatically jump into the unbeatable category.

If he wins, be prepared to see dozens of thread about how the champ is untested.

Beating Aldo would be one amazing accomplishment

But that division has some super-talented guys at the top where each one has a different style. Edgar is a style unto himself and Mendes is really becoming an all-around great threat. Normally beating a guy like Aldo would put someone in the stratosphere as far as feeling they are invincible but I agree there are other matchups he could still lose even with beating Aldo.

This is why I like people to work their way up the old fashioned way. Had he knocked off a Mendes or a Frankie before Aldo and THEN took out Aldo? There would be nothing anybody could say. But even beating a p4p amazing striker doesn't guarantee he can beat a really elite wrestler or a really elite guy with such a difficult style like Frankie. Beating Aldo would solidify Conor is one of the best in the world but he still could be beat by other guys due to styles. It is definitely kind of a unique situation just because he skipped a step or two on the way to the title fight.

I was impressed with how effective his jabs were.

Yeah, me too. I actually thought that is how he was able to last almost 5 rounds. A great jab can really disrupt someone's offense. It took TJ a while to solve it.

That's because 99% of people in general are simply dumb, and Sherdog is probably below the median.

Anything to disparage a fighter's accomplishments, that's why Siver is now a can, rather than a top level gatekeeper that was a good enough for for a TS for other guys.

hi-res-414289477f54d7c1a70c17ad20fdc3cb_crop_north.jpg

Looking like this against a fighter who showed up last minute for a fight, while Conor leaving with no scratches lol you sound pretty stupid right now almost as much as your forum name.

Back