UFC 189 - Test results summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you would think the best fighters in the world are more likely to be genetic freaks than the rest of the population.

Some of it may be genetics but a lot of champion mettle is dedication and hard work and not genetics. I'll always be skeptical after I saw a special on Lance Armstrong (pre-PED scandal) that claimed he had a genetic advantage in how his blood takes up oxygen. Turns out it was just PEDs.

I'm not a medical doctor, just a PhD in biochemistry, so my knowledge is more theoretical than practical, but I agree, everything looks normal and Conor's/Lawler's results are completely in line with those you would expect from proverbial "genetic freaks."

I am not a doctor nor a PhD in biochemistry so my knowledge is that of the Sherdog level which means I have f#&cking no clue what all those numbers on that spreadsheet even mean.

My question is why does Conor's hemoglobin spike from 4.49 to 13.5. He is the only one with a control that spiked significantly. All the guys tested are nearly the same levels. Conor's jumps over 200%. I'm not a doctor but that seems suspicious to me.

That raised my brows as well. Average hemoglobin (grams per deciliter) in adult males is in like 14-18 g/dL range. How one could drop his levels that low? I don't think he lost a lot of blood before that test was taken or didn't suffer anything like a kidney failure, heh.

That low hemoglobin would have an effect on his conditioning (cardio) for sure. All the doctors on Sherdog could think of a reason for this drop (or sudden elevation?). Would blood doping do that?

When A Silva got busted and his results got released I took a real interest in this subject. I read a massive amount, talked to a few people in relevant professions and really tried to get a good idea of the value of this test as it's is currently used in the UFC. We can argue about how and why and if I am qualified to even offer an opinion, make Dr. jokes and all that (i do enjoy all that stuff) but if you want to hear one mans offering after having put in the work here it is.

I am not here to argue any specific little point of science, this is just my opinion based on decades of general involvement and a few months of specific directed personal research. It's not scientifically accurate but for 99% of us its just the best way to think of it. This is what I would tell a friend.

Don't waste your time. Ignore those testosterone results from urine tests. So many different things have an effect on them they become almost meaningless to you and me. Without having ALL the relevant info and knowing how to apply it using several different sciences you are wasting your time. Their are many, many legit experts in the specific fields surrounding this testing but for the most part they are self limited as to what they know precisely because they are so good. Don't waste your time.

I am not a doctor nor a PhD in biochemistry so my knowledge is that of the Sherdog level which means I have f#&cking no clue what all those numbers on that spreadsheet even mean.

Urine testing....

PH - normal ph of urine is in the 6.5 to 8.0

Andro - androsterone

Etio - etiocholanolone

DHEA - Dehydroepiandrosterone - normal range 1-9.5 ng/ml
of the samples taken 14 fall outside normal range, 6 within normal range.

Test - testosterone - generally between 270 and 1000 ng/dL so 2.7 and 10 ng/mL
Of the sasmples taken, 10 are within range, 10 are outside range, some excessively so

T/e - T/E ratio - ratio of Testosterone to Epi-testosterone in the system. Most men are 1:1, but .7 to 1.3 is a pretty normal variance within that. Wada consider anything over 4:1 to be doping. NSAC consider 6:1 and over doping.
Lawler at 3:1 and Bermudez at 2.6:1 are getting close to what WADA would consider doping. however they are both as low as 1:7 and 1:3 respectively for other tests

blood

haemoglobin - normal range for male adult 13.2/17.3
All samples analysed normal

hct% - percentage of red blood cells in the blood, usually between 38-51 for a healthy adult male (over 50 is considered doping by wada)

retics/retic% - retics are immature blood cells. Number of retics as a percentage denotes percentage of new blood cells in the body. Normal is between about .5% and 1.5%, although generally for most people its around the 1% mark. Low retics can indicate blood transfusion, high retics can indicate EPO use.

Off score - a formula combining the various elements of the blood profile. ( off score is Hb x 10

That raised my brows as well. Average hemoglobin (grams per deciliter) in adult males is in like 14-18 g/dL range. How one could drop his levels that low? I don't think he lost a lot of blood before that test was taken or didn't suffer anything like a kidney failure, heh.
?

Sorry, it was a typo. Ive fixed it.

Questions on Conors tests would be, the high Test and t/e ratio in the out of competition test., and the retic drop on fight night. As far as the retics go, need to analyse a lot more post fight blood tests to see if this is a common occurrence. (And really it needs blood taking both pre-fight and post fight) and this isnt helped by NSAC taking some blood pre-fight some post-fight. very inconsistent

With Robbie, his testosterone is very high out of competition, and t/e ratio high throughout. And his elevated retics needs more looking at but hard to tell too much from the limited data.

On the plus side, going purely on the numbers, i can see myself becoming a Rory fan.

That low hemoglobin would have an effect on his conditioning (cardio) for sure. All the doctors on Sherdog could think of a reason for this drop (or sudden elevation?). Would blood doping do that?

It's obviously wrong. Looking at the pdf, the correct number is 14.5. [And, TS has fixed it.]

Thanks guys, it sure was the simplest answer - a typo. Continue!

Dont foget thast the post fight test results dont mean much since male testosterone levels are usually day and night difference in the morning and the evening.

I think the ng/ml test must be off.. because there is no way Lawler had 5100 ng/dl testosterone level.. This is the number you get from injecting roughly 500-750 mg of a long ester testosterone per week.. ( roughly 5 to 7 times the amount a doctor would prescribe for TRT )

Dont foget thast the post fight test results dont mean much since male testosterone levels are usually day and night difference in the morning and the evening.

I think the ng/ml test must be off.. because there is no way Lawler had 5100 ng/dl testosterone level.. This is the number you get from injecting roughly 500-750 mg of a long ester testosterone per week.. ( roughly 5 to 7 times the amount a doctor would prescribe for TRT )

You didn't hear... he is just a genetic freak.

I read 51 ng/ml, and I immediately thought having 510 ng/dl, but actually 51ng/ml=5100ng/dl. I read again and yes... he had 5100ng/dl and then 12 days later 1500ng/dl :) and than on 11/7 1100ng/dl. :)

Or Conor... from 3400ng/dl to 510 ng/dl.

He is a genetic freak.

And than you have Chad Mendes who had 810ng/dl, which is all good and normal, until you read epitestosterone level 2500ng/dl and thus T/E ratio 0.33 :)

Yeah Idk I have my suspicions with some guys but I'll reserve judgement til I see some blood tests. Urine tests are pretty useless IMO

Some of it may be genetics but a lot of champion mettle is dedication and hard work and not genetics. I'll always be skeptical after I saw a special on Lance Armstrong (pre-PED scandal) that claimed he had a genetic advantage in how his blood takes up oxygen. Turns out it was just PEDs.

That's like saying "I heard pro bodybuilders had genetic irregularities that facilitate muscle growth but turns out it was all PED's. No, it was both. He was genetically the best AND he was drugged (just like everyone else).

I never believed he was natural though, you'd hear all the people get busted and yet somehow natural lance was winning? Back to my bodybuilding analogy it would be like assuming mr Olympia was natural, yet his competition are failing drug tests.

The more these tests get released, the more I question DC's results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back