UFC 220 - Miocic vs Ngannou - Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are probably too young but Ngganou gives off a Mike Tyson vibe - although Tyson moreso, he didn't have to worry about wrestling. But there has to be a little bit of fear against him like there was with Tyson. apprehension at least. Maybe not Stipe but... I mean people are going into a fight that people Cap it at 65% they will get knocked cold
Ngannou has no where near the aura of Mike Tyson. Everyone in the world knew who he was and how much of a freak KO artist, defensive mastermind he was. Fighters went in there knowing they were gonna get KO'd, it was just a matter of time. Some fighters in the UFC still believe that Ngannou is beatable.

Ngannou has no where near the aura of Mike Tyson. Everyone in the world knew who he was and how much of a freak KO artist, defensive mastermind he was. Fighters went in there knowing they were gonna get KO'd, it was just a matter of time. Some fighters in the UFC still believe that Ngannou is beatable.

I agree with all of this but there is an apprehension in my mind, Overeem fought a very defensive fight in my mind - there was really no options versus Tyson but there is vs Francis so I agree with that point.

Sadly, we never got to see how great Tyson actually was. He beat some very good guys in their prime, but never faced another truly great HW with both guys in their prime. Holmes was well past his. Spinks was a cruiserweight. He lost to Holyfield but Mike probably past his best by then.

That said, was his own fault. Going to prison will tend to sidetrack a career.

Ngannou isn't feared like that yet, I agree. He's building towards it though.

if we lose, we lose. rather go down swinging on a +230 in what i view as a close fight than get too creative and lay juice etc!
What's your fav ml play at current prices? Need some more plays. Prob join you on tibau.

Lol this is ridiculous. Dude KOs fucking AA and AO and now he’s being compared to Tyson.

You’re better than that, sherdog

Lol this is ridiculous. Dude KOs fucking AA and AO and now he’s being compared to Tyson.

Just in the apprehension in trading with him, he is beatable but there's gotta be a change in tactics vs him compared to just about anybody else. You must not be watching if you don't think that. He doesn't even have to land clean, scary.

Not just that. The scary power that had AO still out cold like 5-6 minutes later with his toes still curled. The fact he allegedly has the hardest punch ever recorded.

Way way too soon to say anyone fears him like they did Tyson. Agree that's so premature. But his power does seem to be scary. With Tyson though it was the skillset too. Holyfield was the first guy who wasn't even a little afraid of Mike. And he made Mike fight backing up, which Mike had no clue how to do.

Tyson beat some good fighters but he murdered a bunch of cans, too. Tyson was feared in his prime unlike anyone else, but Ngannou is about as scary of a hw prospect in mma as we've seen in quite awhile. I get the comparison, esp if he ends up beating down Stipe tomorrow. Tyson was much scarier but Ngannou is also very intimidating in his own right.

Not just that. The scary power that had AO still out cold like 5-6 minutes later with his toes still curled. The fact he allegedly has the hardest punch ever recorded.

Way way too soon to say anyone fears him like they did Tyson. Agree that's so premature. But his power does seem to be scary. With Tyson though it was the skillset too. Holyfield was the first guy who wasn't even a little afraid of Mike. And he made Mike fight backing up, which Mike had no clue how to do.
Evander would've beaten Tyson at any point in their careers. Tyson was a bully who faded and Evander had great stamina and would die in the ring if he had to, and wasn't afraid to break the rules. Evander would've broken Mike's will at any point. He gave him hell as far back as the olympic training camp spar sessions. Like you said, he wasn't scared of Tyson, and that actually scared Tyson.

Evander would've beaten Tyson at any point in their careers. Tyson was a bully who faded and Evander had great stamina and would die in the ring if he had to, and wasn't afraid to break the rules. Evander would've broken Mike's will at any point. He gave him hell as far back as the olympic training camp spar sessions. Like you said, he wasn't scared of Tyson, and that actually scared Tyson.

Evandor and Roy Jones probably the two biggest gold medal robberies ever

My issue with Ngannou hype is how people seem to be reading a lot into his sloppy-ass striking technique that doesn't actually exist. He killed Overeem and Arlovski with looping arm-punches since they wandered into the pocket for no good reason, I don't really see much technical improvement in Ngannou's recent performances over the baseline.

I assume you're referring to the Vasquez fight. Up until just after that fight he was working full time and training at a no name gym. He moved to the Alan Belcher team and has looked worlds improved since. His cardio held up in his very high paced DWCS fight in which he was helping Knight with his fight 3 days prior leaving Davis to cut 21lbs in 4 days. Cardio also looked great in his Mustaki fight.

He has excellent MT and head movement, very aggressive, high volume with lots of pressure, an iron chin. Good cardio, defensive grappling and scrambles. He's a 4 stripe purple belt vs a purple belt. Bochniak is mostly a right cross with leg kicks on the feet. He goes for TDs near the end of rounds to try and steal them but doesn't have great top control. Bochniak should be 0-3 in the UFC, Barzola pretty clearly won that fight imo, one judge gave him 30-27 and all media judges scored it for Barzola.

Davis anywhere near evens is a steal, 3.5u -112.

HIs cardio looked bad in the Mustaki fight IMO. After the 1st round, he stopped moving his head and his footwork was limited to plodding forward very slowly. It looks fine because Mustaki looked more tired. Same thing in his DWCS fight. These are high paced but kickboxing matches. Now compare that to how fast and mobile Bochniak looks in the 3rd round after 2 rounds of getting outgrappled in his last fight and I think it's obvious who slows down faster. Hell even on 4 days notice against Rosa Bochniak didn't look that slow.

I also disagree with the lots of pressure part. He moves forward but so slowly that I don't think a mobile fighter would ever get cornered in a big cage. Both Mustaki and Arnett stayed right in his wheelhouse unnecessarily. When Arnett just spammed right hands from distance, he landed like 3 or 4 in a row. I don't see why Bochniak can't fight a whole fight throwing leg kicks and single shots from distance and then exiting the pocket.

It seems like everyone is on Davis and confident in him so I'm going to sit this one out, but I'll be the lone dissenter here since there are few opposing viewpoints here.

Just finished watching tape for Burgos - Kattar and I'm thinking that the line is way too wide here at 2-1. Burgos is entertaining as hell and I love his style, but it doesn't really matchup that well against Kattar.

Burgos is a pressure counterfighter, but he doesn't really land simultaneous counters. He kind of chills right outside of punching range and looks for spots to throw combinations in the pocket. He doesn't throw too much from long range. This is a problem against guys who try to play an outfighting game like Rosa in the first two rounds. You may disagree with the judges that scored the first 2 rounds for Rosa but bottom line is that Burgos had some trouble getting inside for those two rounds. He was in control and never looked in danger, but we've seen a lot of judges reward volume.

Kattar on the other hand doesn't really like to exchange much in the pocket. He likes to stay right outside of punching range too. But he manages the distance really well and knows just when a guy is close enough to land a 1-2. His striking is rote and doesn't have the variety of Burgos but he might not need it if Burgos steps into his range and allows him to throw some strikes and get out. Burgos' striking defense is not the best because he refuses to put his hands up. He walked into a lot of shots from Trator in the 3rd round and was forced to go for a takedown at one point. When Kattar fought Fili, Kattar was able to find the distance easier in Rds 2 and 3 despite the fact that Fili was using a lot of stance switching and lateral movement. I can see Kattar finding the distance even quicker against Burgos who stays heavy on his lead foot and walks forward in a line. If Kattar can feint and get Burgos to commit to slips before he throws, he can follow it up with his straight punches which are very accurate.

Burgos was finally able to get to Rosa in the 3rd round after Rosa danced around him, but Burgos had no fear of Rosa's power at all. Kattar doesn't have one shot power but I don't think he'll be easily walked down. I'm looking for any tape on Kattar fighting moving backwards to see if I'll back Kattar here, but I'm certainly not paying -200 for Burgos. A couple of other factors that might make a difference: Kattar will be fighting in front of a home crowd, and he does a good job of landing takedowns late to seal otherwise close rounds.

Well, it looks like my dudes came through yet again. Ya'll hammered that like button the same way Greg the Hammer Valentine nailed his opponents. My die hard amigos know to just follow the money. With me you know I come through like a meteor entering Earth's atmosphere. Frankly, my handicapping is deadly lethal like a Taepodong-2 missile. My mind so methodical when it comes to analyzation that I'd beat Gary Kasparov in a game of chess.

Now let me start with a few breadcrumbs and by the end you'll all be breaking bread courtesy of the one and only. Hard work not for the faint of heart. Amoeba's are useless in the grand scheme of things, but not I. The very definition of an alpha male.

Barry's UFC 220 Free Picks

1. Islam Makhachev Prop Wins Inside Distance +280 1 Unit
2. Enrique Barzola Prop Wins by Decision -110 2 Units
3. Dan Ige ML +130 1 Unit
4. Dustin Ortiz Prop Wins by Decision +210 1 Unit
5. Abdul Razak Al Hassan Prop Wins Inside Distance -135 2 Units
6. Kyle Bochniak ML +125 1 Unit
7. Rob Font Prop Wins Inside Distance +220 1 Unit
8. Francimar Barroso ML +155 1 Unit
9. Calvin Kattar vs Shane Burgos Prop Fight Doesn't Go To Decision +150 2 Units
10. Volkan Oezdemir Prop Wins Inside Distance +330 1 Unit
11. Stipe Miocic Prop Wins Inside Distance +200 2 Units

We will eviscerate this card. Picture a velociraptor annihilating a pterodactyl. Hence the motto: " Only the strong survive"

- Barry

Also @t6p and @EzFlyer

I paired my NOT Cormier sub -178 with the o1.5 sub prop at -125.

So yeah, I can get middled if there's no other subs on the card and DC does sub Volkan, but I can always buy out before the DC fight (at a loss obviously) if there haven't been any subs prior to it starting.

Ideally we'll see at least a couple before DC/Volkan. If there's 1 prior to it, I've hedged some of my action on it. I see 3-4 fights prior to DC/Volkan that at least have a decent shot at ending in a sub.

Guess we'll see how it goes. Not invested big or anything, but I'm comfortable with playing it this way I guess.

I actually think this is gonna be a low submission night. No likely subs whatsoever till cormier.

I sure hope pantoja gets one cause I have 0.33u on it at +5xx, but that's the second-most likely sub tonight, imo..

What's your fav ml play at current prices? Need some more plays. Prob join you on tibau.

It's unpopular right now but I like pantoja.. it's a better price than I had, too.

I think he's the slightly better striker and for sure the better grappler. I only see him losing via decision if he spends too much time on bottom..

I like(d) the pantoja NSC even more when it was like -150, tho.. I threw like 400 on it in that ballpark. That said, I'm a bit too heavy on the fight for my style; too many eggs in one basket. Ortiz finish would mean like -$800, lol.

But I kinda hate picking "one moneyline" ya know? I like a bunch of stuff to varying degrees.

I like a few dogs this week tho, unlike last week.. man last week sucked for me! Lol.

Gonna be on stipe 100%. But I also have u1.5 and various other props

Definitely think tibau is a must-bet for any high-to-medium volume bettor.

I'm trying to make sense of Alhassan - Homasi -stoppage. I think it's pretty clear, that Homasi was not going for a takedown but fell on his ass, but why did that happen? Was it the impact from that last glancing shot or a delayed reaction / last straw from the beating he was taking?

Well, it looks like my dudes came through yet again. Ya'll hammered that like button the same way Greg the Hammer Valentine nailed his opponents. My die hard amigos know to just follow the money. With me you know I come through like a meteor entering Earth's atmosphere. Frankly, my handicapping is deadly lethal like a Taepodong-2 missile. My mind so methodical when it comes to analyzation that I'd beat Gary Kasparov in a game of chess.

Now let me start with a few breadcrumbs and by the end you'll all be breaking bread courtesy of the one and only. Hard work not for the faint of heart. Amoeba's are useless in the grand scheme of things, but not I. The very definition of an alpha male.

Barry's UFC 220 Free Picks

1. Islam Makhachev Prop Wins Inside Distance +280 1 Unit
2. Enrique Barzola Prop Wins by Decision -110 2 Units
3. Dan Ige ML +130 1 Unit
4. Dustin Ortiz Prop Wins by Decision +210 1 Unit
5. Abdul Razak Al Hassan Prop Wins Inside Distance -135 2 Units
6. Kyle Bochniak ML +125 1 Unit
7. Rob Font Prop Wins Inside Distance +220 1 Unit
8. Francimar Barroso ML +155 1 Unit
9. Calvin Kattar vs Shane Burgos Prop Fight Doesn't Go To Decision +150 2 Units
10. Volkan Oezdemir Prop Wins Inside Distance +330 1 Unit
11. Stipe Miocic Prop Wins Inside Distance +200 2 Units

We will eviscerate this card. Picture a velociraptor annihilating a pterodactyl. Hence the motto: " Only the strong survive"

- Barry
Sorry, but I can't "Like" a post with such bad paleobiology, Barry. Pterodactyls went extinct tens of millions of years before velociraptors came into the world. Perhaps you meant a different species of pterosaur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back