UFC 189: Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes PBP (Discussion)

Great night of fights. Really good performance by Conor.

Everyone of you bitching about Mendes taking the fight on short notice seem to forget that Conor took a completely different stylistic match up on equally short notice.

But hey the Heavies are gonna heavy.

Was a great night of fights, and before Mendes lost the 2 weeks didnt matter, all the haters were still saying Chad would win lol.

Not really. I acknowledge his chin but he was controlled anytime he went to the ground.

I'm still pretty sure Aldo will win.

You also can't admit that Chad accepted the fight with little preparation and on short notice. If you can't see to that then you're a glaring fanboy.

How does the best wrestler in the division taking Conor down mean Aldo will win?

I get Mendes didnt have a full camp, but McGregor didnt have a full camp to train for a wrestler either...works both ways, but sherdoggers never acknowledge that.

He should have been training wrestling his whole career, he's supposed to be a MMArtist. 6-8 weeks of cardio training and changing opponents is a little easier than 2 weeks notice championship fight I'd say. Call me crazy.

Conor was brutally Media Fatigued and yet he still won the fight in impressive fashion.

Exactly. Yeah sure Mendes "only" took the fight on "2 weeks notice" as if the dude was just some fat slob playing video games up until 2 weeks ago. People don't realize Conor has been doing a shit load of media stuff like radio shows and interviews and really had less training time over the past two weeks than Mendes anyway.

He should have been training wrestling his whole career, he's supposed to be a MMArtist. 6-8 weeks of cardio training and changing opponents is a little easier than 2 weeks notice championship fight I'd say. Call me crazy.

just go to bed or something man seriously, youve been shitting on for 10 days now about mendes this mendes that wrestler that and you still cant be gratious in defeat like conor and his fans would be, shame on you.

AND WAR MCGREGOR !

How does the best wrestler in the division taking Conor down mean Aldo will win?

Chad was able to close in and stagger him even with his reach. He didn't have enough cardio, on short notice, to use his grappling.

Aldo's is a master of the fundamentals and is damn good at slipping and countering.

He's at least a better grappler in the sense that he won Brazilian championships although not at black belt level.

This fight will also allow Aldo to use his full arsenal instead of being limited like his fight with Mendes where the take downs were a great threat.

Chad was able to close in and stagger him even with his reach. He didn't have enough cardio, on short notice, to use his grappling.

Aldo's is a master of the fundamentals and is damn good at slipping and countering.

He's at least a better grappler in the sense that he won Brazilian championships although not at black belt level.

This fight will also allow Aldo to use his full arsenal instead of being limited like his fight with Mendes where the take downs were a great threat.

I'm sure Conor will have his hands up and won't be clowning as much as he was against Mendes.

just go to bed or something man seriously, youve been shitting on for 10 days now about mendes this mendes that wrestler that and you still cant be gratious in defeat like conor and his fans would be, shame on you.

AND WAR MCGREGOR !

I'm a gracious loser in most situations. Notice a lot of my favorite fighters have been rivals?.. derp

I just can't stand your wonder boy's character. He irks me.

Crazy

this is pretty pathetic, the reaction of some people.

It's like half the fight has been blocked out. It's MMA, remember? Conor delivered some pretty tasty kicks to Mendes's body in that first round.

Have you guys like banned body kicks in your gyms or something? Eat a few in the liver and ribs and then see if breathing is easy.

Anyways, it was an odd fight. Tells us really little about Aldo vs Conor, other than it will be the biggest fight in UFC history.

I doubt Aldo is as dominant on top of Conor as Mendes was, and I doubt Conor works him so easily in the stand-up.

What will be interesting is how much Conor improves his ground game in the coming months.

Oh, and McGregor has a chin and some grenades in those hands. A great combination to have going into any fight.

Don't really care about Aldo or Conor so I'm not as bothered as some of you. Congrats to the Conor fans and a shame to the Aldo fans. Your boy is done running. Judgement day. It comes for every champion. Came for Renan Barao, for Anderson, and for Fedor. Aldo's day is coming. Should be fun.

It's like half the fight has been blocked out. It's MMA, remember? Conor delivered some pretty tasty kicks to Mendes's body in that first round.

Have you guys like banned body kicks in your gyms or something? Eat a few in the liver and ribs and then see if breathing is easy.

Anyways, it was an odd fight. Tells us really little about Aldo vs Conor, other than it will be the biggest fight in UFC history.

I doubt Aldo is as dominant on top of Conor as Mendes was, and I doubt Conor works him so easily in the stand-up.

What will be interesting is how much Conor improves his ground game in the coming months.

Oh, and McGregor has a chin and some grenades in those hands. A great combination to have going into any fight.

Don't really care about Aldo or Conor so I'm not as bothered as some of you. Congrats to the Conor fans and a shame to the Aldo fans. Your boy is done running. Judgement day. It comes for every champion. Came for Renan Barao, for Anderson, and for Fedor. Aldo's day is coming. Should be fun.

Conor looked like a straight-up demon on the feet. Mendes looked like he was hit by a freight-train.

But Aldo has zero quit in him, and is big for the weightclass, and loves to bang. Should be a war between him and Conor.

Conor looked like a straight-up demon on the feet. Mendes looked like he was hit by a freight-train.

But Aldo has zero quit in him, and is big for the weightclass, and loves to bang. Should be a war between him and Conor.

Yeah. In round 1-3. Rounds 4-5, he's half the fighter. The weight cuts gets to him and he coasts through. That last Mendes fight was close and showed Aldo can be had in the later rounds.

If Conor manages to win 1 round in the first 3, it could be one hell of a fight as Aldo gases in the 4th and 5th like always.

I dunno.

Fought off two takedowns, scrambled to his feet against one of the best wrestlers in the division.

He wasn't great off of his back but he wasn't terrible.

Yeah, Chad was able to control position but the damage on the ground was about even. Conor arguably landed harder strikes from the bottom. As soon as Chad would try to pass, Conor was up on his feet, where he had a remarkably HUGE advantage.

Considering Conor only trained two weeks to take on a grappler, it's hard to say he'd be unprepared for the ground game in the future. The guy is capable of dishing out massive damage from any position. He's basically Uriah Hall with the complete opposite mental fight game.

Frankie would be a tough test for Conor (and, IMO, Frankie should be the favorite), as would Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson, and, yes, a rematch against Max Holloway (if he gets past Oliveira). If Aldo is clean and healthy, sure, that's a fight to make, but Brazilians going forward after July 1...can't count on them. After tonight, I'm not doubting McGregor. Dude is good, and he knows it.

Preach brother.

Yeah. In round 1-3. Rounds 4-5, he's half the fighter. The weight cuts gets to him and he coasts through. That last Mendes fight was close and showed Aldo can be had in the later rounds.

If Conor manages to win 1 round in the first 3, it could be one hell of a fight as Aldo gases in the 4th and 5th like always.

I just want to note than even though Conor got the W he was starting to look tired as well. Both of them cut a ton of Weight so those last few rounds could be slow.

Yeah, Chad was able to control position but the damage was about even. Conor arguably landed harder strikes from the bottom. As soon as Chad would try to pass, Conor was up on his feet, where he had a remarkably HUGE advantage.

Considering Conor only trained two weeks to take on a grappler, it's hard to say he'd be unprepared for the ground game in the future. The guy is capable of dishing out remarkable damage from any position. He's basically Uriah Hall with the complete opposite mental fight game.

Frankie would be a tough test for Conor, as would Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson, and, yes, a rematch against Max Holloway (if he gets past Oliveira). But after tonight, I'm not doubting McGregor. Dude is good, and he knows it.

But let's not kid ourselves. He had no idea how to get out of that position. That is not good and needs to be addressed if he is to have a long stint as a Champion.

Oh, and Conor should get used to the hard cuts and forget any plans of going up to 155. lol. Can you imagine Khabib Nurmagomedov getting his hands on him? lol. wow. Khabib will break him, easily.

I just want to note than even though Conor got the W he was starting to look tired as well. Both of them cut a ton of Weight so those last few rounds could be slow.

True. But Conor looking tired had to do with a mini bodybuilder lying on him for about 7 minutes.

Aldo gets tired no matter the fight, whether he's dominating or in a struggle. The weight cut is getting harder and harder for him as he ages.

Back