News UFC Anti-Trust Lawsuit Expanded

Cool. I'm a lawyer. Note for ppl about settlement, in a class action settlements have to be publicly approved, so we are past the point of paying money for this to go away. Changes will come to the ufc it just remain to be seen if they are small and meaningless, or big.

Who is funding this lawsuit?? The UFC has an army of lawyers

The law firms that represent the plaintiffs are all in. The fund it because they see $$$ in a settlement.

Cool. I'm a lawyer. Note for ppl about settlement, in a class action settlements have to be publicly approved, so we are past the point of paying money for this to go away. Changes will come to the ufc it just remain to be seen if they are small and meaningless, or big.
What do you mean publicly approved?

It will be very interesting see what happens if the UFC tries to settle. Will the plaintiffs take the easy money and run or hope things work out for them. I know they say they won't but when someone offers you tens of millions it's a whole other ball game.

It will be very interesting see what happens if the UFC tries to settle. Will the plaintiffs take the easy money and run or hope things work out for them. I know they say they won't but when someone offers you tens of millions it's a whole other ball game.
this is the thing with class actions. the law firms and their own interests play such a big role. they don't make money off of future reforms. and they are the ones funding the effort. they are interested in their roi and their ability to sell their results for future class actions.

Dana is fucked and will probably lose his job

I think a lot of people think Dana was the evil wizard behind the current.

The truth is the Ferts. made every major decision with Zuffa and Dana's most important job was to take the heat/deflect in the public eye for everything. This was especially true when dealing with financials. I'd say at best Dana holds probably about 25% of the blame and the rest in on the Ferts. Personally, Dana did a hell of a job keeping the spotlight on him and off the Ferts.

Last edited:
What do you mean publicly approved?

It means the terms of the settlement have to be publicly posted, and the judge has to issue an opinion explaining why he thinks they are fair to the fighters (or he can reject them if he doesn't think so).

this is the thing with class actions. the law firms and their own interests play such a big role. they don't make money off of future reforms. and they are the ones funding the effort. they are interested in their roi and their ability to sell their results for future class actions.

There's Def some truth in this but see my post explaining the approval process.

When is @axe wound going to get a settlement for you not sufficiently condensing the information?
Whenever Sherdog launches its own cryptocurrency and I get ahold of some.
Does this mean if the UFC losses they will have to file for bankruptcy and basically stop existing?
Probably not, if it starts looking really bad, UFC would likely settle before it gets to that point. And those numbers are high estimates, those actually aren't what would be paid, it would be some negotiated amount that's lower but makes the plaintiffs happy. No point in getting a huge financial settlement if it can't be paid by the other party.
The UFC contracts are pretty similar to Bellator contracts. While I agree it would be massive and game changing if the fighters won, I can't see how they can get to anti-trust with Bellator contracts being so similar.
I suspect it would be a warning message to other promotions to get their contract situation sorted out or draw scrutiny from regulators. But more directly, if you're Bellator, you'd have to shorten your contracts, or else why would UFC fighters sign with you?
Who is funding this lawsuit?? The UFC has an army of lawyers
https://www.ufcclassaction.com/
Dana will probably get a huge pay day like Sakakibara did to guarantee he doesn’t work in this industry for certain amount of years.
Doubt it, if WME kicks Dana to the curb, and that's a big if, I don't see a lot of promotions wanting him at that point. And that was the point of paying of Sakakibara, it was a noncompete.

Yeah that would be my worry. Although I hope since it's fronted by a lot of fighters who never really made it big, that they are of the mind that they've gone too hard and lost too much to settle for anything minor. That's my hope.

It means the terms of the settlement have to be publicly posted, and the judge has to issue an opinion explaining why he thinks they are fair to the fighters (or he can reject them if he doesn't think so).
So the basic timeline of the case would be:
1. Class certification (we're almost there officially)
2. Zuffa appealing the class certification
3. Then the actual trial???

Hope they manage to punish the UFC and that it crosses over to other industries.

The tide is slowly changing and workers are getting fucking fed up. It'll take long and it's full of bootlickers out there (expecially in the big powers US and China) but there is hope.

ok thanks. wasn't sure what you meant.

i'm on the business side but have been involved in class actions and developing settlement offers to the opposing law firms.

So the basic timeline of the case would be:
1. Class certification (we're almost there officially)
2. Zuffa appealing the class certification
3. Then the actual trial???

Basically right. I haven't reviewed the case for a while but I believe the class has already been certified, it's just getting tweaked around the edges now. Most likely that won't change. There will be some additional opportunities for the ufc to kick the case out but those are pretty unlikely at this stage, and then yeah, trial. But very very very few certified class actions go to trial because the stakes are too high. So it'll ultimately settle. The settlement will include money (some amount for the fighters, lawyers will prob take 25%) and injunctive relief (optimistic: agree to comply with Ali act, pessimistic: slightly shorter contracts and minor skin deep changes).

I haven't reviewed the case for a while but I believe the class has already been certified, it's just getting tweaked around the edges now.
Judge said he was going to certify but he never formally did. Or he hasn't yet. Which was the big hold up this year. And I suppose the other issue would be if he accepts the new lawsuit and expands the class now. I imagine the latter is pretty likely just given the lawsuit has been dragging on for so long and the statute of limitations for antitrust violations?

Whenever Sherdog launches its own cryptocurrency and I get ahold of some.

Probably not, if it starts looking really bad, UFC would likely settle before it gets to that point. And those numbers are high estimates, those actually aren't what would be paid, it would be some negotiated amount that's lower but makes the plaintiffs happy. No point in getting a huge financial settlement if it can't be paid by the other party.

I suspect it would be a warning message to other promotions to get their contract situation sorted out or draw scrutiny from regulators. But more directly, if you're Bellator, you'd have to shorten your contracts, or else why would UFC fighters sign with you?

https://www.ufcclassaction.com/

Doubt it, if WME kicks Dana to the curb, and that's a big if, I don't see a lot of promotions wanting him at that point. And that was the point of paying of Sakakibara, it was a noncompete.
I think lots of promotions would still want him. He’s like the Colonel Sanders of UFC.

Back