UFC 201 Impressions

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by first_rodeo, Jul 31, 2016.

1. first_rodeo

first_rodeo White Belt

Total new dick here. Used to be a big UFC fan (50-90) and then slowly stopped watching. So here's my thoughts. Just figure since I don't follow the scene as closely as most on this forum, my input would have a different perspective. Feel free to disagree.

Overall take away: Split decisions are a thing now...

Benoit - Serrano: Impressive in that it was entertaining and full of "what the fuck" moments while still plenty of action.

Rivera - Perez: Holy fuck this was boring. Just sloppy and no talent from either fighter. Taking the interview in the mask was icing on the cake for this turd of a match up.

Brown - Ellenberger: This fight reminded me of the old boxing days where they just needed a human punching bag (Brown) to fill a card. Holy cow did that guy look out of shape and get beat like a total scrub.

The Chicks: I loved the Polish girls humble confidence (hands behind her back, leaning up against the ring) and she definitely had a better game when it came to those clinches. Also, seeing her cry at the end made me happy. I love women.

Title Fight: Honestly, Woodly looked insane for 170. Holy shit. Lawler came out scared, but I would have been too looking at that solid tensed right fist that Woodly kept cocked. Lawler had no chance against that kind of power and speed and it showed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. The guest

The guest Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

There was some high quality violence. No fight card is perfect. But I enjoyed the fuck out of that.

The fuckin judge that gave Rose the fight is beyond help. These people need to be held accountable. It's complete bullshit.

first_rodeo and McgreGOATsLeft like this.
  3. manapua

manapua Brown Belt

I can't take your opinion seriously if you started and stopped watching a sport in 40 events...

Track Jipper likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Purple Belt

I thought it was a great card with great fights and a ton of finishes. Great match making and great job by Woodley to seize his opportunity when it came. I also think it was exceptional when you think that there was supposed to be a flyweight title fight along with all the rest but this card delivered without it.

first_rodeo likes this.
  5. first_rodeo

first_rodeo White Belt

I was in the Army and what got me into it was my Sergeants wife would mail us DVDs of the fights in Iraq. During my second tour, I had no access and it just fell off my radar.

6. KDR by RNC

KDR by RNC Purple Belt

I missed out on the main card but I really enjoyed the prelims. Kyrlov vs Herman was gangster.

7. BlankaPresident

BlankaPresident Blue Belt

The funny thing is that Ellenberger who was supposed to be the punching bag.

discrawg likes this.
  8. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

- Woodley gets another early KO. Still don't know how he does late in the fight (since the layoff)
    - co-main confirms how great JJ's cardio and pacing are. KK is very tough
    - Ellenberger took a risk in charging the pressure fighter and it paid off. Good for him, he has potential but has been too patient since joining Glendale
    - Masvidal got a much needed knockdown to possibly avoid another robbery (even though he wins most of these fights on the feet. It's the subtle way he strikes and gets out of range that's prolly tough to score for some judges)

discrawg likes this.
  9. discrawg

discrawg Brown Belt

[​IMG]

10. first_rodeo

first_rodeo White Belt

Lawler trained with Woodley. I think he knew his time was up. He had no strategy other than maybe try to let him wear himself out. Not a good strat when your opponent is not only faster, but bigger than you in every way dimensionally...

As far as Brown, did we watch the same fight?

11. TatooNU

TatooNU Brown Belt

You forgot that Robbie was coming off a cycle and Rose looks like a 13 yo boy.

first_rodeo likes this.
  12. discrawg

discrawg Brown Belt

I think you're wrong when you say you think he knew his time was up. I also think that if you look more closely into the matter you will see why.

ANYWAY...

Yes we definitely watched the same fight, & I find it hilarious that you think Matt Brown looked out of shape & got beat like a scrub.

With some context I believe you will too see the funny side, up to you if you want to look into it further.

Actually on second thoughts, you might be trolling, I've noticed how new your account is.

13. discrawg

discrawg Brown Belt

[​IMG]

14. first_rodeo

first_rodeo White Belt

Not trolling. Going down from a kick to the abdomen, is pretty rare in the UFC is it not? Lots of guys take shots like that and don't fetal the way Brown did. He was flabby (watch his calves when he's on the ground) and a fighter that relied way to much on his reach and supposed *durability* from what I saw.

15. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

Only watched Brown/Jake & Lawler/Woodley

both fights were good

16. reddhelium

reddhelium Black Belt

jake left glendale and has been training at kings mma for his last 2 fights

MCS likes this.
  17. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

Sure looked like Cordeiro's stuff rather than getting hammered under Edmond's tutelage. Good move.

reddhelium likes this.
  18. discrawg

discrawg Brown Belt

It was an extremely hard liver shot, not simply a "kick to the abdomen"

Jake threw it full motion from the southpaw stance, when that exact kick connects cleanly to the liver, it is NOT rare at all for a fighter to hit the canvas.

Also notable; Matt Brown has a notoriously hard chin, big heart, but it has been well documented that his body is the hole in his armour.

Jake Ellenberger has always possessed KO power.

As far as him looking flabby, go back and watch all the fights he has recently won against world class fighters. I think he looked the same at 201 as in any of those outings.

I think that you are just missing context is all, when a fighter goes down so quickly, you look for reasons. "Bum" and "out of shape" is what you found, and in this case it's simply just not true, in my opinion.

reddhelium likes this.
  19. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Black Belt

To be fair, it used to take 4-5 years for us to get 40 events. Now we get it in less than a year.

manapua and first_rodeo like this.
  20. Phronimos

Phronimos The truth don't have to be validated by ignorance.

You don't have to explain yourself on Sherdog. It's all good.

discrawg and first_rodeo like this.