UFC 229 was much more important than people realize

• Thread starter Deleted member 474013
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 474013

In my opinion, it was the turning point to the Conor in the UFC and the whole fighting business overall. Sure, you may also say this about Mayweather fight. But I think if Conor would have won that fight, he would be pulling UFC and Dana with all kind of tricks. And SURE we would not see him retiring. Now, this is a different story. We j witnessed history at UFC 229, my friends. The fight no matter how hard UFC would want to make again will never happen.

Some pics to remember:

40_main_new.1538824756.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

conor-mcgregor-khabib-nurmagomedov-dana-white-ufc.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F1046897754%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

ufc-229-mixed-martial-arts-las-vegas-usa-shutterstock-editorial-9916593at.jpg

Doubtful. If Conor wins, he still only fights every year or 2, and only if he feels like it and gets paid enough.

He's just a guy. A very good fighter, and fun to watch. And for those that love out-of-ring drama, he's great with that stuff too. But he is not bigger than the sport. Quite pretending he is.

100% agree it was important.
It was the BIGGEST fight in UFC history.
It featured the biggest star in the UFC's return, against an unbeaten terrifying LW champion
They had a history of beef (calling eachother out, bus incident etc)
It was also the moment Conor's stock took a massive hit.
The Floyd loss was not that bad, he did good for a boxing debut against the greatest defensive boxer ever.
But his performance against Khabib really hurt his legacy and brand. He was brutally destroyed and it possibly traumatized him so much he retired (possibly).
It also made Khabib into a superstar

Then there were also other crazy fights on the card too

Win or Lose.. Conor should stay out of the fighting game, he isn't a fighter.. Once he hit the big leagues, he was taking one fight in every 3 years it seemed like.. And he isn't even a quarter of a fighter GSP is.

It meant the end of that annoying "GOAT" nonsense his trolls were on about.

C1bfK5yUUAAUOMY.jpg

McGregor would NEVER have defended the belt if he had won. We all know that. He would wait for a year or two for Dana to take it. Then he’d sign for a TS against the new champion.

I like the gif where Conor taps and some fat guy in the crowd jumps up yelling "WHAT?!" like he didn't know all of Conor's losses are via submission

I like the gif where Conor taps and some fat guy in the crowd jumps up yelling "WHAT?!" like he didn't know all of Conor's losses are via submission

Would have been hilarious if Khabib had laid him out with that punch.

Seriously,,,..
Does anybody remember the fights outside of main and co main?

I watched everything but Khabib with the post fight celebration on conrs corner took everything away from all the others.
Reyes was angry at Khabib because everybody forgot about his performance. Hahaa

He is "pulling all kind of tricks" tho

Nothing changes for Conor if he wins
Conor would think he's getting lowballed
UFC would think he's asking for too much

They are pretty much in the same situation as after UFC 205, a fight in which Conor flawlessly took his opponent apart
Conor won a fight
Conor lost a fight
Conor demanded a piece of the company in both situations
The UFC refused his demand in both situation

They'll come to a compromise just like the last time he fake retired on twitter

Last edited:
100% agree it was important.
It was the BIGGEST fight in UFC history.
It featured the biggest star in the UFC's return, against an unbeaten terrifying LW champion
They had a history of beef (calling eachother out, bus incident etc)
It was also the moment Conor's stock took a massive hit.
The Floyd loss was not that bad, he did good for a boxing debut against the greatest defensive boxer ever.
But his performance against Khabib really hurt his legacy and brand. He was brutally destroyed and it possibly traumatized him so much he retired (possibly).
It also made Khabib into a superstar

Then there were also other crazy fights on the card too

It was only a big deal to those that believed the Con hype.
Actualy it was also a big deal to those that couldn't wait for the hype to finally end, so you have a point.

Marvin Eastman did that after Vitor opened a vagina on his head. He was still on the ground and heard "AND THE WINNER IS....VITOR....BELFORT!" and he sat up and said "what?" as if he had just woken up and found out he didn't win.

UFC43Event067.jpg

Win or Lose.. Conor should stay out of the fighting game, he isn't a fighter.. Once he hit the big leagues, he was taking one fight in every 3 years it seemed like.. And he isn't even a quarter of a fighter GSP is.
He was in a position to prove haters wrong. It was his chance. Like it or not, it will be so much harder for him to come back there he was before Khabib fight. Fact. UFC are not that stupid to give Conor gifts there he doesn't deserve it.

Conor would of fought by now if he won
Sherdog would have a meltdown
Conor knows he wouldn’t have been able to hold it up longer, he fights Ferguson or Diaz if he beat Dustin
Or he retires on the spot
That one fight didn’t change mucy

No, it wasn't.

The most important fight was the Mayweather fight but not for the reasons you'd think I think.

Conor McGregor has always, always been about money. He said it. He explicitly stated it from the very beginning. He said "I'm in to get money, and then I'm out." He was hungry, always hungry, until after the Mayweather fight, because he got $100,000,000.00. The money was his motivation. He got the money. No more motivation.

His fight against Eddie was his best fight, and one of the only fights in UFC history I'd say is close to being a perfect fight. He was focused and obsessed. He'd wake up in the middle of the night and start training.

I don't know if it's happy or sad. But it's definitely a reality. When you get the thing you've been hunting for, you don't hunt anymore.

No, it wasn't.

The most important fight was the Mayweather fight but not for the reasons you'd think I think.

Conor McGregor has always, always been about money. He said it. He explicitly stated it from the very beginning. He said "I'm in to get money, and then I'm out." He was hungry, always hungry, until after the Mayweather fight, because he got $100,000,000.00. The money was his motivation. He got the money. No more motivation.

His fight against Eddie was his best fight, and one of the only fights in UFC history I'd say is close to being a perfect fight. He was focused and obsessed. He'd wake up in the middle of the night and start training.

I don't know if it's happy or sad. But it's definitely a reality. When you get the thing you've been hunting for, you don't hunt anymore.
I think you make a disservice to a fighting game by putting everything on the "motivation" card. Everybody knows that for one person it was far beyond money (Khabib). The guy still lives with his parents if someone doesn't know. It was the ultimate clash of styles and overall different worlds. And I believe if there was no judge this could be easily a fight to the death. And if Conor didn't see that, or if it was not enough motivation for him to train like obsessed, then he's just simply not that smart.

Back