UFC 246 feels like a boxing card

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone else get this feeling?

Conor vs. Cowboy is an incredible fight, we will all be watching in one way or another (or reading about it on here non-stop during and after). However, the rest of the card just doesn't have me super excited for any of the other fights.

Holm vs Pennington
Oleynik vs. Greene
Pettis vs. Ferreira
Barber vs. Modaferri

I like Holm, Oleynik, and Pettis but they are fighting relatively less-known fighters. This card reminds me of a Canelo boxing card where you pass the time watching the undercard and hope that most of them end in finishes so you get to the main event faster.

I wish this event had a few other big name fights. Guess it will sell with Conor's name alone

Boxing usually has a decent co main, this just feels like a rip off in the name of casuals

Welcome to the new era of UFC. Where Prelims run all the way to the co-main event.

And all the interesting fights that used to fall on a PPV main card now get spread across the 3-4 cards that fall within that calendar month as headline bouts.

This is a glorified Fight Night card but I'll take it for the main event.

Terrible card. Pink goof thinks Conor pulls in PPV buys regardless, so just puts a fight night under him.

Welcome to the new era of UFC. Where Prelims run all the way to the co-main event.

And all the interesting fights that used to fall on a PPV main card now get spread across the 3-4 cards that fall within that calendar month as headline bouts.
this was a late card it wasnt supposed to happen if youve watched the previous cards you would know theyre stacked asf, i think youre joking though right?

This is a glorified Fight Night card but I'll take it for the main event.

Agreed - I'm still going to watch, but I don't think I would sit through a card like this unless it was for a Conor, Khabib, GSP, etc.

It's pretty lame card but even those seem to have few surprises ... So calm your titties and settle down.

It's pretty lame card but even those seem to have few surprises ... So calm your titties and settle down.

You can't complain about a card, until the card's over!

099_Dana_White.0.jpg

Looking forward to conor/cowboy, CDF/Pettis & dober/nasrat a lot

Barber/roxy kinda too

Couldn’t care less about the rest

Am I the only one pumped for the Pettis fight lol

this was a late card it wasnt supposed to happen if youve watched the previous cards you would know theyre stacked asf, i think youre joking though right?
I am not joking.

OP said it feels like a boxing card. With one big fight, a half decent co-main, then the rest being filler. To me the UFC follow more of a WWE model now. Knowing their loyal fans will watch any shit they serve up because we love fights, and only bothering to try and put on a few cards a year that are big cards. Such as July Fight Week in Vegas, November at MSG, and the December Vegas card. By putting these cards in the second half of the calendar, recency bias means sometimes we look back and think they stack their cards.

First let me clarify my definition of stacked. I don’t consider three good fights to be a stacked PPV main card. I consider three good fights to be decent, and the bare minimum to make me justify paying for a card rather than streaming or watching at a pub. And I consider 4-5 good fights to be stacked.

In 2019, the only PPV main cards I consider decent were:
UFC 238 - Cejudo vs Moraes, Schevchenko vs Eye (this is a stretch), Ferguson vs Cerrone
UFC 241 - Cormier vs Miocic 2, Pettis vs Diaz, Costa vs Romero

And the only 2019 cards I’d even consider calling stacked were:
UFC 239 (International Fight Week) - Jones vs Santos, Nunes vs Holm, Masvidal vs Askren, Rockhold vs Blachowicz
UFC 244 (November MSG card) - Masvidal vs Diaz, Gastelum vs Till, Wonderboy vs Luque, Lewis vs Ivanov
UFC 245 - (December Vegas card) - Usman vs Covington, Holloway vs Volkanovski, Nunes vs GDR, Aldo vs Moraes, Yan vs Faber

So out of a whole years worth of PPV main cards, in my opinion there were 2 decent cards, and 3 stacked cards. PPV sales alone should be an indicator that there are far more crap cards than stacked or decent ones.

All of this is in my own opinion of course and I mean you no disrespect. Enjoy the card tomorrow.

I heard someone say this... might have been Jimmy Smith. I still think this will be a good card. But extremely weak on paper for a PPV.

those filthy casuals, not like me in my reebok fight kit which I wear at the GYM while shadow boxing in the corner. Sometimes I bring UFC branded hot dogs for a quick post work out snack.

I think youre joking. UFC 242 and 243 we're not stacked. i will say 244 and 245 were good cards though. This card is shit except for the main event. Most of the cards for this year were pretty bland too.

Send wmma to invicta or just get rid of that crap overall and things improve drastically.

Send wmma to invicta or just get rid of that crap overall and things improve drastically.
I’d like them to let WMMA stand on its own feet.

And ESPN are all about diversity. So let ESPN put their money where their mouth is and have two ESPN cards a year, 6 months apart, that are solely dedicated to women’s fights. ESPN Ladies Night.

The main cards can have the 115, 125, and 135 belts defended (145 is a completely irrelevant division). As well as Number One Contender fights for each of those divisions. Their prelims can be fights between other top 10 ranked fighters pushing for Number One Contender fights across the three divisions.

Unranked women can have their fights on the Fight Pass stages of cards the rest of the year around. Once they crack the rankings, they are eligible to appear on the the ESPN Ladies Night cards.

If those cards are unable to rate when being shown as free cards on the most progressive sports network, filled with title fights and number one contender bouts, then abolish WMMA.

Back