News UFC Antitrust Lawsuit: Joe Silva's testimony

That's not the criticism. It's that the undisclosed pay is used to keep salaries down. The UFC is the only one who wins with undisclosed pay.

A child understands this. Why do sherdoggers pretend to be so special they don't even have the reasoning capacity of a child? What's the end game of this charade?

I wasn't disputing this at all you fucking idiot. Yes, I agree with you - I understand the criticisms with undisclosed fighter pay and don't support it whatsoever. I think it's a shady business practice that only benefits the UFC's leverage in negotiations vs the fighters. I was criticizing all the morons on the board who thought some of the biggest stars in the world at the time were only getting 25k show and 25k win money because those were the only numbers being disclosed to the athletic commission because there would be a thread about it every time the numbers came out for the past decade.

Don't infer so much from a single comment you twat.

I thought I just did

Oh, see. Tricky there. "Name a sport 'like mma' where it's illegal." It hasn't been illegal in mma (especially the ufc) because the UFC has been a private company. The very fact that were are discussing this in a thread whose topic is a court case against the UFC and it's business practices should give you some pause, if you understand what I'm saying
So I’m a moron because you’re interpreting a class action suit that is still ongoing as implying the bonus may be ILLEGAL. And you didn’t provide anything else to support that position. After calling me a moron. Lol.

Few rules would help, i guess.
Bonuses are a great thing when you get one, especially when you are young, dont have many expenses etc...
That being said, it allows UFC to dodge salary raise and it helps them to control the sheeps with ease.
Be good and you ll have a bonus.
Be a pain and GTFO.
The raise remains, not the bonus and its a problem.
Probably not for the few ones with leverage but for the others, they just have to accept and shut the fuck up.
If we had few rules like minimum wage, the right to have sponsors, some necessary spendings paid by the UFC (hotel, food, plane tickets etc...), it would not hurt.

Would it be too weird if I rephrase what you said in the following way:

Fighters who are not afraid of fighting a fight get bonuses, while fighters who want to win by exploiting the time limit/scorecards don't.

I can't cope with a guy willing to fight for the UFC just as so as he doesn't suffer any sort of damage.
In fact we fired Elias Theodorou for that, just look at the long list of FOTN bonuses GSP never had.
It isnt only having to do with fighting style but also marketability and their relationship with the company.

Jon Fitch and UFC were in good standing,right up until he fought GSP.

There was that issue with the video game likeness rights,that was resolved...

From what I recall at this time Fitch was openly saying,that wins were all that matters,they have to give me a title shot,who cares if its boring etc.
His fights would always be booed at this time,and he never cared about that. His attitude was " I dont care about entertaining,only winning"
I remember when they interviewed him in brazil,after beating erick silva,in what was one of his few actual exciting fights he showed no gratitude,did not want to be in brazil,only cared abouit going home to his family. Its a bit hard to work with a guy like this. They didnt let him get the title shot against GSP that he was supposed to get by beating Alves.

BUT they gave it to shields who has a very similar style,probably because he was easier to work with,and had a better attitude.

So its not just about style. Chael Sonnen didnt have an exciting style,but he put the butts in the seats with his mouth. He was valuable in ways that Fitch outright refused to be.

That's not the criticism. It's that the undisclosed pay is used to keep salaries down. The UFC is the only one who wins with undisclosed pay.

A child understands this. Why do sherdoggers pretend to be so special they don't even have the reasoning capacity of a child? What's the end game of this charade?

This. Excellent post.

this has all been pretty known for a long time and it's never been a big issue, like you're suggesting it is. next thing you'll argue is that the ufc can't base pay on entertainment value and drawing power.

Hi, dana. How much in backroom couch bonus did you pay Arianny and her bestie Brittany?

It isnt only having to do with fighting style but also marketability and their relationship with the company.

From what I recall at this time Fitch was openly saying,that wins were all that matters,they have to give me a title shot,who cares if its boring etc.
His fights would always be booed at this time,and he never cared about that. His attitude was " I dont care about entertaining,only winning"
I remember when they interviewed him in brazil,after beating erick silva,in what was one of his few actual exciting fights he showed no gratitude,did not want to be in brazil,only cared abouit going home to his family. Its a bit hard to work with a guy like this. They didnt let him get the title shot against GSP that he was supposed to get by beating Alves.

BUT they gave it to shields who has a very similar style,probably because he was easier to work with,and had a better attitude.

So its not just about style. Chael Sonnen didnt have an exciting style,but he put the butts in the seats with his mouth. He was valuable in ways that Fitch outright refused to be.
P
The truth is in the middle.
I dont blame the UFC for having the desire to make money, having exciting fighters etc...
I would blame them to keep their paternalistic system.
Personally, i have 0 problem with the system in which you make more if you are winning, more if you win by finishing your opponent, more if there is more tickets sold etc...
But i have a problem if its not written in the contract you have signed and that it depends of the other partie to the contract.
Having a contract which said, you ll make 50k + 50k if you win + an extra 25k if you win by sub is not the same thant having a contract which said 50 + 50, maybe you ll get FOTN money and maybe some other bonuses if you are a good boy

No, they don't.

You seriously think Apple has two pay rolls? One disclosed and one undisclosed.

Messi did get undisclosed pay. Shoddy dealings like that obviously do exist.
There is a difference between undisclosed and under the table.

My salary and probably yours is undisclosed. I know what I'm being paid and so does my employer and the tax office. The public/media don't have access to that information. That is what they mean by fighter pay is undisclosed. In other sports all pay is disclosed; we know exactly how much the athlete is being paid.

It shouldn't be confused with paying someone cash and not reporting it to the tax office. That's tax fraud.

lol.

you're suggesting it's a crime to give a bonus ?
$10K Bonus for u because u did what we wanted you to do and gave us the desired outcome.

$3K Bonus because you threw away defense for a brawl.

No Bonus! Because you took your opponent down and spoiled our plans!!

nah they screwed over Fitch many times before that.

they originally hired him for the ultimate fighter season 1, which he would have won.

then they called him and told him he was cut from the show the day before he was supposed to get on the plane.

then they made him go on a huge win steak like Tony Ferguson before getting a shot.

Then they cut him over the video game.

they always treated him like dirt because his fighting style was boring.

$10K Bonus for u because u did what we wanted you to do and gave us the desired outcome.

$3K Bonus because you threw away defense for a brawl.

No Bonus! Because you took your opponent down and spoiled our plans!!
Yeah, not a crime. Thx.

First let me say that I only meant it as-is, never wanted to pass a message or something towards supporting or rejecting the marketability factor and the relationship one, still I can cope with marketability, just not the latter in a personal pov.

This Fitch story is really touching/convincing, but seems a bit the kind of story lawyers tell a judge, you know? I mean.. I have a fair impression that alongside it will be a lot of retaliation, kinda tacitly, just look at how Dana treated Cyborg..

FACT:

If you fought a certain entertaining but mindless way, which goes against the benefit of your long-term career and health, you were given back-room bonuses and job security- temporarily.

If you fought in certain ways that was deemed 'less entertaining' by Dana White, despite it being safe for you to ensure your win and win bonus, and betterment of your career- you were openly 'punished' by Dana White... especially so with Grapplers: Shields, Fitch, Okami... etc

It's just a matter of time before this whole shit show gets exposed. WAY too much fight manipulation for the longest time by Zuffa

PRIDE fixed fights by paying more for excitement, UFC would would never do anything so reprehensible!
/sarcasm

Northcutt is the most obvious example of "development money". There was no bidding war for that guy and yet he was being paid more than other fighters at his level. That money is for training with the best teams and finding the best suppliers so that the UFC can try to influence results. A lot of guys at his level still have day jobs. That extra money is a big advantage.

Last edited:
not a single person ever suggested $250k was typical for a random fighter. ever.
Dana has trying to big clit it like he gives out a ton of backroom bonsues that make up for the fighters low pay. Too bad Dana is a liar and the truth is finally coming out.

Dana has trying to big clit it like he gives out a ton of backroom bonsues that make up for the fighters low pay. Too bad Dana is a liar and the truth is finally coming out.
You see what you want to see.

I wonder if the tax man is watching this trial.

Back