UFC 280: Oliveira vs. Makhachev, Sat, Oct 22

Pettis was a flash sub? I swear it was later in the fight and there had been a whole bunch of back and forth grappling?
Yes and Pettis also dropped him, might have been with strikes to the body and multiple times if I recall right (only seen the fight once when it happened - this out of memory).
By flash sub I mean Oliviera was controlling the grappling and as if out of nowhere Pettis grabbed a quillotine in the third round. There was lots of grappling and nothing to take away from Anthony it was a nice win at the time in his fw debut.
It reminded me a bit about Charles fight with Lamas (the one where he came in weighing 155 pounds to a featherweight fight) Charels took him and controlled until Lamas got the choke in the second.

Edit. take this post with grain of salt as I'm super confident in my memory but it has been proven not as bulletproof as Id want it to be :D

Last edited:
mkess101 I think we pretty much agree on key points. Oliviera has been subbed in the past and has had problems but he is a different beast now. Islam might be that good it doesn't even matter.

mkess101 I think we pretty much agree on key points. Oliviera has been subbed in the past and has had problems but he is a different beast now. Islam might be that good it doesn't even matter.

100% this.

Excuse my ignorance but if Kevin Lee took down and controlled Oliveira for 2 rounds why wont Islam?

Also curious does Islam ever implement the tripod position that Khabib used to do on his opponents where he traps the legs and gnps?

Excuse my ignorance but if Kevin Lee took down and controlled Oliveira for 2 rounds why wont Islam?

Also curious does Islam ever implement the tripod position that Khabib used to do on his opponents where he traps the legs and gnps?

To be fair, Lee was always a beastly grappler early in fights. He just had a shit gas tank and could never sustain it. But yes, that's the thought that those of us betting on Islam have. That he will take Charles down and control him.

I think Islam has used that tripod but can't remember for sure. He actually will work to side control pretty often, something a lot of guys now avoid (they feel they have better control in keeping their opponent in half guard). Islam seems to be just fine in any position once he takes someone down.

To be fair, Lee was always a beastly grappler early in fights. He just had a shit gas tank and could never sustain it. But yes, that's the thought that those of us betting on Islam have. That he will take Charles down and control him.

I think Islam has used that tripod but can't remember for sure. He actually will work to side control pretty often, something a lot of guys now avoid (they feel they have better control in keeping their opponent in half guard). Islam seems to be just fine in any position once he takes someone down.
Thanks for the insight.

I was leaning Oliveira originally but looking back on his recent fights he thrives in a firefight. I'm starting to think Islam will weather the early storm, avoid brawling, and keep it grinding and grueling. I see Islam by submission rd2/3

When Belal faces pressure he struggles. He's not had that experience for a few fights now. This will be very different....

I might make my biggest bet ever on Gamrot -188 over Dariush. Anyone with any good reason why I shouldn't do this?

Dariush is a severely over-ranked journeyman, and Gamrot is an underrated near-elite talent. I am shocked that Gamrot isn't at least -300

I might make my biggest bet ever on Gamrot -188 over Dariush. Anyone with any good reason why I shouldn't do this?

Dariush is a severely over-ranked journeyman, and Gamrot is an underrated near-elite talent. I am shocked that Gamrot isn't at least -300

I'm also thinking of betting him but how do you think Gamrot wins? I favor him by decision or fluke KO haha.
Playing devil's advocate:
Dariush has never lost a decision(MJ fight was close). He's good, not great, everywhere.
His KO losses aside from Barboza were pretty flukey. Striking is underrated.
Dariush has a pretty good ground game. Went head to head with prime Kron grappling.

I'm also thinking of betting him but how do you think Gamrot wins? I favor him by decision or fluke KO haha.
Playing devil's advocate:
Dariush has never lost a decision(MJ fight was close). He's good, not great, everywhere.
His KO losses aside from Barboza were pretty flukey. Striking is underrated.
Dariush has a pretty good ground game. Went head to head with prime Kron grappling.
Gamrot decisions him with superior top control, or KO's him

I think Gamrot wins too but calling Dariush 'a journeyman' is just fucking retarded. He clearly belongs in the top 5. Dariush is very underrated striker and his pure BJJ is the best in the LW division (it's whether him or Charles)

I think Gamrot wins too but calling Dariush 'a journeyman' is just fucking retarded. He clearly belongs in the top 5. Dariush is very underrated striker and his pure BJJ is the best in the LW division (it's whether him or Charles)
Top 5 implies he's a top 5 LW fighter, he is not. There are definitely 5 better than him on the UFC roster, likely at least 10 imo.

I was thinking that as well when the line opened, then I rewatched gamrot-tsarukyan and was reminded he clearly lost the first 2 and then outpaced tsarukyan with grappling later. He never really seemed to win the stand up either...

This is important to note because it's a 3 round fight. I don't really think much of dariush, one of his best wins is old man tony after gaethje beating, but gamrot can get boxed up if you defend takedowns well when you're fresh. I also wouldn't be surprised if Darius could KO gamrot. I'm more confident in Islam over Charles and tsarukyan over ismagulov.

Still might place a unit on gamrot but I have to think it over before.

Last edited:
I was thinking that as well when the line opened, then I rewatched gamrot-tsarukyan and was reminded he clearly lost the first 2 and then outpaced tsarukyan with grappling later. He never really seemed to win the stand up either...

This is important to note because it's a 2 round fight. I don't really think much of dariush, one of his best wins is old man tony after gaethje beating, but gamrot can get boxed up if you defend takedowns well when you're fresh. I also wouldn't be surprised if Darius could KO gamrot. I'm more confident in Islam over Charles and tsarukyan over ismagulov.

Still might place a unit on gamrot but I have to think it over before.
I believe both Kutateladze and Tsarukyan are much better overall fighters than Dariush. Gamrot is at worst on the same level as both those guys. I know styles make fights, but Gamrot will be the stronger man and likely won't get caught or controlled in the grappling exchanges.

I believe both Kutateladze and Tsarukyan are much better overall fighters than Dariush. Gamrot is at worst on the same level as both those guys. I know styles make fights, but Gamrot will be the stronger man and likely won't get caught or controlled in the grappling exchanges.
I also noticed when Dariush wants to engage in striking he does a weird hopping entrance like a thai fighter faking a teep but different, and dariush keeps his hands down and is susceptible to counter punching.

Very very bad tendency but gamrot didn't show anything in striking department against tsarukyan, was very surprised when I rewatches tsarukyan fight like I said.

Kutateladz is a beast too. There are not many fighters I'd favor over this new group.

I've taken Gadzhi Omargadzhiev as a dog. I feel like this line is quite reactionary based on the Borralho fight who's a tough matchup for anyone in the division. I don't think Abubakar is anything special.

Back