UFC 237 Namajunas vs Andrade

Well regardless of what anyone says in here, I watched tape and this was the fight I expected to see from Volk and I assumed with everything he offered he would leave Aldo with few opportunities.

Was it? Most people'd have said Volk KO pre-fight since they'd assume Aldo would throw actual output and Volk's path to victory would be storming him to deplete that cardio with Aldo getting the early close rounds due to Brazil. Instead of Aldo just not getting off the bus.
I don't see how likely Volk ko would have been. Volk wasn't going to one-shot an over anxious Aldo the way Conor managed to do. And the chances of him completely wilting and getting stopped from sheer exhaustion in a 3 rounder wasn't overly likely either. Hope that doesn't come off as smarmy, but seems pretty obvious Volk decision was the superior line if you think he was going to win based on the cirumstances and the M.O. he's shown in the past.

I don't see how likely Volk ko would have been. Volk wasn't going to one-shot an over anxious Aldo the way Conor managed to do. And the chances of him completely wilting and getting stopped from sheer exhaustion in a 3 rounder wasn't overly likely either. Hope that doesn't come off as smarmy, but seems pretty obvious Volk decision was the superior line if you think he was going to win based on the cirumstances and the M.O. he's shown in the past.
The MO he's shown in the past has been constant attack, offering massive holes for Mendes and even Elkins to counter through, and really running down his opposition. Assuming he'd just beat Aldo on the outside if Aldo felt up to throwing strikes was silly.

We all thought it would look a bit like the Mendes fight or the Stephens fight. High pressure, high output, big punches.

Volkanovski was willing to fight on the outside for a while though. He didn’t take that many risks, so the openings in close range we saw before weren’t really there. Aldo couldn’t counter well. He slipped a lot of punches and showed great defence but he didn’t show us any offence. Except for a few good jabs which caught Volkanovski’s attention. That was all.

Volkanovski wins by pressure and high volume as we all know. I don’t think anyone expected him to fight "safe" and be successful with that gameplan against an explosive Aldo. That’s why I said that no one should act like this was some crazy sharp play.

Aldo fought pretty much exactly the same way he did 3 fights in a row. He just happened to land a bomb vs Stephens and Moicano that won him the fight. This time he didn’t.

Even prime Aldo wasn’t consistently KO’ing everybody, so it was fairly predictable that Volk could have cruised to an easy win

When an underdog wins easily you can’t just say it was completely unpredictable and the fave was still the good side. There’s a reason why Volk got smashed from +159 to +114 on the close on pinny. Its bc he was a crazy sharp play

We all thought it would look a bit like the Mendes fight or the Stephens fight. High pressure, high output, big punches.

Volkanovski was willing to fight on the outside for a while though. He didn’t take that many risks, so the openings in close range we saw before weren’t really there. Aldo couldn’t counter well. He slipped a lot of punches and showed great defence but he didn’t show us any offence. Except for a few good jabs which caught Volkanovski’s attention. That was all.

Volkanovski wins by pressure and high volume as we all know. I don’t think anyone expected him to fight "safe" and be successful with that gameplan against an explosive Aldo. That’s why I said that no one should act like this was some crazy sharp play.
Man you are acting very sour here. I was preaching Volk here, and the same against Mendes. He has been a nice money maker for me. Volk was also fainting a lot and while he didn't get Aldo to bite on them early as the fight went on Aldo started to bite on them. Also Volk had good success clinching Aldo against the cage in round 2/3 and landed about 7 straight knee's to Aldo's thigh that I think had a small role in Aldo's movement as well. Aldo didn't look that great against Stephens or Moicano to me, outside of the flurries he had during both those fights that happened to end the fights both times he did. Other that the flurry during the Stephens fight or the Moicano fight he didn't do a lot. I thought Volk would have to face some adversity and weather a Aldo flurry at some point this fight but it never came and you should give some of that credit to Volk's smart game plan. Stop being sour man it's not a good look.

Aldo fought pretty much exactly the same way he did 3 fights in a row. He just happened to land a bomb vs Stephens and Moicano that won him the fight. This time he didn’t.

Even prime Aldo wasn’t consistently KO’ing everybody, so it was fairly predictable that Volk could have cruised to an easy win

When an underdog wins easily you can’t just say it was completely unpredictable and the fave was still the good side. There’s a reason why Volk got smashed from +159 to +114 on the close on pinny. Its bc he was a crazy sharp play

Ding Ding! Nail it on the head

Damn really Jordan, disagree with you big time here.
Haha, wouldn't expect you too, know we have almost polar opposite views on the guy. If he could beat either guy I'd be impressed as they're two guys who will definitely bring the fight. At least from a betting perspective though I'd be on Moicano and Stephens given they'll likely be significant underdogs.

The MO he's shown in the past has been constant attack, offering massive holes for Mendes and even Elkins to counter through, and really running down his opposition. Assuming he'd just beat Aldo on the outside if Aldo felt up to throwing strikes was silly.
I'm feeling there might be some miscommunication here? I wasn't arguing which ML was the play to make. I can see how someone couldn't predict Aldo was going to blank out, but who was saying Volk was going to fight from range? He can also bang, but Volk's way of winning is grinding people down with tenacity and physicality, clinching up with Aldo and tiring him out and winning a decision was hardly an outlier of an outcome, so I stand behind my initial point that his decision line at those odds was the best play to make if you were gonna be on him.

Last edited:
Man you are acting very sour here. I was preaching Volk here, and the same against Mendes. He has been a nice money maker for me. Volk was also fainting a lot and while he didn't get Aldo to bite on them early as the fight went on Aldo started to bite on them. Also Volk had good success clinching Aldo against the cage in round 2/3 and landed about 7 straight knee's to Aldo's thigh that I think had a small role in Aldo's movement as well. Aldo didn't look that great against Stephens or Moicano to me, outside of the flurries he had during both those fights that happened to end the fights both times he did. Other that the flurry during the Stephens fight or the Moicano fight he didn't do a lot. I thought Volk would have to face some adversity and weather a Aldo flurry at some point this fight but it never came and you should give some of that credit to Volk's smart game plan. Stop being sour man it's not a good look.

If I was sour I wouldn’t say congrats multiple times.

Volkanovski‘s faints weren’t the reason Aldo literally didn’t do anything and discrediting his last 2 wins now is too easy. Even while moving forward Aldo didn’t throw anything and it wasn’t because of the faints lol. Aldo looked horrible especially in the clinch. He was not even trying hard to get out of that position. The man raised his hands after 3 rounds of inactivity ffs. Something was off big time no matter how much you try to portray this as a masterful Volkanovski performance. A few guys in the top 10 would have beaten this Aldo. When I saw him walk out, I was already expecting a bad performance. He just looked bad.

The line movement was also heavily influenced by all the injury talk before. Anyway congrats again. I disagree that Volkanovski put on some incredible performance. It was solid and enough to win a decision against an inactive fighter.

Back