UFC 237 Prelims ratings hit new low on ESPN

Well what do you want me to do aboud it! I only have one television!

Here’s the ESPN PPV “Prelims” breakdown to date:

UFC 234 “Adesanya vs. Silva”: 1.33 million
UFC 235 “Jones vs. Smith”: 1.48 million
UFC 236 “Poirier vs. Holloway 2”: 893,000
UFC 237 “Namajunas vs. Andrade”: 813,000

This trend does not bode well for the UFC 238 PPV “Prelims”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

That's what happens when you cast aside the casual audience.....

If less people are even able to buy a ppv then of course the numbers will be dropping.

Prelims dropping are no surprise as the rumored ppv buy rates have been terrible.

That’s a lot of viewers for prelims tho

Prelims on fox were always above a million some did 2 million viewers.

Numbers aren't bad but in comparison to what they have been and should be these numbers are not great .

237 was some next level bullshit from prelims to end of the card

I love all the "legends" getting starched. Time to pass the torch and no better place then to watch Brazil burn. Combined with a WMMA champ getting crowned that will be starched soon, very soon.

Prelims on fox were always above a million some did 2 million viewers.

Numbers aren't bad but in comparison to what they have been and should be these numbers are not great .

Ahhh got it

They neeed to get rid of the restriction that you must subscribe to espn plus in order to buy ppv, thats hurting thier buy rate

Maybe, but it's absolutely terrible for the long term. This is pretty much how boxing lost popularity, by making it ridiculously difficult to follow for a casual fan.

but they havnt made it ridiculously difficult to follow.

literally everything is on the ESPN platform

whereas before it was split between PPV, Fox and Fightpass.

Its actually easier

They neeed to get rid of the restriction that you must subscribe to espn plus in order to buy ppv, thats hurting thier buy rate

you have to subscribe to something to get ppv's, what does it matter what it is

you always needed either a cable subscription, or a youtube account, or an amazon account, etc etc

So people will pay $60+ to watch an event but cant cope with a one time 2 minute account signup..?

you always needed either a cable subscription, or a youtube account, or an amazon account, etc etc

So people will pay $60+ to watch an event but cant cope with a one time 2 minute account signup..?
Horrible comparison

You never needed to sign up for hbo to order an hbo ppv.

Also the ppv buys are declining since they forced people to sign up for an extra service they dont want, most people have no clue and jusr want to watch the ppv

Horrible comparison

You never needed to sign up for hbo to order an hbo ppv.

So you ordered it without any sort of account, no cable account, no hbo account, nothing, you were just able to magically order it?

Last edited:

Virtually everyone has a Cable subscription, and not everyone wants to watch a PPV on a stream device from their laptops, especially one that might crash at any given moment

Virtually everyone has a Cable subscription,

that is changing, rapidly. I dont have subscription TV account, lots of people dont have cable

and not everyone wants to watch a PPV on a stream device from their laptops, especially one that might crash at any given moment

why would you need to watch it from your laptop?

have you not heard of smart tv's? fire tv? roku? chromecast?

but they havnt made it ridiculously difficult to follow.

literally everything is on the ESPN platform

whereas before it was split between PPV, Fox and Fightpass.

Its actually easier

You have to remember the UFCs demographic has changed to the majority being late 40 early 50s and this demographic is much less likely to stream anything.

The majority of people still have regular cable which you pay to watch ALL channels not just ESPN and the ppv ordering process is easy and available on any TV with cable plugins unlike this ESPN + which isnt compatible with quite a few brands of TVs and any TV that's not a smart TV is exempt out the gates.

It was FAR easier for casuals to watch on fox,fs1,fs2 then buy the ppv easily by phone.

Reality is thru severely limited their audience in this move which has been proven in the rumored low ppv buy rates and dropping TV viewership.

Last edited:

Subscribing to a service isnt the same as paying your cable bill.....you get literally hundreds of channels not just ESPN.

Not just the 5 dollar fee to subscribe it's the fact many viewers dont want to stream anythjnh in the first place.

I'd be more interested if cowboy vs Tony were 5 rounds. Really, how the fuck is this not a 5 round fight.
Girls find a way to fuck up everything I'll n mma

So you ordered it without any sort of account, no cable account, no hbo account, nothing, you were just able to magically order it?
again horrible comparison

of course you need cable to order ppv or satellite, the thing is people HATE having to sign up and pay for shit they aint really goin to use

majority of people dont like stuff like that

and no need getting mad its like you have stake in this or something, listen to the people if you want to run business dont force shit they dont want, I look at things from a consumer stand point if you want to make money dont force them to sign up for shit they dont want people hate that tactic.

in the end that cost them several million in ppv revenue because people had trouble ordering having no idea they needed to sign up for that streaming service first.

most people wanted to order the UFC but couldn't, people were complaining saying how the hell can I order the fight then last minute they were told you have to sign up for the espn plus service to order ufc ppvs now
and like I said when I didnt hae HBO or Showtime I was still able to order the PPV fights they never said in order for your to watch hbo boxing ppv you must subscribe and pay for the premium channel, because HBO knew that they wold make more money for their boxing ppv that way by letting anyone order paying 75 bucks for a ppv it adds up.

Subscribing to a service isnt the same as paying your cable bill.....you get literally hundreds of channels not just ESPN.

Not just the 5 dollar fee to subscribe it's the fact many viewers dont want to stream anythjnh in the first place.
most people today stream some of their entertainment, and alot stream most of their entertainment. on their flat screen tv. or laptop. or tablet.

again horrible comparison

of course you need cable to order ppv or satellite, the thing is people HATE having to sign up and pay for shit they aint really goin to use

majority of people dont like stuff like that

and no need getting mad its like you have stake in this or something, listen to the people if you want to run business dont force shit they dont want, I look at things from a consumer stand point if you want to make money dont force them to sign up for shit they dont want people hate that tactic.

in the end that cost them several million in ppv revenue because people had trouble ordering having no idea they needed to sign up for that streaming service first.

most people wanted to order the UFC but couldn't, people were complaining saying how the hell can I order the fight then last minute they were told you have to sign up for the espn plus service to order ufc ppvs now
and like I said when I didnt hae HBO or Showtime I was still able to order the PPV fights they never said in order for your to watch hbo boxing ppv you must subscribe and pay for the premium channel, because HBO knew that they wold make more money for their boxing ppv that way by letting anyone order paying 75 bucks for a ppv it adds up.
maybe the subscriptions are more important than the buys.

Back