UFC 173 Payouts Released

idk why people think 75k is so much money. after taxes, gym fees, nutrition, paying off coaches, he probably didnt make that much, plus he took a beating. boxers make mma fighters look like walmart greeters when it comes to pay

Renan should be grateful for that 75k! If he doesn't like it he should find another job that pays more :rolleyes:

Lawler making bank.

Jake also makes a pretty penny. He needs to get himself together or he'll end up like the other Jake in the WW division...

It's his Strikeforce contract. SF paid accordingly.

150k per win might be "low" if you consider him being the champion. But lets be real here, he's the champion of a division the casuals don't care about. The casuals direct money, and they love the heavier guys.

I think 150k makes sense. How many times does he fight in a year? 3 times? so he makes almost 500k if you consider a bonus here and there as long as he wins (which he did for a long ass time). Not bad for a job you love.

People seems to forget, this money ain't the whole package. Sponsership, PPV deals, and under the table perks are also included.

Finally, the 11K/11K myth can die.

Fucking guy walked away with more than $100k for getting his ass beat for four and a half rounds.

When you are the champ it is, 148k and 22k are pathetic. Why is Barao barely making more than Ellenberger, you can try tp spin it however you want but 75k is chump change.

Saying $75K is chump change (which I haven't even argued with) is also a very different argument than saying that $148K and $22K (or $74K and $11K) are in the same ballpark, for anyone. For an up-and-comer, a reigning champion, a veteran on the downside of his career, a TV weatherman, or anyone else: there is a very big difference between making $148K for 3/4 months work versus making $22K for the same time period. To say differently suggests a severe detachment from reality.

So the #1 p4p made 5 times less than journeyman, non champion, boxer Mikey Alvarado?

mmapayout.com/2014/05/jmm-alvarado-on-hbo-score-1-2-million-viewers/

Good for Mikey Alvarado.

idk why people think 75k is so much money. after taxes, gym fees, nutrition, paying off coaches, he probably didnt make that much, plus he took a beating. boxers make mma fighters look like walmart greeters when it comes to pay

Speaking only for myself, I don't think $75K is "so much money." It's definitely more than enough to live on, hell it's more than enough for a family to live on, but it's nowhere near being "rich' by any stretch of the imagination. However, it's not in the "same ballpark" as making $11K.

Robbie made 200 thousnad? Holy shit, dude is making bank with or without that win bonus.

Garbage pay aside from Robbie. I'm not sure why anyone would pursue MMA as a career, if you're not in the upper 1% of fighters you'd have been better off sticking with your job as a plumber

Wow. Hendo took a paycut :/

Saying $75K is chump change (which I haven't even argued with) is also a very different argument than saying that $148K and $22K (or $74K and $11K) are in the same ballpark, for anyone. For an up-and-comer, a reigning champion, a veteran on the downside of his career, a TV weatherman, or anyone else: there is a very big difference between making $148K for 3/4 months work versus making $22K for the same time period. To say differently suggests a severe detachment from reality.

You sound like you are arguing just to argue now. How bout you actually address the real topic?

because he's in his 40's and he lost 4 of his last 5

he's a draw, ellenberger is not. he looks boring as fok in his last two. wins and losses isn't the calculus to look at.

Ellenberger being paid alot of money to show up and stare at this last 2 opponents for nearly 30 mins.

I'm pretty sure we all knew he wasn't getting 11k/11k.

Doing a search only over the last few months shows a large number of frequent sherdog posters were convinced he was making 11k despite (far fewer) people explaining to them how that could not possibly be the case.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/bob-arum-explains-why-ufc-fighters-get-paid-nothing-2681041/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f44/renan-barao-11k-show-11k-win-2665595/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...is-rival-without-belt-asks-raise-ufc-2722069/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...star-status-due-limitations-thoughts-2733105/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-will-get-paid-never-have-work-again-2666123/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/ufcs-weight-class-hypocrisy-2603447/

You can probably find a hundred posters in just those few recent threads who thought he was making 11k. To say people were saying otherwise despite people who knew better plainly explaining it to them is not correct. I agree a champion should make more but that is a different argument then "they paid himm, 11k the same as two years ago".

This very informed poster is also right below in this very thread:

74k for a guy Dana himselfs says is #1 p4p lol. 74k guys that's nba and nfl player snack money for the month but this the big leagues right... What's worst is now he isn't the champ so he will like be making 11k a fight again. He is going to have to was his clothes in the bathtub forever.

Last edited:
74k for a guy Dana himselfs says is #1 p4p lol. 74k guys that's nba and nfl player snack money for the month but this the big leagues right... What's worst is now he isn't the champ so he will like be making 11k a fight again. He is going to have to was his clothes in the bathtub forever.

It's his Strikeforce contract. SF paid accordingly.

Accordingly enough to not sustain themselves.

A lot of people keep saying this, but Robbie's payouts were a lot different. I would guess only the Koscheck fight was under the previous contract. UFC doesn't typically do big guarantees outside of guys with PPV money:

From AC payouts only:

Strikeforce

vs. Mahoef $100,000 (No win bonus)
vs. Sobral $85,000
vs. Souza $65,000
vs. Amagov $150,000 (No win bonus)

UFC

vs. Koscheck $95,000 ($10,000 win bonus) ($50,000 KO bonus)
vs. Voelker $78,000 ($78,000 win bonus)
vs. MacDonald $83,000 ($83,000 win bonus)
vs. Ellenberger $100,000 ($100,000 win bonus) ($50,000 POTN bonus)

Seems pretty obvious to me he got a pretty standard zuffa "fight for half your paycheck" contract in his second fight. Surprised so many are sayng he would still be on a Strikeforce contract. He is five fights removed from the promotion at this point.

Back