UFC Blaydes vs. Volkov PBP/Discussion

Bit disappointing from Blaydes -- so powerful, quick, athletic and dominant yet zero killer instinct this fight. Needlessly let Volkov hang around in the fight.

Everyone took Blades inside the distance and he got the call from the bookies. Didn't even tried finishing Volkov in the fight. Gosh bookies always win.

I know. If only he'd shown the same aggression he did in the Willis fight. Totally out of character from him.

I know. If only he'd shown the same aggression he did in the Willis fight. Totally out of character from him.

I kinda expected but still fell for this trap. Oh well I don't remember last time i had profitable UFC night...

hindsight is always 20/20 but i shouldve SMASHED blaydes/volkov over 2.5 +110
Yeah... feel a little silly sweating so much for o1.5 in hindsight. The jds fight was still fresh in my mind where i barely lost the over. I usually play heavyweight decision lines at massive + odds but didn't for once, a shame. Oh well amazing day for me including livebets +15u~

Yeah... feel a little silly sweating so much for o1.5 in hindsight. The jds fight was still fresh in my mind where i barely lost the over. I usually play heavyweight decision lines at massive + odds but didn't for once, a shame. Oh well amazing day for me including livebets +15u~
good day for me also... had 75 or torres, 15 guida, 10 miller, 275 on emmett, 150 volkov... so still up about 350 or so.. started to feel semi confident on volkov at the end of round 4, that wouldve made it a really good night

oh also forgot to mention 25 on over 2.5.... which i shouldve bet much more on

Bit disappointing from Blaydes -- so powerful, quick, athletic and dominant yet zero killer instinct this fight. Needlessly let Volkov hang around in the fight.
This was his first 5-rounder. It's really risky to try for the finish on that tough of an opponent as Volkov, in combination with the fight being 5 rounds. You would have much better grounds for criticising him if the fight was just 3 rounds.

And Blaydes' style is not geared towards the finish anyways.
When he finish people it's almost by accident. His game is heavily attrition based.

P.S. Putting heavyweight fights in main events - when it's not for the title - is kinda dumb. This guys are sloppy and don't have the cardio for 3 rounds, let alone 5. You don't wanna watch two big fellas lean on each other for 5 rounds. At least I'm not into this shit.

Last edited:
I can't wrap my head around the fact that some of you scored that fight for Burgos.

250px-Adalaide.jpg

This was his first 5-rounder. It's really risky to try for the finish on that tough of an opponent as Volkov, in combination with the fight being 5 rounds. You would have much better grounds for criticising him if the fight was just 3 rounds.

And Blaydes' style is not geared towards the finish anyways.
When he finish people it's almost by accident. His game is heavily attrition based.

P.S. Putting heavyweight fights in main events - when it's not for the title - is kinda dumb. This guys are sloppy and don't have the cardio for 3 rounds, let alone 5. You don't wanna watch two big fellas lean on each other for 5 rounds. At least I'm not into this shit.

Fair points all around. Good insight.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that some of you scored that fight for Burgos.

250px-Adalaide.jpg

I mean, it's not that absurd.

Rounds 1 & 2: Emmett landed bigger shots, but Burgos was pressuring the entire time and landed more. It's totally conceivable to believe judges would view constant pressure + more activity + more accuracy as being sufficiently in Burgos' favour to have given him both rounds.

Obviously that wasn't the case, and broad sentiment was that Emmett took rd 1, but I didn't see it as clear cut.

Back