UFC 173: A Turning Point in MMA

Kingfarthur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I want to preface this buy saying I love Barao, and I expect him to raise his ability and compete for the belt again. I do think UFC 173 raised the bar in terms of what we expect from are top tier martial artists.

First off, the Bantamweight division just got WAY more interesting. Instead of one dominator, there are many possibilities.

Could Barao beat TJ in a rematch?
How would TJ do against a healthy Cruz?
Could Cruz mash Barao like TJ did?
Could Faber fight TJ for the belt?
Does Assuncao Have what it takes to beat an improved Dillashaw?
Where does that Asian dude fit into the picture?
When will Faber complete the trilogy with Cruz?

As much as I was disappointed in Barao losing, I'm pumped for the future of BW, a now interesting weight division.

UFC 173: A turning point in the BW division...

BW absolutely opened up. Any guys at 145, or 125 that you guys can see competing at 135 now? Dodson would seem like an obvious answer but I think he is positioned well at FLW.

lol

pretty much

or we can go with

Any UFC in Which a Champ Loses His Title: A Turning Point in Their Division

Yep, you nailed it, I hardly think its the epic groundbreaking MMA event like the thread starter does, that's for sure. I can think of some real turning points in MMA, like important rule changes, Royce vs Saku, Fedor losing, Anderson losing etc as they had wider implications and indicated a real change. even though barao was undefeated and still is an amazing fighter, in terms of MMA as a whole, not a lot has changed really.

Could Barao beat TJ in a rematch? - YES
How would TJ do against a healthy Cruz? - WHO KNOWS
Could Cruz mash Barao like TJ did? - CRUZ HAS NOT FOUGHT IN TWO + YEARS
Could Faber fight TJ for the belt? - YES BUT MOST LIKELY NOT (SAME CAMP/ASSOCIATION)
Does Assuncao Have what it takes to beat an improved Dillashaw? - YES ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN
Where does that Asian dude fit into the picture? - PROBABLY 2-3 FIGHTS AWAY FROM TITLE SHOT DEPENDING ON TJ/BARAO 2
When will Faber complete the trilogy with Cruz? - MAYBE NEVER, MAYBE IN A YEAR, MAYBE IN 2 YEARS, CRUZ WANTS IMMEDIATE TITLE SHOT UPON RETURN

Yep, you nailed it, I hardly think its the epic groundbreaking MMA event like the thread starter does, that's for sure. I can think of some real turning points in MMA, like important rule changes, Royce vs Saku, Fedor losing, Anderson losing etc as they had wider implications and indicated a real change. even though barao was undefeated and still is an amazing fighter, in terms of MMA as a whole, not a lot has changed really.

Well, yeah I don't think its Gracie vs Sakuraba. Maybe I overstated it a bit. I do think its very significant for the Bantamweight division, it totally opens it up. I guess I should've worded the thread differently but sorry, I'm drunk.

Well, yeah I don't think its Gracie vs Sakuraba. Maybe I overstated it a bit. I do think its very significant for the Bantamweight division, it totally opens it up. I guess I should've worded the thread differently but sorry, I'm drunk.

Haha, no worries dude.. im having a drink too so cheers! :D

UFC 173: A turning point in the BW division...

This. Although I'm sure Dana likes having a champ who's a good looking American as opposed to a Brazilian dude with big ears who can't speak a word of English.

This. Although I'm sure Dana likes having a champ who's a good looking American as opposed to a Brazilian dude with big ears who can't speak a word of English.

lol yeah, I suppose you are right. dillashaw is much more marketable, especially to the casual fans

What it did was create a new potential star under 155, which they desperately need. It increased interest in Barao and Faber by default but there is still no way they can even think about headlining a PPV with a BW title match without strong undercard support like they had yesterday. But they've at least got the groundwork for an interesting division.

Best thing for their business would be to have Faber fight Cruz in a #1 contender's fight and Barao take on TJ in a title rematch. No matter who comes out of that, you've got a fight that people will want to see and will likely do business.

What it did was create a new potential star under 155, which they desperately need. It increased interest in Barao and Faber by default but there is still no way they can even think about headlining a PPV with a BW title match without strong undercard support like they had yesterday. But they've at least got the groundwork for an interesting division.

Best thing for their business would be to have Faber fight Cruz in a #1 contender's fight and Barao take on TJ in a title rematch. No matter who comes out of that, you've got a fight that people will want to see and will likely do business.

I would prefer to see Cruz vs TJ if cruz is able to return and barao vs Faber if Faber loses his next fight would also like to see wineland vs McDonald .

Could Barao beat TJ in a rematch?
Yes, but he won't

How would TJ do against a healthy Cruz?
Win decisively

Could Cruz mash Barao like TJ did?
Not a chance

Could Faber fight TJ for the belt?
Highly doubtful

Does Assuncao Have what it takes to beat an improved Dillashaw?
No comment

Where does that Asian dude fit into the picture?
He doesn't

When will Faber complete the trilogy with Cruz?
Most likely won't happen until they're both looking for their last paycheck

Back