UFC Champion bounty

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by sorrynottoday, May 21, 2014.

1. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

First, I understand that UFC does so-called backroom bonsues as well as performance based bonuses now instead of the "of the night" bonuses. But, to make things more tantalizing for the fighters going after titles... why not put out finishing bounties on the champions.

Push the title challengers to go for finishes, whether submission, tko or ko's. Have it very straight forward. As a champions reign increases, the bounty becomes larger. Jones is 7/8 wins in a row as champion so his would be higher.

This pushes challengers to do more than accomplish their dream of fighting for a championship, but to strive to make serious money doing the impossible (or what in that title reign seems impossible).

Could start as low as $25,000 for a ko/tko/submission.

$25,000 (1 defense)
    $50,000 (2 defenses)
    $75,000 (3 defenses)
    $100,000 (4 defenses)

I think most title reigns after 4 defenses become more interesting, and a champion really starts to show himself as unstoppable.

$150,000 (5 defenses)
    $200,000 (6 defenses)
    $250,000 (7 defenses)
    $300,000 (8 defenses)

At this point in any champions reign ala GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones... the champion almost becomes seen by most fans as impossible to beat, so its time to up the ante.

$500,000 (9 defenses)
    $1,000,000 (10 defenses)

At this stage, the champion is clearly facing his best competition. This is any challengers added incentive ontop of show/win money, sponsors, endorsements, etc.

Thoughts?

I am a fan of the sport. I am not an expert. I am not sure what the longest title defense streak is... but its just a random thought. Because some fighters seem content in just CHALLENGING for any said title, but not pushing themselves outright to go for it. This only benefits challengers and not champions, it is my implicit opinion that champions in any sport should most likely be making more money than any listed here. Especially after defending a title multiple times.

Excuse my ignorance in any part of the above post. Enjoy.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

This thread derives from a marketability thread that was posted yesterday. This could be a selling point for both champions and challengers. Especially challengers that aren't very marketable.

3. cooks6161

cooks6161 Orange Belt

I like it.

4. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

It would have to be meticulously named and promoted with care. At a time where physical/violent sports and combat sports have never been under a larger microscope with casual fans, doctors and politicians, putting a bounty (which has a stigma already) that's meant to promote a violent finish probably would be derided.

5. BADBOYKILLA

BADBOYKILLA Blue Belt

dog the bounty hunter vs jon jones :icon_chee

6. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

Valid points. But the sport itself promotes fighters based on their performances anyway. Nobody makes a lot of money by being a decision king. Unless you were a dominate champion (ala GSP) that learns to play the game.

7. Benoitthegr8

Benoitthegr8 Bum Life Practitioner Platinum Member

I hear Jackson's submission fighting has bounty on opponenets knees, eyes, and back of head area. Greg is a N.O. Saints fan I hear...

8. Hanoi Rox

Hanoi Rox Black Belt

Well put. Although I think bonuses should be given out for finishes instead of wins, bounties have such a stigma to them it would be a really bad idea for a sport that is still transitioning to the mainstream.

9. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

What about that MMA apparel company putting a $5,000 bounty on Ronda's head for the first person to beat her?

10. Hawkman3111

Hawkman3111 Yellow Belt

I think this is a silly idea, throwing more money on the guys in the main event.

Yes I know the UFC fighters are grossly underpaid, but the guys in the title fight are already motivated enough and this would likely take away bonus money for the rest of the card, the guys who arent already millionaires.

11. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

So disregard the terminology I used in regard to "bounties", because I agree in how its presented will directly resemble how its widely accepted and view. It's a cumulative challenger bonus (CCB).

Champions could also have a something similar in the works for them. A cumulative defense bonuses (CDB). Their CBD increases based on finishes, but also resets based on decisions.

12. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

Do you really think all fighters should get paid $500,000 per fight? I agree that the lower-tier fighters that are being signed to UFC are underpaid, but what's underpaid in a capitalist society? Capitalize on the opportunity given to you, regardless of pay, and have the ability to dictate your pay.

What do you think the starting salary of a fighter should be? Should every fighter be guaranteed 100,000$/year salary based on 3 guaranteed fights per year. So $33,000/$33,000 (opportunity to make $200,000 with 3 wins within a year)?

13. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

Is this a real situation? What company?

14. Dutchman101

Dutchman101 Purple Belt

Like!

15. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

16. ggtopdog

ggtopdog Purple Belt

Ts never graduated high school. Complete idiot

17. Byron Carter

Byron Carter Purveyor of Wisdom Banned

Do you think professional fighters need more motivation to try and win the world title?

18. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

19. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

I did graduate high school. In starting this topic, how does it show that I wouldn't have graduated high school?

20. sorrynottoday

sorrynottoday White Belt

If Gus knew he could make 300,000$ if he knocked out Jones in that fifth round do you think he would've pushed through. Do you think some of the results of the fights would be a little different.

Yes. I think some fighters do need more motivation to win in spectacular fashion. This kind of money is life changing. Especially on top of salaries, other bonuses, and any other endorsements.

At the end of the day, its just an idea worth exploring.