PBP UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington Main Card PBP Discussion - 10 p.m. ET/7:p.m. PT/3 a.m. UK

With this logic, why don't you clear your bank account and buy lotto tickets? If you win the supermax lotto, you would praise yourself forever for making that decision. LOL

It's not that simple. The relationship between fighter and coach/corner is complicated. Often the coach will know you well enough to know when you're going to regret quitting. Yes, it really sucks to take more damage but this is a BIG fight for her and sets the arc for any career she chooses to pursue in MMA.

In this case she didn't have to "win the lottery". She just had to get to a point where she could fully say she did everything she could. Frankly, she could and did do more.

Or to put it another way, with your logic there is never any point in fighting (and risking damage).

When a fighter gets into the ring (or even the gym) they need a clear understanding that they could die in there. That is a given. If you're constantly worried about injuries, that is probably wise, but you can't become a top fighter with such concerns. You literally need to not care about superficial stuff like noses and noses, and you need to expect torn ACLS, broken hands, etc.

Yes, it is stupid. But it is also necessary.

Now it is definitely important that your corner have your best interests in mind. They need to know you really well, and you need to trust their judgement. I feel in this case they knew that she'd regret stopping it and it was a fairly standard injury.

Pennington's corner knows her best and wanted to give her a chance to be a champion. She would have regretted it if she quit. It's unfortunate that she ended up taking more damage, but there is a chance that she could have landed a big strike and won in round 5.
What fight were you watching? Pennington hasn't KOed or TKOed anybody since her first fight.

She got down, but she never got tight
She's gonna make it through the night

Some silicone sister
With a manager mister
Told me I got what it takes
She said
"I'll turn you on sonny to something strong
Play the song with the funky break"

...something....something....I’d deep throat her clit.....what?!?....something...

let's be real.

lyoto machida saved this card. and the lineker one was the real co-main.

the jacare fight was sloppy as hell. he should retire too. lost to a kevin gastelum who was easily manhandled be weidman who is no longer at the top.

It's not that simple. The relationship between fighter and coach/corner is complicated. Often the coach will know you well enough to know when you're going to regret quitting. Yes, it really sucks to take more damage but this is a BIG fight for her and sets the arc for any career she chooses to pursue in MMA.

In this case she didn't have to "win the lottery". She just had to get to a point where she could fully say she did everything she could. Frankly, she could and did do more.

Or to put it another way, with your logic there is never any point in fighting (and risking damage).

When a fighter gets into the ring (or even the gym) they need a clear understanding that they could die in there. That is a given. If you're constantly worried about injuries, that is probably wise, but you can't become a top fighter with such concerns. You literally need to not care about superficial stuff like noses and noses, and you need to expect torn ACLS, broken hands, etc.

Yes, it is stupid. But it is also necessary.

Now it is definitely important that your corner have your best interests in mind. They need to know you really well, and you need to trust their judgement. I feel in this case they knew that she'd regret stopping it and it was a fairly standard injury.
I have to agree to disagree. When you haven't fought in 18 years, you have been in a car accident, now you have a broken nose, and you know that you have nothing left in tank, you should quit. The probabilities that you take more damage are significantly greater than the probability of landing a come-back hay-maker.

If your coaches know you and love you, they should make that decision for you. And when you feel depressed and in the dumps, they should remind you of all the hard-work you did to recover from a car accident, train hard, travel to a foreign country and fight for a UFC title.

They should tell you, "there are 7 Billion people on Earth, and how many do you know who have been strong enough to take the journey you took?"

If after all this support, you don't recover psychologically, then you have bigger problems than quitting inside an Octagon. Plus, I don't think sustaining more traumatic brain impacts will benefit you 20 years down the line.

Back