UFC 182 and what we can take from it

Double 99

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well this was not a great card and I feel sorry for anyone who paid $70 or whatever it was to PPV it. But there are several points raised by it:

(1) WMMA is dogsh*t.

(2) 8/11 decisions, including the whole main card. The way MMA and the UFC are evolving we are seeing more and more point fighting.

(3) 0/11 subs. See (2), the way the sport is evolving, gloves, rounds, decisions, stand ups, break ups, improvements in technique, sub grappling is becoming less and less important in MMA.

(4) The Felder and Jordan fights were cool though. I don't think a lot of people saw that coming from Felder, he looked great. Jordan I knew exactly what was going to happen. Explosive, athletic guys just can't really hang at HW I don't think they have the bulk or strength. Cormier being the important exception which we will come onto.

(5) As an exception to (3) I did enjoy Cowboy's omoplata attempt although he was only doing that because of how safe and in control he felt.

(6) Horiguchi and Cerrone obviously had their opponents nixcely picked for them to boost up their profile and 'move the needle'.

(7) The main event was confusing:

* Was never expecting to see Cormier outwrestled.

* Was never expecting Jones to rein in the eye pokes but he has obviously been told to reduce them for real by his employers.

* Of course when things started getting sticky he busted them out again though. When you push the needle the rules bend for you too.

* It is confusing that DC beat all those HWs but then loses at LHW. It seems counter-intuitive but I think the reason is he is not at his best at LHW. Look at his big chunky frame and body fat. When someone is able to tie him up and counter wrestle and scrap he will never be able to keep up for five rounds with a skinny fighter like Jones.

" Before I rewatch seems like DC won 2 out of the first 3 rounds but his cardio started to fade late in round 3. He was getting through with that uppercut a lot, I saw Glover hit Jones with that too. He was getting outstruck but clearly landing the harder shots, straight rights and hooks to the head, he was doing damage early on.

* Jones was basically just point fighting, he never really looked like he was trying to finish DC or did much damage.

* The most damage he did was with those body kick and hooks to the body though, which must have played into his plan to tire DC out.

* It was impressive how easily DC was able to close the distance and hit Jones. But he doesn't have his HW power at LHW.

* It was weird to see a taller, skinnier, rangier fighter prioritising hitting the body of a shorter, pudgier one. But obviously it worked and Jones doesn't have super KO power so it makes sense. I was impressed by how well Jones was able to implement his plan B, seeing that he couldn't keep DC outside. He is a very good MMA wrestler.

* I still want to see DC vs Cain and I would rather he stay at HW

* Now people will say Jones would slay at HW but he wouldn't, he would get bulldozed by the big grapplers, he would probably get taken down by DC at HW too

* I think Gustaffson is the one to beat JBJ. That's the way MMA's headed, more and more standing and striking and point fighting, cardio, movement, defensive wrestling

For me the positive things about this event were the two real promising prospects in the prelims.

I was impressed by Jones, but the last two rounds were just point fighting.

I like wmma, but Dufresne is awful.

UFC still hasn't learned anything from two cancelled cards

marquardt is washed up

yea real sad to watch that. I thought after the Te Huna fight he still had some life in him but he looked just as flat and ineffectual here as he did against Tarec. And again that's a credit to who he was facing too. Tavares is no slouch anywhere. He may not be the most exciting fighter but he is very technically sound and composed. Had Boetsch not done what Boetsch does, Tavares would be in a very solid spot. Losing to Romero's wrestling is nothing to be ashamed of.

did you see the buy rate?? We are looking at maybe 1 million PPV buys.

MMA is better than ever.

TS....good write up except for your overuse of being confused.

WMMA is still relevant and one fight which should have been stopped does not kill WMMA. Rousey is still very exciting to watch and she is a polarizing figure. She is light years above her competition.

Marquardt - agree it may be time for Nate to hang them up. He looked so far removed from the fighter he once was in the octagon.

Cerrone is on a path of terrorizing everyone and he is making his mark as he works towards the belt. The dude is awesome calling out whoever and whenever. I have mad respect for the Cowboy and his "take on anyone anytime" method. He is living life to the max.

DC and JBJ was a pretty good fight. Kind of lackluster at times and not a real nail biter or edge of your seat kind of fight. Neither fighter had the other in any trouble or hurt. It came down to the wrestling and JBJ won it.

I am now a new Felder fan and look forward to following his next fights. I hope the UFC will put him in some tough fights....he belongs and I feel he is someone to watch in the LW division.

Biggest takeaway: Paul Felder has a ton of potential.

DC being better at HW just shows you how many heartless big stiffs are in that division. Just imagine what a Gus would do at heavyweight...

Back