UFC Apex cage

Serge421

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I dont understand why the UFC uses the smaller Apex cage. I know it's the one they use for the Contender Series, but why dont they just build the normal sized cage in its place? Really want to know, because some pretty big fights are going to be happening in the Apex soon (DC vs Miocic).

there are 3 different cage sizes
1 ppv cage which is the biggest
2 Fight Night cage
3 and the smallest is the Apex cage

I dont understand why the UFC uses the smaller Apex cage. I know it's the one they use for the Contender Series, but why dont they just build the normal sized cage in its place? Really want to know, because some pretty big fights are going to be happening in the Apex soon (DC vs Miocic).

Obviously when they built the facility they never expected "pretty big fights" would ever be held there. Big fights got held in big arenas where you could get maximum crowd revenue, and where anything but the large cage would look pathetically rinky-dink. So the way I heard it, at the Apex they installed a rigid system for the lighting and electric and what not that was suited only for the small cage, assuming they'd never need it for anything beyond Contender fights and suchlike intimate events.

Stipe bitched about the small cage but his effort obviously got him nowhere. I'm not sure why they don't just swap it out for the bigger one in this environment. It's not like there isn't enough room. Fook a small cage.

Now if DC wins there's a caveat. I guess that's good since DC plans on abandoning the belt if he wins. Then it won't seem so illigitimate for Stipe to win it back.

Stipe bitched about the small cage but his effort obviously got him nowhere. I'm not sure why they don't just swap it out for the bigger one in this environment. It's not like there isn't enough room. Fook a small cage.

Now if DC wins there's a caveat. I guess that's good since DC plans on abandoning the belt if he wins. Then it won't seem so illigitimate for Stipe to win it back.
So if the big cage benefits Stipe, that means DC beat him when the chips were in his favor, can't he do the same? or is Stipe only the better fighter under certain conditions?

This cage is going to get Costa the belt...Izzy can't run;)

So if the big cage benefits Stipe, that means DC beat him when the chips were in his favor, can't he do the same? or is Stipe only the better fighter under certain conditions?

I made a simple statement that everyone understands. Including you. Your retort sound aggressive & loaded.

So if the big cage benefits Stipe,

There is no "IF"... the smaller cage benefits the grappler always. This is known & not up for debate. You already know this though.

Obviously Stipe is a wrestler too, but not likely on DC's level... so the smaller cage plays to DC's biggest strength & gives him that advantage.

that means DC beat him when the chips were in his favor

If you're only speaking of Octogon size, then yes, they did fight in the bigger octogon.

You're twisting things though because if we're mimicking a real fight as best we can... we have to recognize that the more space represents that better & so the bigger cage is the "normal" cage... & the smaller one is the supplement... that you use when you're pushed for space. When you close the confines in tighter, you're creating barriers that benefit the grappler.

first fight: Eye poke at 0:33 ...KO punch 3 seconds later.

By the 1:11 minute Mark had given DC 3 warnings for fingers out & at 1:11 DC got a really big eye poke (pictured) that was pretty blatant.
iu

He threw a jab & flicked the fingers out right into Stipe's eye. Then... as soon as they started fighting ref said "Close the hand Daniel!" The one at 0:33 was the 2nd eye poke of the fight... & is after feinting the whole last half of the fight with fingers aimed right at the eyes.

Stipe "“In the first fight that was not even a punch. That was a straight poke into the eye. I don’t know if that was gameplan or not but it was not fine.”

So I'd say that all the chips were not in Stipe's favor since he didn't have a strategy to cheat. It was very obvious DC did. This is a seasoned professional... not some young kid that didn't know better. DC knew exactly what he was doing & learned it from his buddy Bones. He was aiming his feints directly at Stipe's eyes. He even threw a jab with an open hand & caught Stipe in the eye with it. It's very obvious. I got a lot of love for DC, & it was put to the test by that... but he's going to lose my respect if he comes out like that this time.

or is Stipe only the better fighter under certain conditions?

You're just trying to be a smartass. The normal cage... is the big one. This is a win/win for Stipe. If he wins... then he answers your question... if he loses, he's got an excuse. That's all I was saying that for some reason made you want to call me out.

Last edited:
DC said he loves that cage for wrestling.

Will be interesting to see if that plays out or not in this upcoming title match.

He spent a lot of the 2nd fight backing up.. So the small cage won't help him there.. And wrestling yeah for 1 maybe 2 rounds. Can't see him do that for 5 with Stipe.. Blow out his gas tank..

I've heard that the whole set up at Apex was built around the smaller cage. The lighting rig as well as electrical access were designed for the smaller octagon. It may not be possible to swap in the larger octagon without major renovations. I say I've heard it, but I've never looked into it. Seems plausible.

I've heard that the whole set up at Apex was built around the smaller cage. The lighting rig as well as electrical access were designed for the smaller octagon. It may not be possible to swap in the larger octagon without major renovations. I say I've heard it, but I've never looked into it. Seems plausible.

Yeah, that makes sense.

That said, they roll into spacez all the time & put the whole setup together from scratch. It's costly, but it's the cost of doing business. So they could easily hang the bigger lights from the smaller ones or whatever... & they could make adjustments if they wanted to & obviously tear down the existing cage & put in a bigger one. It's not like it's impossible. They just need to do it once.. & then the Apex can quit fucking around during these lockdowns.

I understand them not wanting to do it... but in this day & age, I think it would be more valid to do so. I have never liked the fact that there are 2 different sized cagez. Maybe back in the day it had its uses. my first couple of live UFC was in like a high school sized basketball room with the pull out bleacherz... lol... you had to walk right by the octogon to take a piss ffs... so I can understand the smaller cage in a space like that, but now-a-days, I just don't understand why they won't do away with em.

Some people like the no crowd aspect of this.. But for me there is no atmosphere in big fights..

I miss the crowds..

Back