UFC 262 Event Tempo began on fire, but...

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed the PPV opening bout, but thought that the event tempo literally went stagnant from the mid-card to the main...?

I totally expected the Chookagian fight to be uninspiring and took the opportunity to let the dog out, fold laundry and clean my gutters, no biggie.

I was honestly surprised that Schnell was somewhat outclassed and looked lost out there, although he was obviously at a weight disadvantage and was the odds on underdog. Again the tempo of this fight was quite unimpressive and it was obvious that there was undercard level talent thrust into the maincard.

Fast forward to Dariush versus Ferguson, Tony fights are never snoozers... right?

Most obviously the main event delivered and then some, but in the grand scheme of things those of us idiots who paid the $70 for the PPV basically got a few rounds of fighting actually worth the money being like the opening and closing chapter of a good novel with and 45 minutes of in Octagon filler being the useless drivel in between....

I thought about paying for this PPV.

But....

1934863_orig.jpg

This is part of the problem with charging $70. That’s a high price tag for something that might suck and there’s no way to know beforehand. They need to ditch the ppv model and offer a reasonable price to get access to all events.

The main event was great. Back and forth whole 1st round with a high pace and then the finish. Nothing really happened in Tony vs Beneil. Chookagian's fights are skippable. I thought there would be more exchanges between Barboza and Burgos, but it was pretty much Edson from range. The main event saved this card.

This is part of the problem with charging $70. That’s a high price tag for something that might suck and there’s no way to know beforehand. They need to ditch the ppv model and offer a reasonable price to get access to all events.

As @chitoortiz already stated, most 'doggers don't pay to watch. A monthly sub. would be cool. But I guess ESPN is paying them a ton of money regardless.

I saw a lot of complaints about the Chookagian fight, but that Schnell fight had me screaming at my projector screen. Listen, did anyone expect an exciting fight wioth Chookagian? No, because even a fan who doesn't have an issue with WMMA in general, like me, isn't expecting fireworks from a fight with her name on it unless her opponent is named Valentina.

But Matt Schnell, who has had some decent fights as far as excitement, went full on Kalib Starnes in there against a guy known not to have scary stand up skills. That was a pathetic display compared to the WMMA fight. At least in that fight nobody backpedaled for 15 minutes and looked like a ghost out there. Schnell's performance was the kind that should instantly get you cut. Just terrible.

It didn't look like a 70 dollar card on paper so I didn't buy it.

Herb is the opposite<45>
Herb has the cool, calm, and collective demeanor of a guy who consumed top shelf edibles before the main card started... he’s like “look at this fool”

It didn't look like a 70 dollar card on paper so I didn't buy it.
I usually skip the so-so cards, but thought that 3 of the fights were going to be no brainer Just Bleed offerings, damn you Benny Dariush,,,

I usually skip the so-so cards, but thought that 3 of the fights were going to be no brainer Just Bleed offerings, damn you Benny Dariush,,,

Honestly, I kind of slept on the Barboza fight. It ended up being awesome but when looking over the card, maybe because his last couple weren't that memorable, I didn't even give it a thought. And yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a boring Ferg fight until now.

If the UFC had a deal to pay $20 -30 a month for everything (fight pass, espn +, ppvs) , I'd be all over it.

That’s a much more approachable price point. I think many people that might otherwise stream would be willing to spend that for a reliable HD stream over going to sketchy websites with sometimes unreliable streams, myself included. Would they recoup the losses from the higher price point of Ppvs now this way? I think it’s possible, but can’t say for sure. But I will say it would make the sport much more approachable to any new fans and lead to more eyes on the product, which is always a good thing from a business perspective.

Who's idea was it to put Chookagian in there AFTER a Barboza fight? Way to kill the mood. Putting two no name flyweights after that was dumb too.

The person in charge of the bout orders needs to go.

Am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed the PPV opening bout, but thought that the event tempo literally went stagnant from the mid-card to the main...?

I totally expected the Chookagian fight to be uninspiring and took the opportunity to let the dog out, fold laundry and clean my gutters, no biggie.

I was honestly surprised that Schnell was somewhat outclassed and looked lost out there, although he was obviously at a weight disadvantage and was the odds on underdog. Again the tempo of this fight was quite unimpressive and it was obvious that there was undercard level talent thrust into the maincard.

Fast forward to Dariush versus Ferguson, Tony fights are never snoozers... right?

Most obviously the main event delivered and then some, but in the grand scheme of things those of us idiots who paid the $70 for the PPV basically got a few rounds of fighting actually worth the money being like the opening and closing chapter of a good novel with and 45 minutes of in Octagon filler being the useless drivel in between....

Pretty much spot on with how I feel.

Just Bleed God had an entire arm to feed on from the prelims, so he was unfortunately satiated for a time and knew there'd be back and forth knockdowns and two close sub attempts in the main event for dessert and was saving room

He also used some ligament from Tony Ferguson's knee as floss

That’s a much more approachable price point. I think many people that might otherwise stream would be willing to spend that for a reliable HD stream over going to sketchy websites with sometimes unreliable streams, myself included. Would they recoup the losses from the higher price point of Ppvs now this way? I think it’s possible, but can’t say for sure. But I will say it would make the sport much more approachable to any new fans and lead to more eyes on the product, which is always a good thing from a business perspective.

Agreed with everything you said except the sketchy websites and unreliable streams portion.

This isn't 2010. Streams have come leaps and bounds in quality.

Agreed with everything you said except the sketchy websites and unreliable streams portion.

This isn't 2010. Streams have come leaps and bounds in quality.

I’ve had them shit out on me in the middle of fights numerous times, but maybe that’s just me.

Back