UFC bias against signing Russian fighters?

I have to say, a lot of this stuff seems like a load of hot air intended to mask the awkward juxtaposition between how Russians are portrayed in the media vs how they actually are in real life.
We don't really know because they are competing in an American organization that discriminates against them. Japan has a similar policy in Sumo to avoid Mongolian domination.

That's because they dont always sign on the best Russian fighters.
Meh, and who are these "best russian fighters" that you talk about? Come on. Name them. Patricio Freire is the best brazilian FW and is not on UFC, Douglas Lima is the best brazilian WW and is not on the UFC, Bibiano Fernandez is the champion of ONE at 135. More brazilians have won PFL tournaments than russians.

There are also tons of brazilians with great records that haven't been proven yet, so naming random russians with nice records means nothing either until they actually beat someone on the top organizations.

Brazilians actually rank more than Russian not just in UFC but in Bellator, ONE and even PFL. Maybe the world is not against you, "ackmed". Maybe it's that Russia is just #3 in MMA and most of their fighters are just... more hype than talent.

Russians tend to not speak good English or not speak it at all and yeah for worldwide marketing you don't want divisions to have too much of one ethnicity.

Yeah, but I don't think they get the exciting ones usually. I have no idea what their recruitment strategy is in general. They seem to hire a disproportionately large volume of boring fighters.

Here's Rustam Kerimov's last fight, I don't think he's boring at all and 100% should be in the UFC.

I suspect two huge factors are testing and visas. Our countries are not friends, regardless of what the liberal media says, and many of these -ovs have naughty connections.

They have 36 Russian fighters and 101 Brazilian ones, I'm not sure the average quality of Russian fighter is lower than the average brazilian fighter these days.

The average Russian makes more then the average Brazilian. And its easier for the Brazilians to fight in the USA less tollon their body. Russians and Japanese fighter get dicked that way.

Meh, and who are these "best russian fighters" that you talk about? Come on. Name them. Patricio Freire is the best brazilian FW and is not on UFC, Douglas Lima is the best brazilian WW and is not on the UFC, Bibiano Fernandez is the champion of ONE at 135. More brazilians have won PFL tournaments than russians.

There are also tons of brazilians with great records that haven't been proven yet, so naming random russians with nice records means nothing either until they actually beat someone on the top organizations.

Brazilians actually rank more than Russian not just in UFC but in Bellator, ONE and even PFL. Maybe the world is not against you, "ackmed". Maybe it's that Russia is just #3 in MMA and most of their fighters are just... more hype than talent.

Rustam Kerimov, Albert Tumenov, Magomed Magomedov, Ali Bagov, Abdul-Aziz Abdulvakhabov, Eduard Vartanyan are a few of them imo.

Rustam Kerimov, Albert Tumenov, Magomed Magomedov, Ali Bagov, Abdul-Aziz Abdulvakhabov, Eduard Vartanyan are a few of them imo.
Which was kind of my point:

Tumenov failed in the UFC and the rest are unproven ACA fighters that have only fought other russian guys.

Unless they fight outside of ACA, there is no way to know if they are better than the russians that were signed by UFC, Bellator, ONE and PFL and failed to be contenders. Which is what he claimed.

Because Dana isn't making ruples off of the Russian public

It's not that random. It is, after all, an American promotion. How many Americans are on the ACA or M-1 rosters?

I know, it makes sense. Hometown pipeline.

Which was kind of my point:
Tumenov failed in the UFC and the rest are unproven ACA fighters that have only fought other russian guys.

Unless they fight outside of ACA, there is no way to know if they are better than the russians that were signed by UFC, Bellator, ONE and PFL and failed to be contenders. Which is what he claimed.

Harsh to say Tumenov failed imo, his last two losses were against Gunni and Edwards and he's gotten better since then. Plus he did beat Larkin.

Just been reading a few interesting Russian articles on this. You'll have to translate the pages obviously.

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...ufc-ne-podpisyvayut-boycov-iz-rossii-1636615/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...zhet-pereyti-v-ufc-intervyu-s-boycom-1637147/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...lbert-tumenov-s-kem-sleduyuschiy-boy-1635901/

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...lbert-tumenov-s-kem-sleduyuschiy-boy-1635901/

Basically says that the UFC has a limit on how many Russian fighters it will have on the roster at one time and they're at that limit now and it's basically a one in/one out policy at the moment.

- Shlemenko might be an exception as he's already known in the US.

- Albert Tumenov, Rustam Kerimov, Magomed Magomedov, Albert Duraev, Zhalgas Zhumaglov, Alexander Shabliy, Timur Valiev and Aliaskhab Khibriev are all actively trying to get into the UFC at the moment, but the UFC might not be able to sign them all.

- There's no testing in ACA, so some fighters aren't trying to come over.

- UFC doesn't want 4-5 ranked fighters in one division to be Russian, for business reasons.
Manager of Zhumagulov announced that UFC signed him. Source in Russian https://www.sports.ru/boxing/1083508831.html

Then why aren't all of them in Bellator? Could it be that they perhaps aren't as skilled as some may think? Anyone who becomes elite will 99/100 times tried to be signed to the UFC. If you are on UFC gatekeeper level, then it's more about getting lucky as we can't have a roster with thousands of people that would technically beat the worst UFC fighter right now.

Need more Ivan Drago style fighters and less hug n tugs
tenor.gif

"The Russian-Chinese investment fund, Mubadala Investment Company, and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) have jointly announced the foundation of UFC Russia. The new company will promote MMA and organize new shows in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). M-1 Global is going to be a partner, responsible for scouting and signing Russian athletes to prepare them to fight in the UFC. M-1 Challenge champions will have a unique opportunity to sign contracts with the UFC."

Totally shocked that the recruitment of fighters in russia isn't %100 fair and transparent.

Those are not the best fighters. I've been to PFL events and seen the difference: it isnt just quality, but finishing ability. These Dagi fighters are a one dimensional bore.

I think if there were more Slavic sluggers and brawlers, the UFC would be in. But Dagi wrestlers, some of whom cant get a visa ala Abdulmanap? No thanks.
I think if they were all Petr Yan's theyd get signed.

The entire concept here is flawed.
The UFC is a business, they'll sign anyone who can make them money.
There is absolutely no chance that there is a quota on the number of fighters from a particular country.

this - plus the ufc just signed Zhumaglov

I think if they were all Petr Yan's theyd get signed.

shabliy and eduard vartanyan should of been signed long time ago - rest are blah

both guys are also young and quite marketable(not dagestanis)

"The Russian-Chinese investment fund, Mubadala Investment Company, and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) have jointly announced the foundation of UFC Russia. The new company will promote MMA and organize new shows in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). M-1 Global is going to be a partner, responsible for scouting and signing Russian athletes to prepare them to fight in the UFC. M-1 Challenge champions will have a unique opportunity to sign contracts with the UFC."

Totally shocked that the recruitment of fighters in russia isn't %100 fair and transparent.
I don't think you can blame M-1 for that. Like, last guy that went from them to UFC is Bogatov - 9-0 LW (actually in one article posted in this thread one manager says that as far as he knows Bogatov is not signed by UFC), you think it was a bad decision? Last signed Russian is Khabib's cousin Umar, never fought in M-1. About him I've seen opinion that it's questionable choice while UFC was able to sign such free agents as Magomedov, Valiev, Kerimov.

Let's look at this objectively

Russia is by far the most dominant country in wrestling and weightlifting history, and has been a powerhouse in boxing

it's pretty obvious that Russians are the toughest SOBs in the world and it's only a matter of time until they dominate the UFC

Back