UFC 201: Rose Namajunas vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz PBP (Discussion)

262492-9231592.png

I'm surprised to see so many people that expect Namajunas to win. IMO, she hasn't many "convincing" wins. VanZant is little more than a show pony. Torres has never even put anyone in danger, and Namajunas barely squeaked by her. Kowalkiewicz has had to face some tough competition, and she still has a perfect record. Just watch her fight against Mizuki if you want to see a pair of aggressive fighters with rounded skill sets. They both would beat Namajunas.

I see Rose getting socked a few times and falling apart. If she tries to evade, it'll just be a matter of time before they tangle. In the clinch, KK will tear it up. I'm hoping for a finish. Polish women seem to be pretty tough. I hope KK doesn't have to face JJ. Perhaps UFC will create a 125, and JJ and JoJo can fight for the inaugural belt. Kowalkiewicz can face someone for the vacant 115 title. A guy can dream, right?

Karolina FTW!!

She takes rounds 2 and 3 to get the decision IMO.

39712-1074378.png

50/50 on this fight. Kinda want Rose to win because she's more of a finisher. Wonder what my picks will look like by the time this fight happens. it's like a shitty time capsule.

If you look at the stats then KK looks like a tough match up for Rose. KK has 95% takedown defence, and Rose is at her strongest on the mat, and Rose's stand up is okay where as KK throws twice as many strikes and is the more accurate striker.

Just watched KK vs Randa and KK did well with her sub defence, Randa had her back and a body triangle and KK defended well for half a round from that position. KK's scrambles aren't bad either, she basically won that fight due to scrambling in the last few minuets and ending up in half guard... Considering putting some money on KK. She looked ta her worst in the clinch, where she was basically over powered, but I don't see Rose having as much of a strength advantage. I like Rose and she has looked good at times, but she has also looked average at times. KK has good hands, good TDD and that Polish grit.

And, let's be honest, it's WMMA, none of them are THAT good at anything.

But if she keeps getting tagged, surely she'll take it to the ground? Especially when KK brings it heavy in 2 and 3.

Markos took KK down pretty easily, granted KK did well when she got there but Markos aint Rose.

In karolina's defense, and Markos' too for that matter, Markos has taken down every single fighter she's ever faced, fighters like Tecia and Rose for example. Markos' takedowns are no joke.

In karolina's defense, and Markos' too for that matter, Markos has taken down every single fighter she's ever faced, fighters like Tecia and Rose for example. Markos' takedowns are no joke.

Yeah, her wrestling surprised the shit out of people on TUF.

And, let's be honest, it's WMMA, none of them are THAT good at anything.

BLASPHEMY! Then again, I assume you're comparing them to the top men. There are plenty of women with some fantastic technique and fight IQ. It just doesn't have the same result because they just don't have as much power. I was very impressed when I watched Kowalkiewicz face Mizuki. KK's boxing was right on par with Mizuki's (which is highly regarded.) I would expect her to employ those skills against Namajunas. Rose had better unleash the beast early and go straight for a sub. Otherwise, KK is likely to keep punching on her.

BLASPHEMY! Then again, I assume you're comparing them to the top men. There are plenty of women with some fantastic technique and fight IQ. It just doesn't have the same result because they just don't have as much power. I was very impressed when I watched Kowalkiewicz face Mizuki. KK's boxing was right on par with Mizuki's (which is highly regarded.) I would expect her to employ those skills against Namajunas. Rose had better unleash the beast early and go straight for a sub. Otherwise, KK is likely to keep punching on her.
Personally I like that there's some rough edges in the women's divisions. If everyone was a killer like JJ it would be way too intense and nerve wracking. I think it's comfortable that it's a little bit less intense, probably why WMMA is so popular.

You would think so, but Rose didn't in her last fight against Torres. She kept striking and left it to a judges' coinflip.

I've heard a claim that Namajunas has taken her opponent down at least once in every fight she's ever fought. I haven't fully checked out that claim yet, but I checked out what Fightmetric had to say about Namajunas vs Torres 2. They say Namajunas took Torres down twice in four attempts.

(And if you are wondering, I checked out Namajunas vs Esparza. Fightmetric says Namajunas took Esparza down once in three attempts)

Personally I like that there's some rough edges in the women's divisions. If everyone was a killer like JJ it would be way too intense and nerve wracking. I think it's comfortable that it's a little bit less intense, probably why WMMA is so popular.

It also makes for some very good scraps. Not unlike watching some men's amateur MMA. They often times set it off! There wasn't one boring fight on the recent Invicta card.

Of course, there are always exceptions. Some of the most painfully boring fights I've ever seen were in WMMA (McMann vs. Eye, Honchak vs. anyone...)

I've heard a claim that Namajunas has taken her opponent down at least once in every fight she's ever fought. I haven't fully checked out that claim yet, but I checked out what Fightmetric had to say about Namajunas vs Torres 2. They say Namajunas took Torres down twice in four attempts.

(And if you are wondering, I checked out Namajunas vs Esparza. Fightmetric says Namajunas took Esparza down once in three attempts)

What do you think happens tonight?

Did it for you. At least the UFC:

Yes, once every pro fight. Two vs. Torres, eight vs PVZ, 1 vs. Hill (squash match considering Hill's lack of grappling), and one of five vs. Esparza. We know she took down her first two opponents, including the second via flying arm bar.

Not sure about the first fight with Torres.

KK is always the underdog and still undefeated. Gotta go with her, even though my mind says Rose.
Btw had a dream of this fight the other night, and Rose KTFO KK. I hope my dream was wrong.

Did it for you. At least the UFC:

Yes, once every pro fight. Two vs. Torres, eight vs PVZ, 1 vs. Hill (squash match considering Hill's lack of grappling), and one of five vs. Esparza. We know she took down her first two opponents, including the second via flying arm bar.

Not sure about the first fight with Torres.

I recall Namajunas trying a flying armbar on Torres in their first fight. It wasn't too successful as a flying armbar but it got Tecia down, and a subsequent scramble resulted in Namajunas getting Torres into a deep armbar that looked very bad for Torres before she managed an escape.

Karolina will win. I wonder what her odds are, maybe worth a bet.

I love watching the female fighters, always have done. I have noticed lately that more and more of us defend the women's version when someone criticizes it, it's great.

Back