News UFC Antitrust Lawsuit: Joe Silva's testimony

PRIDE fixed fights by paying more for excitement, UFC would would never do anything so reprehensible!
/sarcasm
No one from the UFC was offering money to Jon Fitch to avoid going to the ground because standing and banging is more exciting, that's what EliteXC did with Seth Petruzelli when he stepped in on short notice against Kimbo Slice, and it's fucking illegal.

No one from the UFC was offering money to Jon Fitch to avoid going to the ground because standing and banging is more exciting, that's what EliteXC did with Seth Petruzelli when he stepped in on short notice against Kimbo Slice, and it's fucking illegal.

I'd argue that they are, just in a more roundabout way. Using the example of Machida, a fighter who's elusive style was geared more towards point fighting and resulted in "boring" decisions, they offer money specifically to him to finish fights. That could quite plausibly see a change in fighter style directly as a result of promotional influence.

Maybe if everyone was paid a finishing bonus and it was just a standard thing I'd be viewing it differently, but as it is I see it as a direct and brazen effort to influence a fighter on the part of the promoters.

Also worth pointing out, I don't actually have much of a problem with that specifically (I'm a big PRIDE fan, not a hypocrite), but I take issue with the secrets, lies and misdirection.

I'd argue that they are, just in a more roundabout way. Using the example of Machida, a fighter who's elusive style was geared more towards point fighting and resulted in "boring" decisions, they offer money specifically to him to finish fights. That could quite plausibly see a change in fighter style directly as a result of promotional influence.

Maybe if everyone was paid a finishing bonus and it was just a standard thing I'd be viewing it differently, but as it is I see it as a direct and brazen effort to influence a fighter on the part of the promoters.

Also worth pointing out, I don't actually have much of a problem with that specifically (I'm a big PRIDE fan, not a hypocrite), but I take issue with the secrets, lies and misdirection.
I have a lot to say about that but I couldn't word it in a way that doesn't sound exactly the same as what elitexc did, and I'm not about to start being disingenuous to win an argument, I concede 100%. Did Dana ever comment on this btw?

I have a lot to say about that but I couldn't word it in a way that doesn't sound exactly the same as what elitexc did, and I'm not about to start being disingenuous to win an argument, I concede 100%. Did Dana ever comment on this btw?

Totally understand and feel the same here - it's extremely difficult to put it all into words. And I appreciate your position to, wasn't at all trying to make an argument or say anyone is "wrong" and I am "right".

I haven't seen any comments from Dana and I wouldn't expect to see anything from him either.

I haven't been following super close, but that's because I'm no surprised by any of this, but also (And again impossible to properly articulate my feelings in a simple way) somehow not that bothered by the actual act.

Maybe I'm just more annoyed at the UFC-can-do-no-wrong types. I mean, of course they do / have done sketchy shit and I think it's sad when people believe otherwise.

Back