UFC and Bellator now on FOX Sports?

Exactly. Iv done some research about that. Brazil is not latin america because they dont have any relations with spain, long story short.

I don't know wtf you guys are arguing about.

First of all, the term "Latin America" was invented by the French, and especially under Napolean III as a means of political solidarity towards non-Anglophone Americans. It has nothing to do with Spanish exclusivity, as Portuguese-speaking Brazil is considered Latin America's largest economy/country, so it is part of Latin America.

Secondly, the question whether Fox Latin America is available in Brazil or not, is very much a legitimate question. Not all channels air in every country, and especially when Brazil is the only Portuguese-speaking country in a sea of Spanish-speaking countries.

You'd think the UFC would of a had some sort of clause in their contract preventing this from happening.

Did Viacom prevent UFC from airing on ESPN in the UK? These are completely separate divisions working in different countries, they have separate contracts and dealings.

ESPN aired UFC in the UK while it was still on SpikeTV (viacom) in the US. This type of things happen all the time. In certain countries, certain conglomerates aren't direct competitors, so they air each other's programming. For example: In South and South-East Asia, "Star World" air programming produced by CBS, NBC, ABC (like "Lost" and "Two & A Half Men"), even though Star is owned by News Corp. In the US, HBO airs movies from Paramount, even thought Paramount is owned by Viacom, whereas HBO is Time Warner's.

UFC and FOX do not have a "worldwide deal" of any sorts, learn the first thing about Television: its all regional. UFC already airs in Latin America, so of course 'Fox Latin America' is going to go with Bellator.

It's South America's version of espn. Pretty much everyone with a tv down there gets it. Its the south american equivalent of the UFC being on in prime time.

I believe South Americas version of ESPN would be ESPN Deportes, no?

Regardless, Dana shouldn't be bothered. It's good to have parity and Bellator still is a AAA-League to the UFC.

It's possible my sources were mistaken on that

Biggest: SporTV, SporTV 2 and 3
2nd: ESPN channels
3rd: Fox Sports

Fox Sports Brasil is about 1 year and a half old and it's going to be 2nd soon.

It seems it may only be in Spanish-speaking countries, not Brazil.

Fox Sports L.A seems to be exclusively Spanish, whereas Fox Sports Brasil seems to be in Portuguese. They're two separate channels.

I believe South Americas version of ESPN would be ESPN Deportes, no?

Regardless, Dana shouldn't be bothered. It's good to have parity and Bellator still is a AAA-League to the UFC.

Deportes only airs in the US.

Also, its hilarious how none of you understand how television works. A company (say MLB) makes a deal with TV (say ESPN), for rights to broadcast their programming in their region. So then, it doesn't matter what other TV channels ESPN owns elsewhere, they only have rights to the US. ESPN cannot legally air the same feed to another region, cuz someone else (another channel) has the rights to that region. The programming that air on Deportes are exclusive to the US.

Why do you think people in the US are forced to buy PPVs for UFC, when people elsewhere can just watch it free on TV? What prevents American cable companies or consumers from simply linking one of those channels? Its the nature of how TV works: its all based on regional deals/rights.

UFC and FOX do not have a "worldwide deal" of any sorts, learn the first thing about Television: its all regional. UFC already airs in Latin America, so of course 'Fox Latin America' is going to go with Bellator.

I think what most people on are surprised about is that fox would choose the UFCs "enemy" and current rival competitor. There seems to be serious bad blood between the orgs especially from the ufcs side and I thought fox was almost a partner with them and had plans to help the company grow on a global scale. Suddenly fox is helping the ufcs competitor grow on a global scale. That's the way I see it as a fan but I'll admit I don't know that much about how tv works. So you think this is a common practice in the tv business?

Well that didn't take long. He seems nonchalant about it. Either he's waiting to get more information from his people, or he already knows and isn't prepared to speak on it.

Or he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him and talk smack about fox. I bet he is concerned but what can he do? He cant just come out and say "this is bullsh#t! We signed a #*%+%

UFC might be too comfortable with the fox deal and haven't been doing all they can to bring in the highest ratings possible. They could have been putting much better cards together and doing things to promote them for example. Maybe fox is signing bellator to light a fire under their a$$e$ and get them to really compete and try to blow the bellator rating out of the water every week as opposed to "I'm not worried" and "it's all a part of the building process for the new channel" or "the numbers are actually phenomenal"

I think what most people on are surprised about is that fox would choose the UFCs "enemy" and current rival competitor. There seems to be serious bad blood between the orgs especially from the ufcs side and I thought fox was almost a partner with them and had plans to help the company grow on a global scale. Suddenly fox is helping the ufcs competitor grow on a global scale. That's the way I see it as a fan but I'll admit I don't know that much about how tv works. So you think this is a common practice in the tv business?

Does HBO not air movies from Paramount, cuz Paramount is owned by Time Warner? Does FOX not air Seinfeld, even though Seinfeld is from NBC Universal? .... Do you get the picture here, we are talking about television.

People like Dana and Zuffa can get personal all they want, and whine and moan all they want. But the Television networks and giant media conglomerates are above that. They need each others' content to survive, in fact they make money off of airing each others' content. Nothing surprising here, except from fools who know nothing about the business.

UFC might be too comfortable with the fox deal and haven't been doing all they can to bring in the highest ratings possible. They could have been putting much better cards together and doing things to promote them for example. Maybe fox is signing bellator to light a fire under their a$$e$ and get them to really compete and try to blow the bellator rating out of the water every week as opposed to "I'm not worried" and "it's all a part of the building process for the new channel" or "the numbers are actually phenomenal"

UFC's deal was with FOX US, not freaking News Corp. UFC already airs in Latin America (that too on rival outlets), so of course UFC L.A is going to go with Bellator.

They're in the money business, they have stockholders, Dana means nothing to them; if theres a MMA market in Latin America (which there is), then FOX L.A. is going to make money off that. Since they can't air UFC, they went with Bellator. Just like in the US, Bellator (and even PRIDE) first aired on FSN, but Fox went with the UFC.

Dana never likes not being the only show in town. How do you think he feels?

I guess not...brazil isnt part of latin america.

rofl

americans...

550px-Latin_America_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Last edited:
And yes, Brazil have it's Fox Sports Brasil with their own programming, staff, etc. There's nothing to do with US or LAM.

Brazil (GLOBO) -- 55 million HH
Mexico (TELEVISA) -- 24 million HH
Colombia (CARACOL TV) – 11.8 million HH
Peru (AMERICA TV) -- 6.8 million HH
Ecuador (TELEAMAZONAS) -- 3.8 million HH
Panama (TVMAX) -- 460,000 HH
Argentina (AMERICA TV) -- 10.9 million HH
Nicaragua (Channel 4 RATENSA) -- 570,000 HH

Those are some of the household numbers for the UFC in Latin America, besides Globo which is a separate deal, the UFC wil have 4 free to air shows a year and UFC Guerreros every Saturday night, it's starting with Cain Vs JDS 3. They will only show the top 3 fights and the rest will be on the UFC Subscription Network.

Does HBO not air movies from Paramount, cuz Paramount is owned by Time Warner? Does FOX not air Seinfeld, even though Seinfeld is from NBC Universal? .... Do you get the picture here, we are talking about television.

People like Dana and Zuffa can get personal all they want, and whine and moan all they want. But the Television networks and giant media conglomerates are above that. They need each others' content to survive, in fact they make money off of airing each others' content. Nothing surprising here, except from fools who know nothing about the business.

UFC's deal was with FOX US, not freaking News Corp. UFC already airs in Latin America (that too on rival outlets), so of course UFC L.A is going to go with Bellator.

They're in the money business, they have stockholders, Dana means nothing to them; if theres a MMA market in Latin America (which there is), then FOX L.A. is going to make money off that. Since they can't air UFC, they went with Bellator. Just like in the US, Bellator (and even PRIDE) first aired on FSN, but Fox went with the UFC.

Good post

Dana never likes not being the only show in town. How do you think he feels?

According to this newer article he's investigating how the transaction came about lol
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f61/bjorn-rebney-new-fox-deal-fox-reached-out-us-2568383/

In Latin America, the UFC is partnered in Brazil with Globo and in Mexico (and other territories) with Televisa. Yet the new alliance between Bellator and FOX came as a surprise to one of the Viacom-owned promotion's most vocal critics, UFC President Dana White, who on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com he would look into how the partnership came about in spite of the Las Vegas-based UFC's prominent role with FOX.

Ufc has already oversaturated the market IMHO. They should be focussing on quality over quantity at this point. Bellator has the quality, quantity, and the price is right...it's just a matter of gaining more exposure which is exactly what they are doing.

Bellator has subpar fighters, lacking in quality. They have far too few shows, quantity is lacking. Price is dictated by how coveted a thing is. If Bellator gained in popularity price would increase as well.

Back