UFC 230 Main Event?

ImCertainOfCirkunov

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been going through this in my head and really see only 4 potential options with regards to headlining the MSG card.

1. Cormier vs Gus @ lhw - DC said he would defend both belts and with Volkan and Smith booked to fight the week prior, no other lhw really has any claim to a title shot. Not sure on Gus's injury status though.

2. TJ vs Cejudo/Moreas/Cruz - Any option is a lower profile fight than option 1, but TJ did just sell 300k ppvs and a "super fight" vs Cejudo or a Cruz rematch could sell as well. Moraes deserves a shot but he is still virtually unknown in the mainstream. Can't see a guy like him as a co headliner at MSG, but I could be wrong.

3. Rose vs Someone (Andrade?) - I'd be shocked to see it, but she is the only other champ available to fight (aside from the ones named above). I would not like or support this decision.

4. Crazy shenanigans insue and somehow Jon Jones is cleared by USADA with time served and fights Gus for a Interim lhw strap. I would be shocked, no floored if this happens but some seem to think there is a chance (to be clear, I don't).

Any options I'm overlooking??

Stipe vs Cain

Interesting. I'd be down for it. I have doubts about Cain's health though. Are they really going to chance having him headline their 2nd biggest show of the year?

Also, it would be strange for this massive card to not have a title fight. UFC always has at least one title on the line in a PPV. There has been 2(?) exceptions, but don't think an MSG card will be another.

've been going through this in my head and really see only 4 potential options with regards to headlining the MSG card.

1. Cormier vs Gus @ lhw - DC said he would defend both belts and with Volkan and Smith booked to fight the week prior, no other lhw really has any claim to a title shot. Not sure on Gus's injury status though.

2. TJ vs Cejudo/Moreas/Cruz - Any option is a lower profile fight than option 1, but TJ did just sell 300k ppvs and a "super fight" vs Cejudo or a Cruz rematch could sell as well. Moraes deserves a shot but he is still virtually unknown in the mainstream. Can't see a guy like him as a co headliner at MSG, but I could be wrong.

3. Rose vs Someone (Andrade?) - I'd be shocked to see it, but she is the only other champ available to fight (aside from the ones named above). I would not like or support this decision.

4. Crazy shenanigans insue and somehow Jon Jones is cleared by USADA with time served and fights Gus for a Interim lhw strap. I would be shocked, no floored if this happens but some seem to think there is a chance (to be clear, I don't).

1. Cormier injured, Gus also
2. Too early for TJ and Cejudo (medical suspesnion, no time for camp)
3. Not likely, Andrade/Kowalkiewicz won't be ready, because possible medical suspensions and lack of time to prepare (less than 2 months)
4. Not likely

I've been going through this in my head and really see only 4 potential options with regards to headlining the MSG card.

Any options I'm overlooking??

my if it not tj vs henry than it would be tj vs who ever.
rose I say no cause ufc 228 and ufc 230 are really close.
dc said he has a broken hand and if I was dc I only worry about the retirement fight
no to the stupid ideas about jones vs silva.
also any idea of Anderson is also no cause he suspended until dec.

Hmmmm. Well you all make good arguments, not sure what it's going to be. GSP v Silva?

I thought they'd save GSP for the Toronto card but they just annouced Max as headliner. So...maybe?

Edit: just read the above, Spider a no go. Fuck I'm stumped then.

for fuck's sake. How someone can see TJ or Rose in main event MSG? If Cyborg vs Nunez is in Vegas then we know that only three people can headline the msg show Nick, Bones or GSP. I Bet that's Bones

Last edited:
At this point it almost has to be Jones and someone. I hope not cause he deserves a four year suspension but we know theres gonna be a big fight to headline MSG and there are no other options I wonder why Khabib-Conor didnt headline it.

The only fight I can see them throwing together that is MSG-worthy at this point is Jones vs Gus II, assuming Bones can be cleared in time. A rerun of arguably the greatest MMA fight of all time (debatable I know, but it is in the conversation) would be awesome.

But remember that even after the USADA case is settled, Jones still has to go to a CSAC meeting to apply for his license back. That should only be a formality, but the meetings take place one a month or so, and so this could go slow things down as well. The UFC would be very wary of advertising a fight before Jones has got his license back. I don't think they would do it. Commissions and venues alike might not be too happy about that. So it could be October before they can even announce the main event. Doing a proper promotional blitz in a matter of weeks will be impossible.

The bottom line is that getting Jones on that card will be tight. Personally, I think he should be suspended for another twelve months anyway. Two years is the standard for a second offence, and should be levied here. If it isn't, USADA will have no legitimacy whatsoever.

The UFC's third annual trip to MSG is not going to be comparable to the first two. Sad to say.

Jones vs Cain Velasquez at hw. easy to promote and could be a good set up for future trilogy/Cormier's retirement fight.
also UFC can try to convince GSP to fight someone like Colby Covington.

TJ just did 300k maybe him vs Cruz in the co-main and bump Nate/Poirier to the main event.

Diaz vs Poirier
TJ vs Cruz 2
Rockhold vs Weidman
Jacare vs Branch
Adesanya vs Brunson

Not the best card ever, but still pretty damn great.

If Jones comes back, rematch vs Gust makes sense. Or his HW debut vs Cain or Stipe.

Nick Diaz vs Colby would be fun.

Till/Woodley winner vs Colby depending on how 228 plays out is another option.

Back