UFC 193 confirmed for Melbourne's Docklands/Etihad Stadium; two more fights announced

40000 comp tickets will be handed out

From where?? Ive been to ever UFC Australia even any there have been no mass handouts of comp tickets.

Etihad in Australia sells out everything. Even the fucking krusty demons sold out there.

ronda ain't gonna be on this card, she'll be fighting on the new year's show. take that to the bank.

condit vs. lawler is the main event and if that's not a great fuckin' fight for you, you're not a real fight fan, plain and simple.

So according to the Aussies on here, selling out that stadium is plausible? Well hot damn, this could make this card epic. The Aussies are a great crowd usually, and a stadium full of them for fights like Hunt/Bigfoot 2 and Lawler/Condit should be fun.

ronda ain't gonna be on this card, she'll be fighting on the new year's show. take that to the bank.

condit vs. lawler is the main event and if that's not a great fuckin' fight for you, you're not a real fight fan, plain and simple.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/19/9177503/melbournes-etihad-stadium-set-to-host-ufc-193

Dana White confirms this to Ariel Helwani.

Hopefully we will see something very close to:

WW title bout: Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit
Co-main HW bout: JDS vs. Overeem

any order of
MW bout: Michael Bisping vs. Robert Whittaker
HW bout: Antonio Silva vs. Mark Hunt
LHW bout: Jackson vs. Rua?

on UFC 193

So according to the Aussies on here, selling out that stadium is plausible? Well hot damn, this could make this card epic. The Aussies are a great crowd usually, and a stadium full of them for fights like Hunt/Bigfoot 2 and Lawler/Condit should be fun.

Sorry to burst people's bubble, but as an Aussie, I don't think properly selling out this stadium is plausible.

The stadium has a 53,359 seating capacity for Australian football (56,347 with standing room), with a playing surface of 159.5 metres by 128.5 metres (174.4 yards by 140.5 yards). They're obviously not going to need all that field space for the Octagon, so there's going to be a fair bit of seating on the field. They'll probably need to sell about 70,000 tickets to truly sell out the venue.

It's not very common to get crowds of over 45,000 at this particular venue for Australian football, which is the most regular event there, so I'd be kind of surprised if the UFC gets that, even if it is a special event (especially if the prices are as ridiculous as they were for the Adelaide event in May - around $110 even for the worst seats). Then again, the venue record attendance for an entertainment event there is 64,619, which Robbie Williams drew back in 2006. One Direction drew 59,253 there earlier this year, and Eminem drew 59,675 there late last year too, so you never know what might bring people in.

Last edited:
Need a decent co-main for this to come anywhere close to selling out that stadium

Otherwise they will just close off the top tier and still have approx 25k fans

The card doesn't look strong enough for a stadium to me. Lawler/Condit and Hunt/Bigfoot should be good fights, but I don't think the title fights and name value is strong enough. Also, I don't expect another war in the Hunt/Bigfoot fight; someone (probably Bigfoot) is going away early. And there's a chance Condit looks at the Robbie/Rory fight and decides to fight cautiously like he did against Diaz. I think this event could use a second title fight.

Question for you Auzies.

How's the mainstream press for UFC down there? Do you think there will be lot's of coverage for this event? UFC 129 in Toronto was a huge deal which helped fill that stadium, but ultimately it was GSP that drove sales.

I'm really curious to see how this will go.

Question for you Auzies.

How's the mainstream press for UFC down there? Do you think there will be lot's of coverage for this event? UFC 129 in Toronto was a huge deal which helped fill that stadium, but ultimately it was GSP that drove sales.

I'm really curious to see how this will go.

The mainstream press don't really cover the UFC, however because this event is the first in Melbourne, plus a stadium show, I'm sure there will be lots of media coverage for this.

The Aussies like to think Melbourne is the "sporting capital of the world"

Main Card so far:

Lawler vs Condit
Hunt vs Bigfoot 2
Bisping vs Whittaker.

Looking forward to this one!

No RR, Conor or Jones, they'll be giving out a ton of free tickets to have any hope of breaking the sports attendance record there of 56k.

UFC 144 was huge, legends/local legends in a massively dense city with a much bigger combat sport history than Melb - only got to 21k attendance

Back