UFC 234 Early PPV Estimate

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meltzer:
UFC 234, the show headlined by Anderson Silva vs. Israel Adesanya after the Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum main event fell through, on 2/9 from Melbourne, Australia, is currently estimated at doing 175,000 buys on PPV.

I know some will spin it as decent since the main dropped out, but any PPV under 200k is a weak showing.

Plus this was the first PPV that ESPN promoted

That's not bad tbh: main got cancelled, Adesanya is not really known to casual fans as he is in UFC just for 1 year, plus card had no names in it except main. I remeber worst results for more stacked cards without all these problems.

I know some will spin it as decent since the main dropped out, but any PPV under 200k is a weak showing.

Plus this was the first PPV that ESPN promoted

It is decent for being the weakest ppv card of all time

maybe most people bought the ppv before the main event got cancelled.

Huge numbers for UFC.

No matter how you cut it, WME did not hit their forecasted numbers for this event. And that makes investors angry. Shit happens, but business is business.

No matter how you cut it, WME did not hit their forecasted numbers for this event. And that makes investors angry. Shit happens, but business is business.

Investors look at the year end totals.
They don't live & die by each PPV
They are worth tens of billions and don't stress on each PPV

it was a pretty weak card and main event got canceled. not really surprising to be honest.

Investors look at the year end totals.
They don't live & die by each PPV
They are worth tens of billions and don't stress on each PPV

I seriously doubt that. Any company worth their salt is doing a trending analysis and profitability report by each month and/or quarter for their BOD. It allows them to make marketing movements throughout the year based upon how the data reads for each event. If you don't move the needle, marketing will not push you as hard. Popularity is based upon rise over run. You can't do that on an annual basis. And if they are, that is a massive oversight.

I seriously doubt that. Any company worth their salt is doing a trending analysis and profitability report by each month and/or quarter for their BOD. It allows them to make marketing movements throughout the year based upon how the data reads for each event. If you don't move the needle, marketing will not push you as hard. Popularity is based upon rise over run. You can't do that on an annual basis. And if they are, that is a massive oversight.

You can't judge an MMA company quarterly due to the infrequency of top fighters fighting
The investors do not know or follow MMA
They pay WME ($25m+ per) & Dana (9% of profits) to do that
Data from Q1 has zero to do with potential data from Q4
Also PPV is nowhere near the primary source of revenue & is considered the icing on the cake
Without a single PPV sold, UFC is about a $300m profit company in 2019
UFC's revenue is largely fixed contractual.

You can't judge an MMA company quarterly due to the infrequency of top fighters fighting
The investors do not know or follow MMA
They pay WME ($25m+ per) & Dana (9% of profits) to do that
Data from Q1 has zero to do with potential data from Q4
Also PPV is nowhere near the primary source of revenue & is considered the icing on the cake
Without a single PPV sold, UFC is about a $300m profit company in 2019
UFC's revenue is largely fixed contractual.

"The investors do not know or follow MMA" Precisely. And they don't care. Investors invest for profit. And they want their investment paid back quickly and frequently.

Not sure what you do for work, but every organization North of $1B (regardless of industry) is tracking every revenue stream for every month for every "Producer." Marketing efforts are based off of this data. They have to know who to push. PPV may be an ancillary form of revenue for them, but it's the main medium of how the general public views their product.

Not sure what you do for work, but every organization North of $1B (regardless of industry) is tracking every revenue stream for every month for every "Producer." Marketing efforts are based off of this data. They have to know who to push. PPV may be an ancillary form of revenue for them, but it's the main medium of how the general public views their product.

You moved the goalpost
I never said UFC doesn't track numbers

I said they don't live & die by each PPV because it is the truth

You cannot treat MMA or Boxing the same as any other business. It would be asinine to compare them.

As far as myself?
I been paid to cover MMA financials in the past & now do it for fun
https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...ellator-looking-back-at-2018-forward-to-2019/

Back