UFC 246 - A Throwback card (with unforgivable match making)

Cleveland

Sherdog Belt
@Green
Reaction score
For those with fondish memories of the two digit UFC cards, this combined the bad match making from several of them.

Welterweight Conor McGregor def. Donald Cerrone
-squash match head liner
-returning star pressure fighter against a notorious slow starter who hates being backed up
-Cerrone wilts in the lime light but this one felt like you were waiting for Conor to wink into the camera

Women's Bantamweight Holly Holm def. Raquel Pennington
-rematch of a fight no one wanted due to lack of depth in a division
-fun fact, they had THREE COMBINED WINS since 2016
-first fight was a stale split decision, second fight was am even more stale UD
-Holly doesn't hit hard, Pennington isn't chiny and both have just enough grappling to not be able to advance an engagement

Heavyweight Aleksei Oleinik def. Maurice Greene
-ok so this felt like a single digit UFC fight
-Oleinik doesn't appear to have the mobility or coordination to throw a strike, Greene didn't know a 42 year who moves in slow motion would only grapple..?
-this one really felt like the bad old days, there was a sense of inevitability but without any excitement

Bantamweight Brian Kelleher def. Ode Osbourne
-i was looking for Joe Silva in the crowd after this one
-fun up and coming fighter, who like everyone will need to work on grappling, gets a guy with 9 submission wins in 30 pro fights for his 11th and gets twisted into knots....
-the UFC has almost exclusively lucked into stars as they seem intent on snuffing out as many young guys as possible

Lightweight Carlos Diego Ferreira def. Anthony Pettis
-opening bout with a former champion who appears to be hanging around for the cheques and a penchant for being finished (quitting)
-that choke was not across his face, even the commentary team couldn't move that one along
-I truly believe in opening PPV fights being tone setters, they should be booked to be mismatches or fire fights

This card gave me a weird sense of deja vu. It was one thing when there weren't enough compelling fighters to fill out every card, but this is arguably 1 of 3 marquee fights for the year and it was designed to be a let down.

Am I just old now?

Back