UFC 229 is Not Looking Good

Lafare, Martin, Formiga, and Reyes are all really interesting. Karate Hottie's butt will be worth the show. I'm not sold on the Landsberg fight... but she deserves another shot after stepping up to fight Cyborg. She'll need to win impressively to redeem her career, though.
Not sure why u quoted me here, I was clearly joking how conor sells this and the fight don't matter.
But what do mean by Landsberg she had 3 fights since Cyborg two boring jobs of out pointing girls out of the top 10 and getting ko by Ladd, you should be hoping Yana hits a slick sub to help revamp BW.
ALSO people under selling Lewis v Volkov, Volkov was fun vs Werdum and Lewis has delivered every fight but vs Frightful Francis.

Not sure why u quoted me here, I was clearly joking how conor sells this and the fight don't matter.
But what do mean by Landsberg she had 3 fights since Cyborg two boring jobs of out pointing girls out of the top 10 and getting ko by Ladd, you should be hoping Yana hits a slick sub to help revamp BW.
ALSO people under selling Lewis v Volkov, Volkov was fun vs Werdum and Lewis has delivered every fight but vs Frightful Francis.

For some reason I always feel like Lansberg has more potential than* she's showed, but she constantly disappoints me. I know nothing about Yana, so maybe you're right.

And you're right, Volkov is potentially the future best HW. If Derrick Lewis hasn't improved his diet and fitness, Volkov is going to starch him. However, Volkov will need to respect the power of Lewis early in the fight.

700k to 950k buys.

I think more like 1.1-1.2 million, but I agree with your ballpark. The UFC has showed a decline in overall PPV sales. It remains to be seen how much drawing power Conor has on his own. However, I think Dana White's 2 million estimated PPV buys is way too high. We'll just have to wait another 2 months and see.

Precisely because they have Conor vs Khabib as a main event, they won't waste any other big profile fights on a card that needs nothing else to sell itself.

Didn’t Conor say awhile back that he doesn’t want any other fighter getting ppv points as long as he’s on the card?

Maybe that’s why they’re putting a card together like this. Nobody else on it, so far, can claim any rights to ppv points.

Did he really say that?

It blows 228 out of the water already and it's not even finalized.

I don't get it, why would they put together such a bad card when you have Khabib vs Conor as the main event?
You answered you're own question. They could have anyone on the undercard and it will still be their highest selling PPV since the last time Conor fought and will be until the next time he fights. To me it makes perfect sense to make it a weak undercard and save better fights for other cards where they need to make it more marketable.

They’re going to keep 229 pretty light. UFC knows that Conor can sell it himself and doesn’t require a stacked card to sell.

However, I do expect a couple decent match ups to be announced shortly

Right.

I love how people on here don't understand that logic, it could literally just be Conor on the card and the PPV numbers would be almost unchanged.

Did he really say that?
I read it in an article that was posted here I’d say about 2 or 3 months back. It was one of Conor’s “demands” if he were to return.

Swear to God dude, I can’t make this shit up.
He’s turned into a real diva.

Why pay fighters if don’t have to.

No one will order the card to see journeyman jacare lose again if they weren’t already paying to see Conor.

If don’t have to pay fighters, or give ppv points, then why do it?

Smart businessing on Dayna’s part

Boxing fans only watch main event and they will come to see Conor one more time

2 wmma fights in the main card. Are you fucking kidding me???

Who the fuck Lafair vs is that Marin guy for the co-main ???????

Hmm.. Pretty sure it says "Main Card"

As of now anyway.

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC-229

Maybe you should read before throwing out insults and looking like a dumbass.
If you have ever used the ufc site before you'd know it always says "main card" when the order is still random, and when there are like 12 fights listed.
I thought the fact that there are 6 fights would give it away.
This fuckin place...

because when you have the biggest fight, you don't need an undercard. why stack more big fights on it that could each singlehandedly headline other cards?

that card is fucked if something happens to the main event.

Opposite is true. If Conor can sell all by himself then why not spread out other potential attractions on other cards rather than try and stack them up on 1 card?

Conor sells by himself. Adding other higher profile fighters won't add buys but it does eliminate potential main eventers for other cards.
it also cost the ufc more money since they bring little value profit wise but Carry hefty price tags from a salary point of view. Conor is probably demanding crazy money too. 20 mil show plus points

Last edited:
Back