UFC 241 Cormier vs Miocic II

Discussion in 'MMA Betting Discussion' started by JimGunn, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ApplesVild

ApplesVild Black Belt

Everyone seems to be on Ian Heinisch, myself included, but watching some tape last night and I have this feeling that Brunson can get the knock out/TKO, he still has big power and will probably come out hard and fast. Haven't seen much of Ian's stand up although he says it's his string suit

Might have to hedge with Brunson KO

2. Jordan3399

Jordan3399 Purple Belt

Or maybe rather than coming down to speculative psychological factors it comes down to who has the better cardio, striking, wrestling, clinch, power, speed, durability? And to address the point of DC not wanting it more, when has DC ever not given 100% in a fight?

2bet and theTKDguy like this.
  3. TrueAscension

TrueAscension Blue Belt

Daniel Cormier has also only lost to Jon Jones in his career...

theTKDguy likes this.
  4. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Black Belt

Will he though? Ever since the Whittaker ko he's been fighting rather reserved more often than not. Haven't seen the blitz forward throwing haymakers chin high in the air Brunson in a minute I feel. Still has his chin in the air tho.

theTKDguy and Sadistics like this.
  5. Jordan3399

Jordan3399 Purple Belt

He did it against Jacare again, didn't against Izzy as he was too scared to strike. Just went for wild TD attempts with his chin high instead to eat knees.

6. Rickson

Rickson LOL @ Askren & his fans who thought he was elite

Francis changed Stipe‘s chin forever

7. NonPhixion

NonPhixion White Belt

Regardless of the eye poke. Stipe was landing some nice one-two's, but he seemed too comfortable in the clinch. He can outbox DC and has the power to KO him. I can see it happening with a more patient game-plan, was a bit too wild in the 1st fight. Maybe I'm disrespecting DC here, but you have to ask questions of a guy that's 40 and looking at a retirement fight as great as he is.

8. Rickson

DC started MMA at 30. He is similar to Yoel in that regard. No worries at all about that.

I watched the fight again today and I used to think Stipe was almost dominant but that’s not the case at all. It was like every Cormier fight. He started slow and lost the first exchanges. Volkan was beating him for a minute, too. DC is short and needs time to figure out his range until he takes over and pressures you non-stop. DC was landing very nice shots once he found his range. He looked quicker and more accurate even before the eye poke.

DC can compete standing (to say the least) and he has the advantage in the clinch & on the ground.

9. theTKDguy

theTKDguy Platinum Native

Watch the embedded. Dc is motivated. He knows he wins this fight and he could be considered the hw goat. He obviously wants to separate jones the most he can from his legacy, and the hw championship is the only way he can do it. I expect a tough fight, but i'm confident in dc. Think he's the better fighter here.

10. Final Say

Final Say So Icey Belt

DC fought well, he found the punch he was looking for, but to deny that the eye pokes were extremely significant is silly

they were a large part of his offense and the reason the momentum went his direction

he landed an eye poke three seconds before the KO on the same side the punch landed. no one noticed, no break in the action, and three seconds later he lands a punch to the same side and stipe is on his back? thats not a coincidence.

11. Rickson

He caught Stipe with the exact same clinch strike before that. The second time he went to sleep. Stipe sucks in the clinch breaks. DC‘s team saw that weakness and they specifically trained for it as he mentioned afterwards.

12. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Black Belt

Collard out against Smith

13. Final Say

Final Say So Icey Belt

actually, with about 1:35 left in the first (stamped), cormier goes for the same exact punch on a clinch break and missed it. this was the last time he through that strike, stipe saw it coming and cormier missed it completely.

its a weakness for sure, but stipe still saw it and dodged it or rolled with it before.

dont you think its significant that the same punch missed (or glanced at best) a few times before the eyepoke, then went unnoticed and landed flush immediately after an eyepoke?

Trigger Dave, Paulsp and theTKDguy like this.
  14. theTKDguy

The eye poke def played a part on the ko but make no mistake, dc was having his way in the boxing dept. He was deflecting and parrying most of stipes shots and was landingg fast and hard. Thing that bothers me is how he moves his head downwards every single time he sees a 1-2 coming. He could easily get countered by feinting the 2 and throwing a hook instead but he puts his hands out and makes it hard for stipe to catch him. If stipe wins, it'll be a ko.

Dc knows how to fight bigger men when he's got the edge in speed, fight iq and athletism. Jones is the only one who arguably beats him in those areas except speed, while being the much larger man too.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    BaruchSpinoza likes this.
  15. Austisthunder

Austisthunder Blue Belt

Im surprised im the only one high on Kang here

Oblivian likes this.
  16. rev0lver

rev0lver Green Belt

Am I the only one just completely avoiding the top 3 fights? Lol whenever I start leaning to someone I second guess myself. Just gonna play some $5 bets at the bar and have fun watching.

Otherwise I'm moderately heavy on Assuncao and Bermudez. Assuncao as a dog against someone unproven against the elite of the division is an easy choice imo. Kenney is riding a good win that could prove to be a fluke or not. But Bermudez's dominance so far, even if it's against lesser opponents than Borg, makes me feel pretty good at a near-evens pick. Moderate play on Benitez as a bit of a hedge on those two. His standup is legit, and that might be where most of this fight takes place.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    matthew55 likes this.
  17. rev0lver

rev0lver Green Belt

I have zero faith in Brandon Davis and Kang probably wins, I just dunno if I trust him a ton either lol

Sono07 likes this.
  18. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Black Belt

Does Stipe hit harder than Rumble?

19. theTKDguy

Highly doubt it
    think he's the much better all around fighter tho

20. Rickson

You said it was the same side but DC reaches with his left hand when he touches him but the punch lands on the other side

21. Rickson

I’m on Kang, too. I think he finishes Davis. He has no business at 135 or maybe even the UFC lol.