UFC 237 Prelims ratings hit new low on ESPN

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, May 15, 2019.

1. TidWell

TidWell Silver Belt

And most of them are doing it by illegal stream they aint paying

2. TidWell

TidWell Silver Belt

This is what im thinking, they have a competitor in DAZN, with DAZN you dont have to order ppv they make every Canelo or big boxing or MMA fight free on DAZN just paying the month subscription, ESPN you not only have to subscribe to plus you still gotta dish out the 65 bucks for the ppv.

ESPN goal is to gain more subscribers to wipe Dazn out of the US market.

Dazn had to increase their monthly subscription to make profit.

3. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

netflix, hulu, amazon, dazn, espn. most people pay for some streaming services.

4. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

espn and dazn can coexist. there's no reason for espn to wipe them out. boxing fans who want to watch canelo and ggg and others will order dazn. same for mma fans who like bellator. i have dazn and espn+

Yacob likes this.
  5. MMAFightFan001

MMAFightFan001 White Belt

There's way too many cards and not enough names to draw in casuals. This week you would of had Magny v Luque - a good fight that would close the prelims or open a main card of a PPV, and it was slated for the co main. Then you have big fights like RDA v Lee and Gus v Smith on Fight Nights. Stretching themselves too thin

6. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

source?

im in that demographic and I stream everything. As do many people I know.

The 40-somethings were teenagers in he 80's and early 90's, they were at the very dawn of the technology burst.. We were on the whole the first generation to have their own personal computers

this piece from Time in 2015 states that that on average tv viewership is down 4%, but amongst the 18-34 age bracket it had reduced by double that.

http://time.com/3713134/millennials-tv-cord-cutting-cable/

that 18-34 age bracket would now be 23-39

so the highest bracket of people leaving behind traditional media is in fact, slap bang on UFC's demographic

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  7. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

so you are a UFC fan that is willing to pay $60 for a ppv, but you arent going to use the ESPN+ service to watch countless fight cards, prelims, contender series, etc etc as well as all the World Series of Fighting cards?

You sound like a casual

8. MMAViewer

MMAViewer Black Belt

Yup! 100% <PlusJuan>

In a time when the UFC is on a downward trend this is the absolute worst TV deal they could have done. If conr gets hit for rape and Jones pops hot again bellator will get more viewers then the UFC.
    Their matchmaking, interim bs, and wmma added with this streaming shit is going to drown them!
    Bader, Chandler, pitbull, McDonald, Lima, benson, moose, Davis, gracie, korshekov are assets lost and mistakes. Fuck the UFC <DisgustingHHH>

KeepItRealist and FKA like this.
  9. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

upload_2019-5-16_0-26-52.png

upload_2019-5-16_0-27-5.png

upload_2019-5-16_0-27-25.png

10. FKA

FKA AZ Hotshots/OAK Raiders/That Bellator guy

You don't need ESPN + to watch PFL which is on ESPN2

Like already mentioned quite a few types of smart TVs aren't compatible and non smart TVs arent compatible either.Not everyone wants to change the way they watch TV just for 1 sport ESPN.

Literally everyone I know stopped doing fight nights partys after the ESPN + deal.They have lost alot of viewers and its showing up in the numbers now.

TidWell likes this.
  11. FKA

I dunno how applicable numbers from 2017 are but I haven't thought of cutting the chord and I literally dont know anyone else who has.

Everyone I know family friends lol all have traditional cable/satellite packages and as I mentioned before ppl I've known including myself have bought the majority if all ppvs up until this ESPN + thing have not thought about picking up ESPN+.

I'm sure alot of ppl stream shit but there are ALOT of people who are completely comfortable with paying for satellite.

12. GSP_37

GSP_37 Steel Belt

I thought I saw either part of a PFL card or all of it was on ESPN+ live.

13. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Silver Belt

Didn't Dana say they had an offer for $5B from a Chinese company for the UFC that they turned down for WME? Probably exaggerating, but there were definitely other bidders around the same number.

If this ESPN deal doesn't go as planned or WME just feels like they could make more by selling, look for some Asian consortium to get conned.

14. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Yep, big win in the short-term, but if the declining viewership continues it's a big loss for the long-term. You can't build up the next generation of stars if viewership numbers are falling off a cliff.

At the end of the day, I honestly think both sides are coming out a loser in this deal right now. ESPN sold the UFC on the legitimacy of being under the ESPN umbrella and the UFC sold ESPN on having this exclusivity agreement being a great way of jumpstarting their ESPN+ platform. Neither side is getting what they wanted out of this deal as of right now IMO. The UFC is winning financially in the short-term, but I do wonder about the long-term impact of the sport as a whole, especially with Bellator going with a similar approach with DAZN. There is getting to be very little accessibility to high level MMA for the casual viewer. You have to go in search of it and be willing to fork out $$$ to get it and I'm afraid that there's just not enough interest out there to sustain those types of models.

Ryan G and FKA like this.
  15. FKA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...mographics-ratings-advertisers-fox-sports-mma

I messed up earlier the average age of the UFC fan in 2017 was 49......

So in 2019 that'd be adjusted to 50yrs old +

Like I said a large portion of the UFCs previous audience isnt going to be converting to streaming right away if ever.

16. FKA

There are prelims and a few fights that start on ESPN+ but the entire main card is on ESPN2.

Pfl and WSOF always had fights starts on Facebook live or YouTube early that most never watched either so it's no real difference for the majority of viewers.(all 20 of us lol)

17. Marc A

Marc A Being broke is being dishonest Yellow Card

don't know how ESPN going justify that for much longer
    they are not in it to hand out welfare

GSP_37 likes this.
  18. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

its simulcast, ESPN+ and ESPN2

So people without cable/espn will still get it on espn+

19. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

So you arent watching this weekends card?

You didnt watch the Cerrone v Iaquinta card? You didnt watch UFC Fort Lauderdale? Or UFC Moscow? Or Thompson v Pettis? Or UFC London? Lewis v Dos Santos? UFC Prague? You didnt watch Dillashaw v Cejudo? (All those cards were ESPN+ exclusive)

So basically all you have watched this year is

UFC 236 and 237 Prelims

and

Barbosa v Gaethje and Ngannou v Cain

2 cards in 5 months...

Honestly, you dont sound like much of a UFC fan

20. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

well no, because you are presuming that no younger people will get interested in UFC and that its audience is totally static.

besides, as i already posted, huge numbers of over 50's have streaming services

Do you think over 50's are fucking infirm, or retarded or something? My mother is well over that, has both netflix and amazon, my grandparents had netflix and used the various catchup tv streaming services, and even amongst over 50's they are ditching cable in record numbers.