UFC 173/174 the end of lighter weights headlining?

Calboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what do you guys think? Do you think Dana and the Lorenzo brothers have put the bantamweight and flyweight titles back to back to see if they can draw and worth keeping as properties of the UFC? they put mighty mouse on there biggest channel 3 times, and have hyping Barao up as some unstoppable killer....

my predictions for the ppv buys are as follows here

UFC 173- 180-220K
UFC 174-140-180K

these are pretty low even for the ufc now days. Is the UFC losing money on these PPV's, and if so does this mean the end of the flyweights and bantamweights headlining PPV's? you could even include Aldo but now it's expected hell draw shit.

Last edited:
No the bantamweight and flyweight titles were not done back to back on purpose. Originally the May PPV was Weidman vs Machida . June has always been less than spectacular as far as star power as it's between memorial day weekend and 4th of July. This is the first June PPV in years that actually hasa title on the line.
No the UFC is not losing money on these PPV no matter how low they are. PPV, ticket sales, TV rights in non US countries make them a lot of money on these events. Remember in Brazil they will be watchingC 173 on free TV that I'm sure the UFC has a massive deal with them. No end for flyweights or bantamweights heading PPV

I could see UFC 174 doing higher buys than 173, TBH.

174 looks like the better card to me.

Are you high?

I will take:

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ali Bagautinov
Rory MacDonald vs. Tyron Woodley
Ryan Bader vs. Rafael Cavalcante
Andrei Arlovski vs. Brendan Schaub
Ryan Jimmo vs. Ovince St. Preux

over

Renan Bar

I will take:

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ali Bagautinov
Rory MacDonald vs. Tyron Woodley
Ryan Bader vs. Rafael Cavalcante
Andrei Arlovski vs. Brendan Schaub
Ryan Jimmo vs. Ovince St. Preux

over

Renan Bar

lol wtf? theyre pretty similar cards buddy

pimp-slap-o.gif

Barao>Mighty Mouse
Cormier/Hendo> Woodley/Mcdonald
Lawler/Ellenberger>Bader/Fejiao
Mizugaki/Rivera>or= to Shaub/Arolvski
Varner/Krause> Jimmo/st rpeux

lol @ Cormier v Hendo being > Woodley v McDonald --- TWood vs Rory is actually going to be competitive.

lol @ Cormier v Hendo being > Woodley v McDonald --- TWood vs Rory is actually going to be competitive.

yeah it's going to be 3 rounds of rory sticking a jab and winning a 30-27. When was the last time you saw Rory in an EXCITING fight?

Hendo brings it every time, and DC has a point to prove. Also #1 contender LHW match> #1 contender WW match IMO.

Barao>Mighty Mouse
Cormier/Hendo> Woodley/Mcdonald
Lawler/Ellenberger>Bader/Fejiao
Mizugaki/Rivera>or= to Shaub/Arolvski
Varner/Krause> Jimmo/st rpeux

barao>mm
twood vs rory is wayyyyyy better then cormier vs hendo
lawler vs ellenberger is better but bader fejiao is a very fun fight
lol at the rivera fight being better then arlovski schaub...its the fuckin return of arlovski! ur white belt is showing

yeah it's going to be 3 rounds of rory sticking a jab and winning a 30-27. When was the last time you saw Rory in an EXCITING fight?

I believe Woodley is going to win that fight, and I highly doubt he is going to get stifled by a jab like Ellenberger did. It's going to be a competitive fight. I don't recall Rory 30-27ing Lawler via jab, do you?

Not even sure why I'm arguing with you, you're either a troll or just retarded when it comes to MMA.

I believe Woodley is going to win that fight, and I highly doubt he is going to get stifled by a jab like Ellenberger did. It's going to be a competitive fight. I don't recall Rory 30-27ing Lawler via jab, do you?

Not even sure why I'm arguing with you, you're either a troll or just retarded when it comes to MMA.

first off, lawler is not woodley. woodley tends to get a bit gunshy at times and robbie has a more varied striking attack. Also, people forget Mcdonald was winning that fight until he got a bit lazy.

btw, were not "arguing" simply we have no different views, so we are coversing.

LOL since when does fight competitiveness have anything to do with PPV buys. In terms of a draw

Barao-Dilashaw > MM-Bagutinov
Cormier-Hendo > Woodley-Rory
Ellenberger - Lawler >>>>> Bader-Fejao

Does watching on BT Sport for Free in the UK count as a PPV Buy for Dana? :icon_chee

LOL since when does fight competitiveness have anything to do with PPV buys. In terms of a draw

There's a reason why Chael vs Anderson 2 and Anderson vs Weidman 2 both sold significantly more PPVs than the first one.

Maybe because people thought it would be...dare I say it?...more competitive than the first.

There's a reason why Chael vs Anderson 2 and Anderson vs Weidman 2 both sold significantly more PPVs than the first one.

Maybe because people thought it would be...dare I say it?...more competitive than the first.

So you think 174 is going to do the same or more ppv buys than 173?

So you think 174 is going to do the same or more ppv buys than 173?

I think it could. MM isn't tested as a draw yet, and Barao has already proven that he is not a draw.

If I only have $55 and had to choose one, I would buy 174. Course, I like MM better than Barao and I feel most of the match-ups in general are better on the 174 card.

Back