UFC and its growing list of gatekeepers/bermudatriangler's

I wouldn't call Frankie Edgar a gate keeper seeing as he is arguably the best fighter in two divisions TS. As for the rest of what you said it just isn't logical IMO. Gatekeepers test the up and comers and are helpful for dividing top tier fighters and low tier fighters. Plus they would have to completely change the setup into a GP format. Too much work for the UFC and not a lot of reward.

So do you think the Gatekeepers are happy with just being fighters who will never get the chance at the belt again? I would think anyone who is in a professional sport is in it to win the ultimate prize.
If I knew I was never to win the belt I would start looking at another place to fight.

Dana and co. are doing just fine as they are. Tourney/Gran Prix do not always pan out for the best in regards to pay dirt.

Remember the strikeforce HW GP not so long ago. I was super pumped for that, SF seemed to have the edge in the HW department over the UFC. But that kind of fizzled out because it dragged out due to injury and circumstances. Also Fedor "Cash Cow" Emelienko lost in the first round.

If UFC aint doing too well and they need a hype ball to get rolling, maybe they can promote "the greatest GP ever" type crap.

8 man tournaments with the fquarterfinals and semifinals in FX/Fuel and finals in PPV/FOX. a pretty big prize and a trophy for the winner. a good way to have the mid-level guys relevant and make FX/Fuel fights interesting.

How about guys like Evans not freeze and act like they haven't trained a day in their life when they fight the champion. Evans talked a big game in how everything Jackson did was wrong against Jones and then goes in and does exactly what he criticized Rampage for.

Of course I'm being a keyboard warrior here but you typically only get one or two chances at the world title. It seems guys blow the chance by being too careful or psyche themselves out.

Condit clearly wasn't at GSP's level in their fight and it showed. Still, he tried to win and almost pulled off the upset. He at least tried. Guys like Okami, Evans, Maia were embarrassing.

How can anyone be Ok with allowing the best guy in the division relinquish the belt in order to make fighters which he has beat relevant. This is a dumb idea.

Would be fun to see an annual year round event. Like a 16 fighter tourney throughout the year and the finals wins the belt.

My first thread, be gentle. :)

I've seen this coming for a long time. Now that UFC has Strikeforce, the roster has become huge. Sounds good in theory, lots more fighters. But what I've been noticing is that more and more people like Rich Franklin, Rashad Evans and Frankie Edgar are lost with almost no place to go.
Its like a death sentence for your career when you loose attempting to get the belt.

So what does the fighter do? Leave the weight class they felt was their best chance at getting the belt and go to another weight class that is already filled with fighters trying to go for the belt. Usually doesn't work out well

Here is my idea...

Wouldn't it be a better idea for the winner of the belt to relinquish the belt after a year of title defenses (If they don't loose during that year) and start it all over again, but with a Grand Prix like in Pride? Maybe the fighter who relinquishes the belt gets a by into the semi finals or something...

That way, the loosing fighter has every opportunity to win the belt the following year. So who they lost to the previous year, might not be in the finals the following year.

I'm still a newbie with UFC, started to really follow it in 07, so maybe I'm off my rocker, but I really feel bad for those fighters like Rich Franklin who will almost never have the chance at the title again.

The Chicago Cubs have a team every season. They are unlikely to ever make it the distance. They still play along with the other teams. They'll win some and lose some. They'll have fans.

Who cares if there are good fights with guys who will never hold a title?

i think the idea is really cool, ofc it would be interesting

would be likely to happen if one of the current champs was just like fck it listen joe silva/sean shelby/dana, i want to relinquish my title and re-earn it through a tournament (pride grand prix) format, then the p4p top 10 or X amount in that specific division would draw names out of a hat :p (belt relinquish-er gets some sort of a 1st round BYE)

How can anyone be Ok with allowing the best guy in the division relinquish the belt in order to make fighters which he has beat relevant. This is a dumb idea.

Tennis players win Wimbledon and play again next year.
Teams give up their Bowl, Cup, etc every year and start over the next year.

I see it also stopping the best fighters from being too complacent. If they are that good, then they can try it again next year.
Next to Wins/Losses/No Contests could be another section for Belts won...

Maybe

Rashad? He took Jones to a 5 round decision and besides Jones's loss to Hamill his only blemish-ish!

How about guys like Evans not freeze and act like they haven't trained a day in their life when they fight the champion. Evans talked a big game in how everything Jackson did was wrong against Jones and then goes in and does exactly what he criticized Rampage for.

Of course I'm being a keyboard warrior here but you typically only get one or two chances at the world title. It seems guys blow the chance by being too careful or psyche themselves out.

Condit clearly wasn't at GSP's level in their fight and it showed. Still, he tried to win and almost pulled off the upset. He at least tried. Guys like Okami, Evans, Maia were embarrassing.

Was about to rage on you for being a keyboard warrior, but you make some excellent points. Guys who have lost/quit before they've even stepped in the cage don't deserve a title shot.

Or we could just have grand prix's like Pride and not implement the rest of the idea.

Good for sports team with season draft.
Terrible for individual sports.

Silva and GSP deserve to be making Silva/GSP money.

Rashad? He took Jones to a 5 round decision and besides Jones's loss to Hamill his only blemish-ish!

But with Rashad looking at going to 185, he must know something we don't. Maybe he feels he'll never beat JJ or that he'll never have a chance for a rematch.

Tennis players win Wimbledon and play again next year.
Teams give up their Bowl, Cup, etc every year and start over the next year.

I see it also stopping the best fighters from being too complacent. If they are that good, then they can try it again next year.
Next to Wins/Losses/No Contests could be another section for Belts won...

Maybe

Tell them what, they should forfeit their rankings and every golf player should play the US Opens and may the best man win? Sure good luck with that. Let's see what they'll say to that. I suppose you think they'd say, sure, let us have a 30000 people tournament and by the time it starts again next year, Nike will know who to sign to a sponsorship contract. Obviously the guy won't make it through that tournament again, perhaps ever, but that way maybe Nike can sponsor the winner for a week and then that's that? Media would just love to sit in front of a new dude every year. Then everyone could hold interviews with him only and all the rest of the guys will be poor as fuck. Then if he loses all of 12 people will show up to watch the 30000 golfers they don't know and Nike will stop sponsoring anybody in the sport. Then nobody will want to learn it any more and all the golf courses would go bankrupt quickly. But hey, maybe that one dude you really like that seems stuck making millions now could possibly one day have the honor of being the Champion for the week that it's worth, probably not though. Chances do not really get better for them, but then again it won't matter since you will have destroyed the sport. Maybe I can tell to golfers and tennis players that they need to forfeit their rankings to make it more interesting for you, I doubt they would listen to such a dumb proposal though.

Tennis players don't play 3 times a year. They play over 50 matches a year and there are almost 2000 ranked players in the world. There aren't 2000 players in the UFC.

Tennis also has no weight classes. They have one champion for the males and one for females. There is clear world number 1 at all times. They may not win Wimbledon, but yet still be number 1 based on their points, because they won the most important matches. For this to work in MMA you need 50 fights a year or so. Imagine tennis rankings and tournaments in MMA. Cain would be below JDS right now for fuck's sake. How would that work in your great idea TS? Takes a beating, gets crowned Champion regardless. That would go over well with MMA. Hey maybe in 10 years Cain will have won enough big fights to warrant a number one spot. Tennis is not MMA. They don't fight often enough for it to be comparable.

Tennis players don't train in teams, they may have a main training partner, but they usually train individually. They have no issue playing against their training partners either. They don't wreck people for a living, they hit a ball.

And I could go on and on and on about differences in those sports that make them very hard to compare. You simply can't compare these sports. The only thing they really have in common is that they have individuals competing against each other.

And what you propose is not playing out Wimbledon new every year. You already have that. The winner of UFC 145 is not automatically the winner of UFC 146 and UFC 147 and so on and so forth. Every event has main fights and winners of those in fighting as well. You propose to have no clear number one for sponsors and fans to cling to, which you can promote, break into new markets with, etc. You want to strap them of this which they worked all their life to earn for no reason at all.

What you want is to strip everyone of all their points and to restart the atp world rankings after a certain time, which you say would give good tennis players that can't win major tournaments a much better shot at making it to the first place in the rankings, where you rake in the sponsorship cash. And you claim this would make it more interesting. It's nonsense though. They don't do that, because then it would be impossible to have clear seeds to major tournaments and people wouldn't come to watch them. Tennis is organized in a way that lets the best play the major tournaments and some lesser players play a qualifier, which is a mini-tournament that lets lesser players get into a big field provided they make it through those rounds.

People on the Challenger and ITF tours play hard to make it to the ATP rankings and get into bigger tournaments or even qualifiers. The same happens in MMA. People win locally, they win regionally, then in big organizations and lastly they get a shot in the UFC. Then they work their way up. If they can't reach the very top it doesn't mean the system is wrong. Not every good tennis player is highly ranked in the ATP. Some of them dominate the Challenger tour and do not even try their hand at Wimbledon. Some players only play sand, regardless of being ranked high. They may chose not the play in Wimbledon at all and they might still be in the top 10 and rake in millions because of it.

Stripping them of all points and having everyone always start at the same level, I suppose the ATP level and seeding them into Wimbledon would give you a 3 months tournament. This is not how it works in the real world.

You get the points you got last tournament and you defend your points. They don't arbitrarily restart the rankings to give some middle of the road guy a shot at being the best for no good reason other than you claiming it would give their existence more purpose.

And on and on and on, I could go. You are not even close to being the Michael Jordan of tennis.

Last edited:
ultimately i know what the op is trying to say, he wants the lower level guys to have something to strive for besides being #11 on the rankings. even the interim belt is completely meaningless and nobody cares about it. if they did have a tournament style gp type thing it would be awesome. hard to see it happen though, i mean the ufc's gameplan banks on the fact that they market whatever contender has earned/is marketable for the title. what if a guy in said gp style tournament just wreck everybody before getting the belt and the champion of the same division's challenger get injured? with the influx of injuries its hard for this type of thing to go down but i'd love a tournament every year maybe 2 or 3.

ultimately i know what the op is trying to say, he wants the lower level guys to have something to strive for besides being #11 on the rankings. even the interim belt is completely meaningless and nobody cares about it. if they did have a tournament style gp type thing it would be awesome.

You summarized me perfectly :)
I'm a big Rich Franklin fan and it kills me to see him not have another title shot. I think he could still be a contender, just not against Anderson Silva.

Maybe a tag team championship is needed....lol I kid I kid :)

ultimately i know what the op is trying to say, he wants the lower level guys to have something to strive for besides being #11 on the rankings. even the interim belt is completely meaningless and nobody cares about it. if they did have a tournament style gp type thing it would be awesome. hard to see it happen though, i mean the ufc's gameplan banks on the fact that they market whatever contender has earned/is marketable for the title. what if a guy in said gp style tournament just wreck everybody before getting the belt and the champion of the same division's challenger get injured? with the influx of injuries its hard for this type of thing to go down but i'd love a tournament every year maybe 2 or 3.

Yeah tournaments like Strikeforce did, that would be fine, but it poses logistical problems regardless and they did it, because there was no clear number one guy and many new guys all on a high level, so it made sense to recreate what Pride did collecting the best and putting them in a tourney. But in Pride the champ stayed the champ for the OWGP. There is a clear number one guy in the UFC and he worked hard for that.

Back