UFC 207: Dominick Cruz vs. Cody Garbrandt PBP (Discussion)

only because Cruz chucked him up of the division.

Literally chucked him.

Have you ever seen DJ? Do you really believe him and Cruz are equally sized men? Cruz is much larger and not only that but DJ has improved quite a bit and I wouldn't be shocked to see him beat Cruz. He was for sure above Cruz p4p coming into this fight.

Cruz is far more experienced and has faced much better competition. His cardio is excellent and fights smart.

If Cody can't catch him by surprise and put him away fast, Cruz wins this all day long.
Come again? What was that? I missed the fight but understand it didn't go down quite like that.

Shiiiiiit, never been so surprised following a fight before. I can't believe how much I underestimated Garbrandt. I knew he was good, but thought Cruz would demolish him. I knew there was a legit chance of Cody catching Dom, but would have never expected him to dominate him like that. Really smart gameplan, great accuracy on the exchanges, really confident (not just dumb ignorance as I was thinking during all the pre-fight talk). Kid is for real. Big props. Huge future ahead of this guy, reminds me a lot of McGregor, terrifying KO artist, smart counter puncher, which I did not expect at all, but add in his wrestling background - which I am looking a lot forward for him to hopefully get to show a bit soon - and you have a GREAT fighter on your hands.

Cruz will be back though. He got outsmarted tonight, don't think he expected Cody to be this composed at all, but he's still the best bantamweight ever. I hope he can come back and figure Cody out. He took it like a G post-fight, no excuses, gave his props. Class act. TJ already deserved a title shot, so it's interesting who they'll feed Cody next, as Dom obviously should be deserving of a rematch instantly. This division is stacked, impossible to separate those three after tonight. I'm down for whatever they do, whoever they match up it's hella interesting. I'm still rooting for Dom all the way, but man did Cody win me over tonight. GREAT FIGHT!

The second round I think is a classic example of people giving it to the guy who looked "busy", Cruz was dancing around him where as Cody was waiting until he commited and then countering him most of the time.

Honestly I don't think Cruz got "outsmarted" so much as Cody exposed a clear hole in his game, as great as his movement and defence often is I think he's lacking a solid core of boxing fundamentals meaning when he does commit he leaves openings.

For me...

Rd 1 - Very close

Rd 2 - Cody

Rd 3 - Clearly Cody

Rd 4 - Clearly Cody and probably 10-8

Rd 5 - Very close

Honestly I don't think Cruz got "outsmarted" so much as Cody exposed a clear hole in his game, as great as his movement and defence often is I think he's lacking a solid core of boxing fundamentals meaning when he does commit he leaves openings.

That was very evident tonight, but we rarely see guys with this level of boxing compete in MMA. Cody was looking like Anderson Silva out there, amazing head movement, dancing etc. but he hits even harder (at least for his division).

Dom's been talking about fighting McGregor before, and I never liked that idea, Conor has a lot of similarities with what we saw from Cody tonight and with the reach advantage I think he would KO Cruz. I'm even more sure of it now.

But the hole in Cruz' boxing is very small. MMA is a different game today, it's gotten so popular that it's not only wrestlers, kickboxers etc. (who without MMA couldn't really earn a lot of money competing) looking to breakthrough, potential boxing prospects and other athletes who could have had amazing careers in other professions, will now chose a career in MMA as their path is paved for them to earn money in this sport. Cruz is still from an era where that wasn't really the case and guys will need real solid boxing in the future if they want to stay on top (btw. look at what's happened to Ronda the last two fights compared to what she faced during her streak)

That's going to be become more and more true as MMA moves further beyond boxing in popularity. Cruz is a smart, smart guy though. He'll figure it out, and if he doesn't, he had a great career. Nobody can ever take that away from him.

Last edited:
As I thought it wouldn't be easy for Cruz to do his bullshit against someone closer to his size

It's easy to be elusive when u dwarf most of your opponents

As I thought it wouldn't be easy for Cruz to do his bullshit against someone closer to his size

It's easy to be elusive when u dwarf most of your opponents

doesn't make sense, bigger is slower. He finally met someone who had decent footwork, decent head movement and good understanding of range. He was fast enough to offset Cruz so he couldn't even get his timing down.

I felt like Cruz was going for a knockout, which did not work for him. I felt like if he tried to win a decision and just stay away from Cody's punches he could have done better.

I was going for Cruz to win this fight, I have not seen any of Cody's fights before and thought he was a basic fighter with KO power. Also thought Cruz was too smart for him, which he is to be honest. Although I started seeing a Cody win in the weigh ins when I saw how confidant he is and I saw some nerves on Cruz. You can tell when a fighter is overconfident and when he is confident because he sees something, and Cody was the latter. So I wasn't sure about a Cruz win anymore. There was also the fact that he's a KO artist and it doesn't take a lot of shots for a fighter like that to win the fight.

Cody comes from a boxing background, this again shows that having good boxing works really well against MMA fighters, even against someone as talented as Cruz. Make no mistake though. I still see Cruz coming back and winning the belt again.
Garbrandt learned from Dillashaw's mistakes.

Don't chase, make him fight.

Stuff the BS takedowns that are only designed to score points.

Cruz never had good boxing. He has no head movement. He's "elusive" by trying to flatout avoid the pocket. Garbrandt refused to play his game, forcing Cruz to be more offensive, and he just looked silly.

Yep, Cody went straight from "I didn't even know who he was" to p4p #something ufc fighter

Take notes, Jeremy

I didnt know there was an event last night. I will really enjoy watching Cody pick Cruz apart this afternoon. I knew this guy had potential when he ktfo brimmage. His boxing style is too clean for the rest of his division.

Oh, and poor Ronda, lol.

Also, fuckin lol at the first page of this thread.

Time to ko the snake
What did I do!?

<{boneytears}>

Great performance by Cody, but the fucker didn't finish Dom in the 4th, so he didn't get me those 100 Tapology points. Oh well, at least he clowned Cruz good.

That was pretty offing masterful from Garbrandt. As other have pointed out, mostly having a legitimately tight boxing game presented a turrible style matchup for Cruz.

Did Cruz seem slow to anyone else last night? My friend and I were talking about it how it seemed like he was stuck in the mud right from the beginning. It was like he was throwing 1 feint for every 3 he did in most other fights. I could just be imagining things though.

Did Cruz seem slow to anyone else last night? My friend and I were talking about it how it seemed like he was stuck in the mud right from the beginning. It was like he was throwing 1 feint for every 3 he did in most other fights. I could just be imagining things though.

If you compare him to his fight against TJ, something definitely seemed to be off. I think he was just put off a bit by Cody's waiting game. Hard to say what caused it, but it became clearer as he proceeded to take damage, so I think it was simply a product of Cody's gameplan. But who the fuck nows...

Easily a top 5 all time surprising result for me, personally. Garbrandt was infinitely better than I thought he could be, ever. Wow. Outstanding performance

Back