UFC 211 - Stipe vs JDS II - Dallas - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jorge Masvidal said in an interview for UFC Tonight that he was only working on his striking and takedown defense, no jiu-jitsu at all. Is that a good idea? I know his gameplan is obviously to sprawl and brawl, but shouldn't you prepare for the worst case scenario in case Maia gets you down? Spending time working on survival/defensive jiu-jitsu seems like a good idea to me.

This should be a confidence increase for Masvidal backers, not a negative. Anyone that grapples can attest to the fact that Masvidal has zero to gain in 6 weeks against Maia. Hell, he may not even be near his level after another 6 years. The gap is too wide. It's better to focus his finite efforts and time into perfecting his strengths like Maia has been doing by working on his wrestling with Edgar, Chamizo etc.

It's better for Maia to sharpen that single leg and chain wrestling than to bring in Lomachenko and work his striking game. If shit doesn't go their way for either of these guys, they will lose. There's no getting around that.

edit: I also think this is simply a bluff of sorts. Just like Maia is at least training his boxing for defense, Masivdal is rolling to keep his skills sharp. He won't gain shit in 6 weeks, but it'd be stupid to go into a fight rusty on the ground as well. ATT/Masvidal aren't stupid.

At least say something different instead of literally the same shit verbatim.

Definitely struggled with the distance, just finished watching this fight actually. Have to watch his tape, but I don't think Vick has the same footwork

Vick has good footwork

Mmagambling expert is no wmma capper. Stick to the men dude

Mmagambling expert is no wmma capper. Stick to the men dude
I understand why you may think that I haven't done well betting women's mma this year but I did great last year. I'm 100% correct about JJ/Andrade though. Will be playing JJ for sure if price improves.

Vick has good footwork

I'm with you after watching tape. Not the same kind of movement that Novelli employed but he'll definitely give Polo trouble. Still has tendencies to keep his chin high and stand in the pocket for too long, or get a little wild when he closes distance.

But should be Vick's fight to lose as long as he respects Polo's boxing and keeps distance. May stab at his sub prop too

I know some posters have been brushing off the JJ chin concerns as non sense, but the bigger point there to me is that she is hittable.

vs Karolina: KK only landed 50 sig strikes, but 72% of those were to the head and she was stunned in round 4
vs Claudia 2: Claudia had 63 sig strikes landed with 90% to the head with a knockdown early on and an elbow that stunned her later
vs Valerie (the most interesting fight to me IMO): Valerie landed 103 sig strikes with ~70% to the head

I've always felt the way to beat JJ was to match her volume/output. Andrade is an interesting case here because of that exact reason...over 300 strikes against Hill and broke the 200 mark in a 2 rounder against Penne. Obviously JJ offers more of a threat than Andrade's previous SW opponents but she has the capacity to throw hard, and very often.

JJ is not elusive enough to prevent being hit the entire time. KK who is far below her striking level even managed to land 50 times on her. She WILL get hit and she is facing a style of fighter she hasn't encountered yet.

One more thing is if you look at Joanna's striking diversity, she is almost always in a 33/33/33 split (head/body/legs) against opponents that do not offer a primary takedown threat (i.e.: Claudia). Her leg kicks are vicious, but they also give Andrade a chance to swarm every time she opens up with one. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Joanna either get tagged hard or end up off balance on some of those [naked] low kick attempts that she throws at times

McDonaldSoto2.gif

as someone mentioned previously (and IMO), JJ's biggest threat are her elbows and front kicks down the pipe. I actually hope to see her open up with those beautiful teeps a bit more in this fight.

Regardless, Andrade is a legit threat no matter how simplistic her style may seem to some. High output and power is going to always be a potential problem against a fighter that accumulates damage and momentum over time and does not possess 1 shot KO power.

Last edited:
I did my first ever sig bet last event because I was very confident in Hector Sandoval while many were on his opponent.

I am very confident in JJ this time around, and would like to do another sig bet if there are any takers.

I did my first ever sig bet last event because I was very confident in Hector Sandoval while many were on his opponent.

I am very confident in JJ this time around, and would like to do another sig bet if there are any takers.
my sig belongs to @Joseph Budden but if he's willing to take yours if I win this sig and relieve me of my sig bet penalty, I'm down

I'll sig bet you, chump.

I know some posters have been brushing off the JJ chin concerns as non sense, but the bigger point there to me is that she is hittable.

vs Karolina: KK only landed 50 sig strikes, but 72% of those were to the head and she was stunned in round 4
vs Claudia 2: Claudia had 63 sig strikes landed with 90% to the head with a knockdown early on and an elbow that stunned her later
vs Valerie (the most interesting fight to me IMO): Valerie landed 103 sig strikes with ~70% to the head

I've always felt the way to beat JJ was to match her volume/output. Andrade is an interesting case here because of that exact reason...over 300 strikes against Hill and broke the 200 mark in a 2 rounder against Penne. Obviously JJ offers more of a threat than Andrade's previous SW opponents but she has the capacity to throw hard, and very often.

JJ is not elusive enough to prevent being hit the entire time. KK who is far below her striking level even managed to land 50 times on her. She WILL get hit and she is facing a style of fighter she hasn't encountered yet.

One more thing is if you look at Joanna's striking diversity, she is almost always in a 33/33/33 split (head/body/legs) against opponents that do not offer a primary takedown threat (i.e.: Claudia). Her leg kicks are vicious, but they also give Andrade a chance to swarm every time she opens up with one. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Joanna either get tagged hard or end up off balance on some of those [naked] low kick attempts that she throws at times

McDonaldSoto2.gif

as someone mentioned previously (and IMO), JJ's biggest threat are her elbows and front kicks down the pipe. I actually hope to see her open up with those beautiful teeps a bit more in this fight.

Regardless, Andrade is a legit threat no matter how simplistic her style may seem to some. High output and power is going to always be a potential problem against a fighter that accumulates damage and momentum over time and does not possess 1 shot KO power.

Andrade has power?

She punches that backstepping retard Hill 300x in head and Hill was still conscious?

I think Andrade looks more powerful than she is, either that or Hill has a massive chin.

Last edited:
I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, and most ruthless elite bettor there's ever been. There's no one can stop me. @MMA Gambling Expert is a conqueror? No, I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander. I'm the best ever. There's never been anybody as ruthless. I'm @Joseph Budden, I'm @King_Brown. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My underdog picks are impetuous, my props are impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah.

I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, and most ruthless elite bettor there's ever been. There's no one can stop me. @MMA Gambling Expert is a conqueror? No, I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander. I'm the best ever. There's never been anybody as ruthless. I'm @Joseph Budden, I'm @King_Brown. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My underdog picks are impetuous, my props are impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah.
{<doc}

Andrade is giving up 4 inches of height and 3.5 inches of reach, but we expect her to out strike JJ for 5 rounds <45><45>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back