UFC 173: Jamie Varner vs. James Krause PBP (Discussion)

The fauxhawk is for people who want to look tough. The neatly trimmed bowl cut is for people who really are tough.

It can be thrown in, but generally is not the end of a fight unless the ref agrees. In boxing this is different.

It's not any different in boxing at all. Refs can choose to ignore the doctor's advice if he wants too.

You should quote the exact point in the massive script where it says that. For those of us who've been around since the start of this sport, it didn't used to be allowed.

Taken from that guys link.

REMOVED AS A FOUL- Throwing in the towel during competition

A fighter's corner, at the Commission's discretion, should have the option to retire his fighter in the quickest and most efficient manner possible, during competition. A corner person having worked alongside a fighter may recognize and accept what their fighter's capabilities are from past experience. It makes sense from a safety perspective to allow a corner to retire the fighter. If there is consideration that debris in the form of a towel entering the ring or cage may contribute to a disruption or confusion in the contest, then colored towels or special towels might be a consideration to be used.

If that doctor was a real man, he'd take that towel, wrap up Varner's foot, and send him back in there.

No crap. I'm just saying the ref has final say over everything.

So why did you post what you said about a doctor stopping it? You were arguing a towel throw being allowed to stop a fight. Need I requote your last 5 posts?

So why did you post what you said about a doctor stopping it? You were arguing a towel throw being allowed to stop a fight. Need I requote your last 5 posts?

He's saying if a corner throws the towel it's still up to the ref.

If the doc advises the fight be stopped, it's still up to the ref.

To say that the Ref has final say over anything. You originally said that you couldn't throw in a towel. You were wrong. Then you tried to spin it to say "it doesn't just outright stop the fight" well no shit Sherlock. Quit trying to twist my words.

Originally Posted by Joe McPherson View Post
It can be thrown in, but generally is not the end of a fight unless the ref agrees. In boxing this is different.
ME:
It's not any different in boxing at all. Refs can choose to ignore the doctor's advice if he wants too.

To say that the Ref has final say over anything. You originally said that you couldn't throw in a towel. You were wrong. Then you tried to spin it to say "it doesn't just outright stop the fight" well no shit Sherlock. Quit trying to twist my words.

Originally Posted by Joe McPherson View Post

OMG dude, you're being ridiculous. Wow, you think I'm dumb?

You mean to say your "common misconception" comment was that physically a corner is like handcuffed so that they can't throw in a towel? Way to twist things.

Read back our posts. The gist of what I was saying all along was that a corner throwing in the towel is meaningless.

You were arguing that a corner can throw in a towel and stop a fight.

You're brutal dude.

OMG dude, you're being ridiculous. Wow, you think I'm dumb?

You mean to say your "common misconception" comment was that physically a corner is like handcuffed so that they can't throw in a towel? Way to twist things.

Read back our posts. The gist of what I was saying all along was that a corner throwing in the towel is meaningless.

You were arguing that a corner can throw in a towel and stop a fight.

You're brutal dude.

It isn't meaningless. If it was meaningless then why do fighters have loses that say "towel thrown"? You're wrong bro. Use common sense.

EDIT: You honestly think that if a corner sees something is wrong in a fighter and he throws and towel and the refs sees and acknowledges it nothing will or can be done?

It isn't meaningless. If it was meaningless then why do fighters have loses that say "towel thrown"? You're wrong bro. Use common sense.

EDIT: You honestly think that if a corner sees something is wrong in a fighter and he throws and towel and the refs sees and acknowledges it nothing will or can be done?

Ur just backpeddling. Give it up.

You can't throw in the towel in the UFC - serious.

You can, at least last time I checked, only it's up to the referees discretion. They don't have to stop the fight if they don't think they should.

Which is idiotic. The corners job as well as the referees job is the safety of the fighter. If a corner feels like their guy has Had enough, then oblige them.

Back