UFC 190:Maia vs Magney SPOILERS

Here's to hoping that Maia sticks to his roots, proving that they obviously are what he's brilliant at!

Maia vs Palhares.

The only MMA match to never feature a single strike the entire fight... OR another one of those MMA matches where the two guys respect each others grappling SO MUCH, that it turns into a slugfest... Which would probably rival the striking of your average amateur local showing :eek:

Love Maia and hs Jiu-Jitsu. Beautiful to watch. So happy he won.

When I was a newish white belt I learned so much from his Science of Jiu-Jitsu DVD's. I would come back a week later and blues and purples would be like "damn dude, you are way better". Thanks Demian Maia. Well and my instructors.

I need to go back & watch these.

LargeRegularBlesbok.gif

He literally goes out there not to be a modern mixed martial artist, but to put on a BJJ demonstration. This was essentially a "Gracies in Action" video under modern MMA rules. It's not going to win him any championships, but it's damn near unbelievable to watch in high level MMA in this day and age. A+.

This. Classic Bjj at it's best... just beautifull to watch... That's the bjj i fell in love with and the one I try to be good at! Respect! :icon_chee

His takedowns though are way better than those of the old gracie fights... He normally scores them from the fence but he did shot and was effective with it too... with just enough striking to set up his takedowns.

He really doesn't look like an athletic kind of guy (for the pro level that is) and the man is 37 years old, but still his technique and knowledge carry him a long way... I really like his style.

He really doesn't look like an athletic kind of guy (for the pro level that is) and the man is 37 years old, but still his technique and knowledge carry him a long way...
i agree that he doesn't look like one, but he's definitely an incredible athlete.

i'm really bummed that he's 37 though, his time's slowly running out.

Maia destroyed Magny with slow but constant pressure passing. I remember Magny having a decent guard in some of his previous fights but Maia made him look like a complete white belt on the ground.

I would love to see a breakdown of Maia's passing. It almost looks like he's stuck in mud, yet his opponents simply let him pass to side control then mount or straight to mount. There is something he is doing with his weight distribution, positioning, or timing that should be studied.

Also the gable grip choke he did on the UNDERHOOK side was a thing of beauty.

He's left handed so it throws people off.
It obviously something else as well.

i agree that he doesn't look like one, but he's definitely an incredible athlete.

i'm really bummed that he's 37 though, his time's slowly running out.

Yes, he is getting older unfortunately. However, he's had an excellent mma career with a legit title shot (too bad against spider) and almost another one but gassed against rory.

I remember he started out BJJ and then went all K-1 on us, and now he seems to have gone back to the roots. Great fight to watch.

He literally goes out there not to be a modern mixed martial artist, but to put on a BJJ demonstration.

And what's more is that he beats high level fighters while going out of his way to not hurt them. Watch this interview to hear him explain his humane approach to fighting.

[YT]DSC5tfzTzJ8[/YT]

I think he has definitely been trying to become a complete fighter. He never really got the striking to work (remember K1-Maia?), but his wrestling has improved titaniously over the last couple of years. He used to be so awkwardly slow when shooting in, and only got the TD from against the fence, but now he shoots a lot faster, and when doing so, he changes the angles so fluently, so his TD completion rate seems so much higher.

It was a beautiful fight to watch.

Props to Maia - that fight was a top 6 fighter facing a top 15 fighter. Brother had no chance!

Maia destroyed Magny with slow but constant pressure passing. I remember Magny having a decent guard in some of his previous fights but Maia made him look like a complete white belt on the ground.

I would love to see a breakdown of Maia's passing. It almost looks like he's stuck in mud, yet his opponents simply let him pass to side control then mount or straight to mount. There is something he is doing with his weight distribution, positioning, or timing that should be studied.

Also the gable grip choke he did on the UNDERHOOK side was a thing of beauty.

I have studied Maia's fights and, like everything else in Jiu-Jitsu, it is all in the hips. For instance, his transition from side mount to mount is a step over but the way he does it is soooo perfect. He keeps all his weight on his opponent and his grounded hip. With his free leg he steps over but doesn't transition any of his weight, he keeps himself grounded. Only once he has it over does he use the leg to pull his hips over onto his opponent.

For his half-guard pass to mount, he has two. He goes tripod and begins to pass the knee to the side for one and once he only has an ankle left in half guard, shifts his weight to upperbody and pops his "trapped" knee to the other side and lands in mount before moving the last few inches to free his foot. His other pass is a bit of a cheat for when he is pushed down towards his opponent's feet. He drops his free hip to the ground and points his knee up in the air and suddenly, his ankle is only trapped by his opponent's ankles instead of being squeezed by his knees. He then just lifts his leg out and performs the step over mount pass I described above but now he his mounted just above the knees and moves up into the full mount.

Back