UFC 195: first all women PPV?

Some fans may have said that, but more (the hardcore) don't care about mainstream and casual fandom. The problem was and always will be with the greed of the UFC brass. They expanded too much, held too many cards with too few marquee fighters, and are looking for the quick payday, all while screwing the fighters who helped make them, all of which has turned off hardcore fans. Now they have this super-promotion of select fighters and try to sell cards based just on their star power. That's not how you build a fanbase.

But his point is why cater to fans who just stream pay per views and bitch about everything when they could get a much more numerous fan base who will gravitate to superstars like bees to honey?

that would be great for fans - they would never do that - you could just not watch that sht and not have to deal w wmma at all - they have to mix it w the general mma (minus ronda who is her own beast, you DNB)

Some fans may have said that, but more (the hardcore) don't care about mainstream and casual fandom. The problem was and always will be with the greed of the UFC brass. They expanded too much, held too many cards with too few marquee fighters, and are looking for the quick payday, all while screwing the fighters who helped make them, all of which has turned off hardcore fans. Now they have this super-promotion of select fighters and try to sell cards based just on their star power. That's not how you build a fanbase.

If you dont care about mainstream appeal, why do you care if there are few marquee fighters?

We all knew it was coming sooner or later

Sherdog gonna bitch like hell when it does 750k but Weidman would only pull 300 if he was a main event

We all knew it was coming sooner or later

Sherdog gonna bitch like hell when it does 750k but Weidman would only pull 300 if he was a main event

Ronda did 300k for the mcmann fight I would expect no huge numbers from a fight vs Holm and a undercard full of girls

But his point is why cater to fans who just stream pay per views and bitch about everything when they could get a much more numerous fan base who will gravitate to superstars like bees to honey?

Because this is MMA where one punch ends a fight and superstars don't last long. Even Tennis players have a longer time at the top than MMA fighters (who aren't eventually exposed for PED use). Streaming PPVs for free came along with fan dissatisfaction with Zuffa and the product they are putting out.

If you dont care about mainstream appeal, why do you care if there are few marquee fighters?

You don't think hardcore fans want cards with marquee fighters that are relevant to title shots and rankings? I'd like every card to have either a title fight or a top contender fight or two, and numerous top 10 fights. Instead we get cards with one or two relevant fights and a bunch of TUF'rs and filler fights. UFC 189 is the perfect example. Is that the future of MMA that you want to see?

oh, and I wouldn't buy it. I'm interested in like 3 female fighters. They can turn in some good performances, but the overall talent level is so inferior to what we see from the men I just can't get too into it all - most of the time (there have been exceptions)

I love watching Ronda and Joanna but I would be pissed if they did all women. Most of them aren't worth watching.

You don't think hardcore fans want cards with marquee fighters that are relevant to title shots and rankings? I'd like every card to have either a title fight or a top contender fight or two, and numerous top 10 fights. Instead we get cards with one or two relevant fights and a bunch of TUF'rs and filler fights. UFC 189 is the perfect example. Is that the future of MMA that you want to see?

Did you buy UFC 169? Two title fights, a title eliminator, a fight with two top ten HWs, and a mid tier barn burner to open the main card. It only did 350k. Where were the hardcore fans.

Last year was an interesting year. McGregor and Rousey were on the rise, but hadnt blown up the way they have this year. Most PPVs were intended to have two title fights with all fighters other than the curtain jerker ranked in the top 15. Now, of course shit happened. Some injury replacements were used. Some prelim fights were bumped up. But if you look at the intended fights and fighters only a few outside of the opening fight werent ranked in the top 15 at the time.

They are trying to put out top level product.

Take UFC 170, for example. Lets look at the original main card they wanted to give us.

Rousey vs. McMann
Cormier vs. Evans
MacDonald vs. Maia
Melendez vs. Nurmagomedov
Dos Anjos vs. Khabilov

Solid card. But Evans had to pull out. Melendez was in a contract dispute. Kgabilov got injured. So they brought in Cummins and two prelim fights were bumped up. It us a prime example of how quickly a solid card can become a disappointing one.

But people will bitch if they have to put out a sub par product. Then when they do put out a stacked card, nobody buys it.

Torres v Waterson? Rather see Jag v Waterson

Assuming Tate is still interested in Flyweight, that would be solid time to introduce the weightclass; seems like a better option than having Cyborg kill her (would watch though).

I would prefer that the PPV be only 4 female fights, plus the debut of Fedor.

PVZ vs Chambers and then Eye vs Pena on Oct 3rd are the only female fights lined up right now, until Jan 2nd. Looks like UFC's saving the women roster for 195.

And Eye and Pena can still do a 3 month training camp after their fight to get in on 195.

PVZ vs Chambers and then Eye vs Pena on Oct 3rd are the only female fights lined up right now, until Jan 2nd. Looks like UFC's saving the women roster for 195.

Don't forget Jessica Andrade vs. Raquel Pennington at UFC 191 and Rose Namajunas vs. Angela Hill at UFC 192. :p

Back