PBP UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic Prelims PBP (Discussion) 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT/11:30pm UK

Maia doesn't put asses in seats. In the end, that's what matters.

Just to be honest with you guys:

- Maia is boring, but he's still less boring than the average wrestler than won't do anything other than takedown and LNP.
- Maia was trying to finish, the problem is that it's not easy to submit a person in a RNC when they all know that's what you're about to do.
- The referee never stands the fighters back up when one of them is grappled on the back of the other or mounted on top.
- Now you know how the brazilian feels with fighters that got no intention of fighting, just grind out decisions.
- Other nice difference is that when Maia is with his back on the mat he always find a way to sweep, I'm unable to say so as of any wrestler I can think of.

Again, if you ask me, I think Maia is a terribly boring fighter, but so it is with a dozen others.

Seeing Bendo just reminded me of that horrible, one-sided loss he had a few weeks ago.

I have no problem with Maia getting the next title shot. He has an excellent chance of beating either Lawler or Woodley next.

you guys should be complaining about brown totally shitting the bed.

he never once tried to do anything to get out of back control at all. just let Maia ride his back as long as he wanted. till he was ready to finish.

the Onus is on Brown to actually fight back right? isnt that what fighters are supposed to do?

you fight to win not to just survive.

Maia deserves a Titleshot

Nah. Shields is a great grappler. he just sucks at trying to get it there because of his mediocre wrestling.

No doubt, Shields is a top tier grappler. The way that Maia has been using his grappling in MMA has been absolutely dominant thoug

Maia was more aggressive, advanced position, and threatened Shields more during their fight, but Shields exhibited his two best traits, e.g. sub defense and top control. I still think Maia should have taken the decision though.

Anyone who doesn't love what Maia just did should go and watch kickboxing

And if Maia wants to practice BJJ without actually fighting, he should go to a grappling contest

I'm all for some sick jits, but spamming terrible takedowns and being generally afraid to engage is boring. Everyone hates one dimensional strikers, but someone Maia gets a pass for being a one dimensional grappler.

Matt Browns style is catered to someone like Maia. Maybe you just started watching so I'll give you the benefit of a doubt.
Thank you. I won't be that nice. You know shit about fightng, not to mention being a huge butthurt and cry baby boy

A Maia title run would be a BJJ version of GSP. But, you know, back mount instead of wrestling/top position.

Thank you. I won't be that nice. You know shit about fightng, not to mention being a huge butthurt and cry baby boy

Ok little guy. Have a nice night and enjoy the fact that your parents are letting you stay up late to watch.

Dang, Goldberg's eye is all messed up. Zika?
IMAG0118_zpsfizqdn3g.jpg

IMAG0119_zpseipoddc2.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Demian Maia is the male Ronda Rousey, except that he doesn't come with all the bitchyness.

How long will it take for someone to be able to finish him without trying to beat him in grappling/wrestling/bjj-ing?

I get that some of you don't truly like MMA. That is fine.

But that was an awesome performance by Maia to show how BJJ can wear out and finish an opponent when the artificial saves are taken away.

Great for Maia. Now give him a top 5 opponent and let him prove he can over come some that.

And if Maia wants to practice BJJ without actually fighting, he should go to a grappling contest

I'm all for some sick jits, but spamming terrible takedowns and being generally afraid to engage is boring. Everyone hates one dimensional strikers, but someone Maia gets a pass for being a one dimensional grappler.
Agreed there is a bias towards grapplers than strikers and it really irritates me.

Back