UFC 182 was a major disappointment

Remember guys Lombard is gonna be champ by 2016

Awful card. Watched with some friends who already aren't that into MMA, and a card like this certainly won't have them wanting to join again next time. Awful.
Quite so. I had two friends over and they left after about three hours, partially because one of their siblings needed to be picked up, but I have a feeling they also didnt find it very entertaining.
Seeing Jones take down Cormier in the first minute of the fight was worth the $60.
That free single leg off a kick was about as meaningful as Gus takedowns of Jones. That is to say, not very.

That free single leg off a kick was about as meaningful as Gus takedowns of Jones. That is to say, not very.

Are you seriously going to diminish all of Jones TDs on Cormier in that fight?

Especially one at the very beginning of the first round when DC is at his freshest?

OrnateGregariousBernesemountaindog.gif

Are you seriously going to diminish all of Jones TDs on Cormier in that fight?

Especially one at the very beginning of the first round when DC is at his freshest?
Again, Gus took down Jones in the exact same way very early in their fight. So you can feel however you want, but just be consistent: if Gus isnt a better pure wrestler than Jones for taking him down off of strikes, then the same must hold true for Jones and DC. As it stands, they're basically brownie point takedowns, that look like something but achieve nothing. I think my point is legitimate because it's not my "opinion" that Jones was unable to take down Cormier again until the fourth round, it's a fact.

It's not enough for him to be the better fighter, he has to be the better wrestler too for catching a kick? A scenario which literally does not exist in the sport of Wrestling?

Getting a free single leg off a kick is not hard and has nothing to do with wrestling ability whatsoever.

The Big Brother Slam was more impressive seeing as how JJ actually went full Aldo for the first time in his career..

Why are people latching onto the kick catch as if it was a gorilla press slam or some sort of amazing suplex that set the tone of the fight?

Jones' takedowns later in the fight said something, if Jones fans want to be thrilled about those ones they should go right ahead...but the kick catch was not a wrestling takedown. Not worth weirdly bragging about that one.

I wouldn't say disappointing, but not worth the $50 I paid for it on my laptop.

I really enjoyed the top two fights, the first three were rather forgettable. Prelims had their moments. But a standard 7/10 card id say.

I really liked the main event, it was tense as fuck. I was rooting for DC but it was still a solid title-fight.

I wouldn't say disappointing, but not worth the $50 I paid for it on my laptop.

I really enjoyed the top two fights, the first three were rather forgettable. Prelims had their moments. But a standard 7/10 card id say.

I really liked the main event, it was tense as fuck. I was rooting for DC but it was still a solid title-fight.

7 outta 10? You are being kind friend. 182 was like watching weeds grow. Even cowboy appeared to be going thru the motions. Sure he kicked Jury's ass, literally, but that was the most exciting moment of the main card for me other than jones 5th round hail mary top of cage grab to save his noggin.

Flyweight fight was tough to watch, I'm a big fan of nate but he looks done. 5 years ago he woulda shut down a pointfighter like Tavares. Brad is fucking boring

Last edited:
Remember guys Lombard is gonna be champ by 2016

Lol. The Lombard hype makes me think dude is one of those gym fighters. An absolute murderer in the training room against top guys but for when he's in the octagon he freezes up or just isn't that guy. Kinda like what people used to say about Mike Pyle.

However you slice it I fail to see this killing machine Woodley and others are said to fear

I haven't actively watched MMA in about 2 years, I'm just getting back into it.

And I'm glad to see the Sherdog tradition of every card ever spawning a disappointment thread has stayed tried and true.

Is there still threads bitching about the decision, every time Shogun loses one?

Never change Sherdog, you are the exact same as when I was 17. xD

I'm not shocked by the hate but I enjoyed this card from top to bottom. Sure it didn't have that stand out war or brawl or back or forth wild crazy shit that the casuals all may clamor for, but I got to watch great fighters that I enjoy with great friends.

We go though this every month with some card or another and I feel bad for fans out there who have such displeasure in watching events.

Lol. The Lombard hype makes me think dude is one of those gym fighters. An absolute murderer in the training room against top guys but for when he's in the octagon he freezes up or just isn't that guy. Kinda like what people used to say about Mike Pyle.

However you slice it I fail to see this killing machine Woodley and others are said to fear

Come on man, you can't compare the careers of Lombard and Pyle. Hector was ridiculously cautious last night, overly patient. Maybe Burkman had some real sting on those early counters and made him that way. It's easy for us to talk shit about his performance, but he could have been badly hurt the whole fight. Burkman landed a few vicious shots early on when he still was fresh. And Lombard landed bombs that would put most fighters to sleep. There's a reason Burkman has never been TKO'ed. And there's more to fights than oh this guy is #6 so he automatically knocks out this barely top #20 fighter in 1.1 seconds! That's now how fights work man it's style against style, Burkmans great chin/mental toughness/patient, sly veteran style was able to survive(barely) Lombards boxing heavy, no 70% punches style. Lombard kicked the hell out of his legs, and almost any other fighter would have been rocked hard from those uppercuts/hooks. Burkman earned just enough respect from those hard, early right hooks to hold Lombard back from fully teeing off against the fence. Awful fight for the most part tho. And why no talk of Paul Felder?

You thought it was gonna be a good card? It was very weak on paper. This card was going to live and die by the main event.

Cerrone/Jury and Horiguchi/Gaudinot were pretty good imo. Other than that, not very good.

Come on man, you can't compare the careers of Lombard and Pyle. Hector was ridiculously cautious last night, overly patient. Maybe Burkman had some real sting on those early counters and made him that way. It's easy for us to talk shit about his performance, but he could have been badly hurt the whole fight. Burkman landed a few vicious shots early on when he still was fresh. And Lombard landed bombs that would put most fighters to sleep. There's a reason Burkman has never been TKO'ed. And there's more to fights than oh this guy is #6 so he automatically knocks out this barely top #20 fighter in 1.1 seconds! That's now how fights work man it's style against style, Burkmans great chin/mental toughness/patient, sly veteran style was able to survive(barely) Lombards boxing heavy, no 70% punches style. Lombard kicked the hell out of his legs, and almost any other fighter would have been rocked hard from those uppercuts/hooks. Burkman earned just enough respect from those hard, early right hooks to hold Lombard back from fully teeing off against the fence. Awful fight for the most part tho. And why no talk of Paul Felder?

Not comparing their careers per se just their reputations. And yes I know how tough burkman is but hector looked like he didn't even care.

And felder stole the show. I was talking strictly about the main card. You or no one else will convince me that it wasn't gar-bage

Yeah it felt a bit slow, but i haven't been that excited for a very long time.

I'm not shocked by the hate but I enjoyed this card from top to bottom. Sure it didn't have that stand out war or brawl or back or forth wild crazy shit that the casuals all may clamor for, but I got to watch great fighters that I enjoy with great friends.

We go though this every month with some card or another and I feel bad for fans out there who have such displeasure in watching events.

I do get your point but that wasn't worthy of fans spending $60 hard earned cash.

In b4 streaming

Mma is just a little boring sometimes. That's it's real wall on growth.

You thought it was gonna be a good card? It was very weak on paper. This card was going to live and die by the main event.

Could not agree more. While DC/Jones was a good interesting fight the hype machine made it simply impossible to deliver the goods. The rest of the main card fell flat. On it's face that is.

Back