UFC 229 is Not Looking Good

Volkov vs Lewis has been added, probably at least one more big fight will materialize. It would be a serious missed opportunity to not use a card with a guaranteed million+ buys to try to promote some talent.
Opposite is true. If Conor can sell all by himself then why not spread out other potential attractions on other cards rather than try and stack them up on 1 card?

Conor sells by himself. Adding other higher profile fighters won't add buys but it does eliminate potential main eventers for other cards.

Conor has never headlined a card, without a good Co-Main Event/Card....They tend to pair him with other title fights(Except for UFC 202 but that card was still good).

maxresdefault.jpg

UFC202_McGregor_vs_Diaz-INFOGRAFIA-PPV.PNG

106398.jpg

95193.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The UFC never trusted Conor enough, to carry a whole UFC by himself........Unlike Floyd who carries shit cards.....It's all facade to make Conor look bigger than he is.

How do the PPV points work? do they give points to everyone in the main card or the fighters in the posters and promotional materials?

UQJs12z.png

I don't get it, why would they put together such a bad card when you have Khabib vs Conor as the main event?

Seriously, I expected them to put together some crazy card leading to the main event but they don't even have a decent co-main. This is disappointing.

UFC 230 is way more stacked. I mean they have the following on the main card,

Ronaldo Souza vs. David Branch
Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa
Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz
Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya
Lyman Good vs. Sultan Aliev

Why didn't they schedule some of those fights on UFC 229 instead? They are just a month apart.

What do you guys think about the card?

If you remember correctly part of conors demands back in the day was he wanted go be the only fighter with ppv shares when fighting on ppv..because he doesnt want to share with other champs ..becuase he believes hes the only one who sells...if the UFC listened to this demand..we get cards that look like this way to go conor..idiot

Didn't Conor specifically negotiate that he doesn't want to share ppv points with other fighters? Thus we won't ever get another blockbuster card with him on it ever again.

Just posted about this here too..if the UFC stupidly listened to this demand this is what we get...fucking dum

Last edited:
Because the UFC are now cheap ass short sighted jerk offs who are ruining MMA.
Trying to push cards with one exciting fight on us constantly.
Since the sale i have stopped buying more than half the cards.
UFC is dying.
No, really.

If this is the final card, then we will really know how well conor sells. He could be shooting himself in the foot for not sharing ppv points.

I get not stacking it but I figured they’d have some brawling veterans and young exciting prospects on it

Conor's Past Co-mains
Rumble v Teixeira
Tate v Holm
Woodley v Wonderboy
Rockhold v Weidman
Lawler v MacDonald

How do the PPV points work? do they give points to everyone in the main card or the fighters in the posters and promotional materials?
To my understanding if your face shows up on the promotional poster you're entitled to ppv points.

Someone like @FrankieNYC can better answer though.

Didn’t Conor say awhile back that he doesn’t want any other fighter getting ppv points as long as he’s on the card?

Maybe that’s why they’re putting a card together like this. Nobody else on it, so far, can claim any rights to ppv points.
Interesting. Didn't know about that. Greedy bastard.

Volkov vs Lewis has been added, probably at least one more big fight will materialize. It would be a serious missed opportunity to not use a card with a guaranteed million+ buys to try to promote some talent.
I agree, having Conor on the card, it would have been the perfect time to put as many rising stars as possible when you got as many eyes watching.

Because it would be a poor decision financially.

Conor's Past Co-mains
Rumble v Teixeira
Tate v Holm
Woodley v Wonderboy
Rockhold v Weidman
Lawler v MacDonald
Keep in mind these are all before MayMac and now Conor has enough money, i mean, leverage to not fight ever again giving him a much better position to negotiate from.

They should have used Brunson vs adesanya as the co main to promote Adesanya

There’s going to be a lot of eyes on this card, so they should be using the rest of the main event to promote future contenders.

Don’t be surprised if SAGE NORTHCUTT gets added to the main card, in fact you should expect it

This thread title is laughable. Who was the undercard for Mayweather v. Pacquiao? Yeah, I don't remember either.

it's funny to me that people still don't understand the PPV model.

it doesn't mean shit if the PPV sells high but they have to invest a fuckload to make it happen. conor is already really expensive, but if they only have to pay him and khabib.. why pump more money into big name fighters when those two already have most of the buys locked in? stack other cards that are in big markets to sell out the venue, not cards that are already going to sell well because of the main event.

like, it cancels out total buys every time they put more money into it. if they have to spend another $800,000 just on the purses for a better co-main event, that's done so thinking it'll net another 15,000-20,000 buys just to break even on that investment. they probably have to earn three times that amount of buys if they actually want to make a decent worthwhile profit after taxes/network cut/etc and that's not even calculating the ppv points they may acquire that they'd also have to offset in more buys to make it worthwhile.

that's not a good gamble and that's part of the reason why ppv's don't do as well these days - they've invested more capital into network deals than PPV's

To my understanding if your face shows up on the promotional poster you entitled to ppv points.

Someone like @FrankieNYC can better answer though.

Thanks @Bend NvR Break

Very few fighters get points
Champs do (or they can negotiate a higher guarantee instead) & those with bargaining power

The amount changes from deal to deal & fighter to fighter, but they are usually tiered.
So an example is $1 per from x amount to y amount, then $2 per & $3 per & $4 per the more the PPV sells.

But on fights that do 100-200k, 99.99% chance there are no points (usually starts at 250-300k in buys)

They should have used Brunson vs adesanya as the co main to promote Adesanya

There’s going to be a lot of eyes on this card, so they should be using the rest of the main event to promote future contenders.

Don’t be surprised if SAGE NORTHCUTT gets added to the main card, in fact you should expect it
This 100%

Back