Ufc 79

BrunswickMAF

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
At UFC 79 GSP defeated Matt Hughes for the interim belt. The original match up was Hughes vs. Serra but Serra, the then champ got hurt, and GSP stepped in.

If Serra didn't get hurt do you think it would've had any effect on the WW landscape of that time and what do you think the ripple effect, if any, would have been?

The day where Chuck played the point game with Wanderlei

I dont think much would changed, at this point we knew that GSP would easily take care of Hughes, so even if Matt won GSP would still regain his title a bit later. If Serra won vs Hughes, GSP would have beat him regardless. So in any case GSP would beat em both the next fight.

The salt is real.

ufc79_liddell_vs_silva.jpg

I still curse to this day that this fight wasn't 5 rounds.

Wouldve meant GSp would get the belt from Hughes some months later.

Clementi vs Guillard were fighting then also. Some heated moments right there!

That wasn't the problem, the fight happened too late.

I agree but UFC and pride could not swallow their enlarged egos back then.

UFC 79 was a great card. Machida/Sokodjou, Chuck/Wand, GSP/Hughes, Clementi/Guillard. No girl fights, little fellas, or TUF journeymen on the card and 3 fights that would all be main events now.

Back in the ufc glory days..no wmma and midgets for sure and poor wandy fans can't get over the fact that he was overrated to death in pride and has no good wins in the ufc besides Keith sardine

I still curse to this day that this fight wasn't 5 rounds.

Wandy had nothing going into round 3....and this is coming from a die hard Wandy fan. A 5 round fight would have just been 2 more rounds (if it lasted) of Chuck having his way

Back