UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz PBP (Discussion)

Ergh, as much as the result I pretty much agree with, the scoring system is a SHAMBLES.

Please for the love of god bring in the Pride/One system that has judges who understand the game JUDGE a fight as an entirely.

This sparring/point striking nonsense is killing mixed martial arts FIGHTING

Silva won in a very unimpressive performance against a guy who never fought at 185 and Silva easily can fight at LHW. Even though Nick didn't do much, he was still able to clown Silva, stand in front of him with his hands down and not get hurt at all.

Goes to show how good and relevant Nick still is, and will be a serious contender should he choose to go back down to WW.

He should get the title shot, at the end of the day he's only really lost to GSP in that division since returning.

Silva didn't feel old, he just looked puzzled on how to deal with a confident opponent who didn't fear his standup, which is basically the MW division Pre-Strikeforce. It helps a lot to fight people who are afraid of you.

He even said himself in bad English it was the 1st mentally strong opponent he had ever fought. Also, Silva struggles when he doesn't have someone getting frustrated & chasing him. It happened with Ryo Chonan, Maia etc

With all that said, I thought this fight with Diaz in the fetal position on the ground, after eating too many shots to the body/legs. I hope Silva fights a top 5 MW, because it would be fun to see him get bullied.

Glorified sparring session, what a shitty main event...

It was frustrating that both of them refused to engage in any meaningful way. You had a few exhanges, but no follow-ups.

*in Anderson Voice* hehe I back.

On a more serious note, what a boring main event. Looked like they were sparring at the local gym.

Ergh, as much as the result I pretty much agree with, the scoring system is a SHAMBLES.

Please for the love of god bring in the Pride/One system that has judges who understand the game JUDGE a fight as an entirely.

This sparring/point striking nonsense is killing mixed martial arts FIGHTING
Do you think Nick would've won under that system or that they would've fought differently?

I think this fight could've benefited from open scoring, so Nick could've known he was losing. But really an honest corner man could've served that function too

He should get the title shot, at the end of the day he's only really lost to GSP in that division since returning.

For real? Earning a title shot by not getting embarrassed against top competition? If he could maybe win a fight against a ranked guy, I'd love to see him fight Robbie again. Maybe if Robbie loses he can fight Nick

Come on guys we all know UFC is sports entertainment, the rankings are just for hype and sales. Just embrace it.

UFC should just make Diaz vs Lawler. It would easily be the best selling fight at WW and easy to hype. Just have to use the angle on how Diaz KO'd Lawler over a decade ago (well the casuals won't know it was over a decade) and how Robbie wants his revenge.

UFC can easily spin it "Oh Robbie's the champ and wants to avenge this loss thats eaten away at his soul for years, rankings take a bench in special situations like this."

People don't lie, you want to see Diaz vs Lawler. I can't help your lying to yourself, even if you don't think you want to, you subconsciously want to.

I said in the text you quoted that I'd love to see this fight, but not now, not like this

after watching the fight you really cant justify anderson being the #1 mw contender. more like 8-10. the top 5 would wreck him

after watching the fight you really cant justify anderson being the #1 mw contender. more like 8-10. the top 5 would wreck him

I'd not rank him
as a fan, he's not had a mw win in years to justify ranking him
Because of his age and career I'd match him against a top five and see how he does
he needs to do better than he did last night against a better opponent to get a shot

First off, if you think Diaz won that fight, you might not be intelligent enough to read, and im sure these words look like ancient Hebrew to you..

Ive watched the fight two times now, the 2nd time to more to critique than enjoy. Andy handidly beat Diaz, its not even a question, but his more important victory was over his own mentality. He was hesitant in spots, particularly early on, was showing rust and a reluctance to commit or trust his instincts. However, for someone in his position, his main objective was simply to win, no matter who was in front of him. His objective was to overcome the hurdles in his mind about his place in this sport, and prove to himself his own capabilities, which he did. The problem is, he has set the bar of expectations so high that when he fails to meet or exceed it, detractors of his feel they have ammo against him.

Of course this is a fight he shouldve won, but lets put things into perspective. 13 months ago his leg was snapped and only several months ago he was struggling to kick a friggin swiss ball. He came into this fight rusty, with no momentum and a cloud of doubt and pressure looming over him. For 25 minutes he was in control, he moved well up on his toes, he looked sharp, he dodged and rolled punches, showed a tighter boxing game than in either Weidman fights, remained calm and handily took all rounds.

He looked exactly how he shouldve looked, for people who were expecting some reverse elbow KO or another front kick to the face. And within the context of a man who snapped his tibia a year ago, coming off two losses, looked extraordinary. Now, he has momentum, the doubt has been expelled, the cobwebs have been shook and i fully expect to see a much less gun shy, much more comfortable A.S in the next fight, should it happen.

This was a note for people who dont appreciate what they are seeing.

Andy did well in his comeback. Please note he fought a guy with double digit losses, who hadn't won a fight since 2011, and was sitting on the bench watching his prime years pass him by for approximately 2 years, plus was a natural 170 pounder.

When GSP came back from his career theathening surgery the UFC brass, fans and press were calling for him to face Condit, Andy and Johny even though he had unfinished business with Nick who they already prepared for during an entire training camp. A guy who went on international PPV and told the world the legendary champion was faking an injury because he was hurt.

Georges didn't get a warm up fight vs an unranked fighter from a lower weight class who hadn't won in years.

Instead this is what Georges was required to do...
After his ACL surgery, within 12 months of his first fight back, Georges defended his belt 3 times against the following victims all of whom were ranked in the top 5 at the time of the fight: Carlos Condit (former WEC champ and UFC interim champ), Nick Diaz (former WEC and Strikeforce champ) and Johny Hendricks (eventual UFC champ)
Source #1:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/gsp-most-top-5-wins-hendo-most-top-10-wins-2483907/
Source #2:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/documented-top-ten-wins-mma-fighters-pride-ufc-2166169/

During that time he won FOTY (vs. Condit), did approx 1 million PPV sales (vs. Diaz) and FOTN (vs. Hendricks). His average PPV sales during those 3 fights was approx. 760,000, the average attendance was 17,417 and the average gate was $4.2 million.

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP won as many UFC title fights as the following fighters won throughout their entire careers: Jens Pulver, Chris Weidman, Brock Lesnar, Rich Franklin, Andrei Arlovski and Frankie Edgar *Source

Since returning from ACL surgery, GSP defended his UFC title as many times as the following fighters defended throughout their entire careers: Baby Jay, Renan Barao, Ben Henderson and Frank Edgar *Source

Let me know when you see anyone do that again. I'll wait.

I really hope this kid is getting paid to post that same shit every time. If not then it's just really sad, yet funny at the same time.

agreed. maybe him vs gegard or something. i just feel like if they rushed him to fast and put him in there with people like weidman, machida, jacare, rockhold, etc it would not be pretty

The main fear I have if Anderson vs Gegard is that long ago I said Gegard wouldn't have much a chance against Anderson, but now I think he would. Anderson has lost a step and Gegard can likely beat him now.

That said I'd have to watch it.

Lol thats too bad because its easiest and most profitable way for the UFC to set this up.

Nicks not going to beat any contenders, hes good for one WW titleshot and thats only because whose champ. If Hendricks was still champ we wouldn't even have this discussion.

It's Nick Diaz, rankings don't matter when his mouth literally makes money.

I just prefer they treat rankings like they matter for title shots :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back