UFC 229 looking terrible besides main event

People in this thread saying the card is good...what the fuck

The card sucks and the reason is because Conor has a new demand, he doesn’t want other fighters making PPV points off his name, which is smart.

I keep hearing that its smart but I don't understand why.

You don't share PPV points (unless something changed) you just get a $amount per buy in certain ranges.

So not having other big names on the card loses him money.

I woke up today thinking in Michelle Waterson. We all know how that ended.

I hear what you are saying, TS.
Card is not bade, but it is far from usual Conor (MSG) type of card.
But I think it was done on purpose.

They always stacked COnor card, because it made the card even bigger, and Conor shine brighter (see how popular he is? beating records and all).
But after two years out, I think they reached a point where COnor can sustain a card alone, and this is the focus. They are testing how much exactly Conor can bring on his own.

Much like they did to Ronda, for instance (For a long time, she would co-main event) until a day she got her own shitty card.

Yeah, this card kind of sucks! My brief analysis on the fights to keep or not to keep an eye on:

1. The Pettis-Formiga fight sucks! Sergio wouldnt be able to finish a race being one step away from the finish line! Yeah, it is that boring all of the time!

2. Sugar O'Malley on the other hand, fascinating fighter! He will put a show no matter what!

3. The main event will have everyone up their seats since the walk out songs!

4. I think the black beast will come to kill after the Ngannou fight! He has much to prove!

5. And how about the chicks fight!!!? They are H-O-T mamas!!! haha <NewGina>

The card isn't terrible, it's just not great but whatever.

I think Volkov v Lewis will be a snoozer, then Dana will trash them....despite him allowing it to be co main...

Tough card to promote when the odds are Khabib won't show.

This is the WME Era, holmes, not the Uncle Frank Era. Conor cards were stacked so the UFC could pull off the con of the century, so the sport could artificially grow for a short time and then they could sell an inflated priced object. Now, we just get one or two name fighters on a card and the rest are wmma, TUF bums or Dana White Contender Series hobos that he wheels in off the streets and recreates a version of Bum Fights.

I think Volkov v Lewis will be a snoozer, then Dana will trash them....despite him allowing it to be co main...
It won't be a complete snoozer. If we take only Volkov's UFC fights into account, one can say that he starts very slow and looks like complete dogshit in the early rounds more often than not, but he usually steps up the pace in the later rounds and the punches and kicks he lands are brutal. Biggest problem with Volkov, IMO, is that his fighting style looks very awkward, but he's a pretty technical fighter once you get to the bottom of his performance.

First off it's kind of weird that they don't seem to be promoting this fight at all... Also Conor seems unusually quiet.

The card so far...

Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov(c) vs. Conor McGregor [a]
Heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
Flyweight Sergio Pettis vs. Jussier Formiga
Light Heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
Welterweight Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin
Women's Bantamweight Lina Länsberg vs. Yana Kunitskaya
Women's Strawweight Michelle Waterson vs. Felice Herrig
Bantamweight Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez

Mcgregor cards are usually stacked, there's a few other bouts that have been announced as well and they're garbage. Only room for a couple more fights on the card and the main event is the only big fight. Looks like Rousey fight card quality.

Derrick Lewis vs Drago is also an amazing fight. Looking forward to that one as well.

Karate Hottie vs Felice is also on my radar :D

The rest is weak, I agree :/

I keep hearing that its smart but I don't understand why.

So not having other big names on the card loses him money.

Its not smart but its just say a big fuck you to the others who cant sell PPV and need his name to do it.

Its not smart but its just say a big fuck you to the others who cant sell PPV and need his name to do it.

Gotta presume he has the best deal of any of them.

It's certainly a big fuck to give up $100 so someone else doesn't get $50.

I'm thinking there is more to it

It won't be a complete snoozer. If we take only Volkov's UFC fights into account, one can say that he starts very slow and looks like complete dogshit in the early rounds more often than not, but he usually steps up the pace in the later rounds and the punches and kicks he lands are brutal. Biggest problem with Volkov, IMO, is that his fighting style looks very awkward, but he's a pretty technical fighter once you get to the bottom of his performance.
Fair enough. I am trying to stop being so negative

i'm rly surprised they didnt co-main sean o malley on this. dude has all the potential to take mcg's (and diaz' potheads) following after he retires due to his loss to khabib. why would they not give him more exposure

What. Neither O'Malley or his opponent is ranked. They don't even deserve to be on the main card over any of the other announced fighters. But just for shits and giggles, lets take their popularity into account and look at the card. Because we know popularity/marketability is what WME loves.

Here is the main card as I see it so far. I'm mixing popularity and ranking but giving more weight to popularity.

1. Main: Champ Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov(c) vs. #1 Conor McGregor [a]
(no explanation needed, hugely popular, ranked at the top of the division)

2. Co-Main: #2 Heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. #5 Alexander Volkov
(Derrick is hugely popular and has more of a following than O'Malley on social media, on top of being, you know, ranked at the top of his division. This is a no-brainer for the co-main and it's set in stone)

3. Women's Strawweight #7 Michelle Waterson vs. 8 Felice Herrig
(Ranking-wise Pettis and Formiga should be ahead of them, but popularity wise, these ladies dwarf everyone else on the card except the main event. O'Malley isn't even close. Look at the Instagram #'s. Also, Michelle is a WME client and gets treated as such)

4. Flyweight #2 Sergio Pettis vs. #5 Jussier Formiga
(If we were just going by rankings, these guys should easily be in the #3 spot, but only Sergio has any kind of name and it's not that big considering how long he's been fighting. The dude is kinda bland. I could see this getting bumped to the prelims to make room for O'Malley. Which would suck, but WME)

5. Light Heavyweight #7 Ovince Saint Preux vs. #12 Dominick Reyes
(These guys have very little hype or following online. Rankings wise, they should be on the main card, but I can totally see them being bumped for O'Malley)

So, in summary, judging mostly on popularity, I think O'Malley has an outside chance to get on the main card, but no chance in hell of getting the #3 fight spot over someone like Michelle Waterson. Never mind co-main over Derrick Lewis. LOL.

The only thing worse than complaining about the lineup of a card that's not finalized is complaining about the lineup of a card you're going to stream anyway.

What. Neither O'Malley or his opponent is ranked. They don't even deserve to be on the main card over any of the other announced fighters. But just for shits and giggles, lets take their popularity into account and look at the card. Because we know popularity/marketability is what WME loves.

Here is the main card as I see it so far. I'm mixing popularity and ranking but giving more weight to popularity.

1. Main: Champ Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov(c) vs. #1 Conor McGregor [a]
(no explanation needed, hugely popular, ranked at the top of the division)

2. Co-Main: #2 Heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. #5 Alexander Volkov
(Derrick is hugely popular and has more of a following than O'Malley on social media, on top of being, you know, ranked at the top of his division. This is a no-brainer for the co-main and it's set in stone)

3. Women's Strawweight #7 Michelle Waterson vs. 8 Felice Herrig
(Ranking-wise Pettis and Formiga should be ahead of them, but popularity wise, these ladies dwarf everyone else on the card except the main event. O'Malley isn't even close. Look at the Instagram #'s. Also, Michelle is a WME client and gets treated as such)

4. Flyweight #2 Sergio Pettis vs. #5 Jussier Formiga
(If we were just going by rankings, these guys should easily be in the #3 spot, but only Sergio has any kind of name and it's not that big considering how long he's been fighting. The dude is kinda bland. I could see this getting bumped to the prelims to make room for O'Malley. Which would suck, but WME)

5. Light Heavyweight #7 Ovince Saint Preux vs. #12 Dominick Reyes
(These guys have very little hype or following online. Rankings wise, they should be on the main card, but I can totally see them being bumped for O'Malley)

So, in summary, judging mostly on popularity, I think O'Malley has an outside chance to get on the main card, but no chance in hell of getting the #3 fight spot over someone like Michelle Waterson. Never mind co-main over Derrick Lewis. LOL.
I thought O’Malley has already confirmed he is the opening fight on the ppv. He wanted to be the prelim closer but ufc said no.

Back